Aloth approval (possible bug?)

CaptainBiscuit

Question

I thought I would post it here, as several people on this forum (in this thread https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/97900-aloths-approval/ ) as well as in other places reported that they are experiencing problems with Aloth approval stuck at 0 specifically with the player character. What made me think that this might be a bug and not due to unfortunate player choices is this quote about certain quest resolution path in Deadlight: 

It was the former. I got an 'irresponsible' penalty at each stage of that solution. (Except rigging the device, which seemed completely irresponsible)

I took the same path and did not get any reaction from him, positive or negative, whatsoever. 

• Like 1

21 answers to this question

I'm among those who are stuck at zero approval. No matter what I say, Aloth's approval rating of the watcher doesn't change in any direction. After hours of trying to find out whether it's a bug or not, I feel like I'm wasting my time with this so I've stopped playing. 

Aloth's opinion towards the protag doesn't seem to have any changes. I noticed this in my first play through all the way to Neketaka. His opinions towards other companions changes (but he doesn't banter about it). He did give signs of opinions on my interactions, but just didn't change one way or the other. I started a new save, got even more reactions, but got stonewalled again, even upon leaving Port Maje.

Talked with him about his problems, got loads of positive reactions, and still... 0. Is he just a tough nut to crack or is he bugged out of his gourd?

I hope devs will notice and fix this, seems like a bug indeed. For me his rep was stuck at 1 for larger part of the game no matter how hard I tried to say what he likes. Only got it fixed with console command mod from Nexus, some people also got it working with ingame command console.

I have been lurking on the forums for some time, but this is my first post. I've searched for this issue and haven't seen another thread for it, but if there is one then please point it out :)

I know that Aloth currently has some approval and past-choices bugs, so I am not sure if this is another one or if it's intended. My Aloth has two dispositions/reputations that appear to conflict--he is pro-autonomy (represented by the bird) and pro-stewardship (represented by the cage); the description for stewardship says that he supports "benevolent authoritarianism." Does anyone know if this is a bug, or intended nuance/hypocrisy on Aloth's part? I am using a created history with the "Aloth dismantles the Leaden Key and sublimates Iselmyr" choice.

• Like 2

I con confirm this. I created a History where Aloth dismantled the Leaden Key and accepted Iselmyr. He acknowledges that he's working against the Leaden Key, but he has both pro-Authoritarian and pro-Autonomy.

Perhaps that's even the source of Aloth's reputation bug - if those two are conflicting with each other it's no wonder so many people are getting stuck at 0 or 1 rep at best.

Especially if there's another disposition that's supposed to be there but is overtaken by one of the conflicting traits.

I'm using an "Aloth dismantles the Leaden Key and accepts Iselmyr" history and my Aloth only has "pro-autonomy". Maybe it has to do with that specific history?

Hmm. Can you tell me all the dispositions your Aloth has, if it's not too much trouble? Mine has:

Anti-Irresponsibility

Pro-Autonomy

Pro-Duty

Anti-Pride

Pro-Stewardship/Authoritarianism

Anti-Tradition

I finally managed to get Aloth to +1. Took me "only" 24 hours and re-loading conversations numerous times to test which answers resonate with Aloth. As someone suggested in another thread, I'd appreciate more accurate info on the approval of companions. The way they currently display approval is too ambiguous and not transparent enough.

I cannot get Aloth's first dialogue at 1 approval to trigger, ever. I can only get one when he hits 2 and there is supposed to be a line to trigger a romance there which I don't get, I assume because I never got the first dialogue from 1. Does he not get a dialogue at 1 approval?

Does anyone know if 1.0.2 addressed this at all? I'm just not playing the game until companion relationships are fixed.

No, companions bugs will be fixed later. 

How much later can we expect? I'm waiting on a fix before I play.

• Like 1

I think I have this exact same bug in my game. I can't seem to get any points with Aloth and his ending in PoE1 is that he is dismantling the Leaden Key and has accepted Iselmyr.

Edit: I actually do have one reputation point with Aloth but he does have both Stewardship and Autonomy as likes. I had posted this originally when I was away from my computer.

Edited by AdaliaStark

Hi, first post ever so apologies if I am posting in wrong section but just wanted to add that for me, Aloth has the same problem of never gaining or losing approval with my watcher (as far as I can tell) but also, he seems to have supressed Iselmyr when he didn't in my first game. He and Eder had a conversation about it, with Eder saying he missed Iselmyr, and I haven't heard her speak at all. He also has the conflicting personality traits outlined above, and he was supposed to dismantle the leaden key at the end of my first game, which doesn't seem like the path he's on now. I feel like his import hasn't worked. I know Eder's was broken and now fixed in theory, but haven't seen ant mention in the patch notes about Aloth. I am fully patched and up to date. I'll admit I haven't played hugely far into the plot yet as I'm mostly running side quests, about fifteen hours in, but I did expect to see a little approval or disapproval by now.