Giant Cave Grub in Old Town? Strategy?

I've made my way there and cleared about half the old town map, but I fail to get the grub more than half way every attempt.  Does anyone have any better suggestions than come back when bigger ? (chars are level 7 currently)

Hee, I kinda miss playing a game that already has a walkthrough, so I could answer this by research.  The hazards of new games. 

Thank you.

You can cheese the fight by constantly charming him with Serafin and knocking him down / interrupting him inbetween charms.

I found this to be the only way as he is one-shotting. At least on POTD.

This way you can kill him.

• Like 1

You can cheese the fight by constantly charming him with Serafin and knocking him down / interrupting him inbetween charms.

I found this to be the only way as he is one-shotting. At least on POTD.

This way you can kill him.

He's one-shotting even on relaxed  :getlost:

But if you have an arbalest guy you can actually shoot him outside of his range. Stand next to the southern doorway and see it being useless.

• Like 1

Umm, probably a quest to find a mural for dieso, I believe the name is...a thug boss in the narrows.

Do you mean Dereo? He only gave me a quest to find the Cornett of Waves from Takano's Villa

I did beat him with level 6s but it was a tough fight and I only succeeded on the 4th try, the main thing for me was to spread out except when doing an AoE heal. Use potions when abilities are gone. Use grenades/bombs when abilities are gone. In my final successful fight eder and xoti was both down, but we finally managed to kill it.

Umm, probably a quest to find a mural for dieso, I believe the name is...a thug boss in the narrows.

Do you mean Dereo? He only gave me a quest to find the Cornett of Waves from Takano's Villa

Probably the quest after that. Also got that quest, but I didn't want to give him the conch. When I got the other one and went through the undercity areas, the game treated me like I received the quest from him to enter the temple.

It's really rough but I managed it at 9 on Veteran with:

Eder (Fighter)

Pallegina (Paladin)

Aloth (Wizard)

Xoti (Priest)

PC (Swashbuckler)

I grouped everyone up right under the boss, used Aloth to debuff it with Expose Vulnerability and Combusting Wounds and tried to do as much damage to it as possible in that window. Xoti used healing spells (Got a lot of use out of Consecrated Ground, hence the tight grouping) and debuffs/buffs during that window when only the boss was up and the adds hadn't engaged yet. When the adds came up, I focused on keeping them engaged as best I could while trying to burn the boss down. The Frighten affliction (Xoti has a spell and my rogue has a helmet that gives it) were really useful in peeling adds for a few seconds.

Chaining Knockdowns on the boss (helped that I had two Fighter-type characters for it) was really useful as well.

Edited by meixie

I was lvl 6 PotD. I used all kind of boosting and protective potions before the fight.

We snuck by him along the wall and killed the two grub nests and that little urn.

Then I used a number of summon figurines, as well as my summons from my characters (like your Herald), and I just had my custom AI shred that bastard. Though I noticed that the AI got distracted by a few worms still, so I had to manually click on the super grub's body to keep them focussed on him, while my constant healing did its work. You need to be able to stand a lot of heat in this fight.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

that thing is weak to Will afflictions, Serafen or anyone can Dominate it every time

which is great because your party can now attack dominated enemies and they won't instantly turn red

the only thing is, any summons you cast won't attack a dominated enemy

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

• 3 years later...

Struggled with a lv7 party a bit, then decided to ditch him and just sneak past.
On the way back I had to use Shadowing Beyond to avoid being one-shot, and while I was at it, I hit the bastard with Gouging Strike as a kind of a parting gift.

For some reason, I was never out of combat, though I already ran all the way to the edge of a map. Turns out, this thing literally never ends: the poor bastard just bled pure damage until death and I just had to hide and wait. I guess it's a suitable way for an assassin to kill the big game after all.

TLDR: Gouging Strike then wait.

Edited by xelnod
typo

Damage over Time effects usually prevent combat from stopping. Using Gouging Strike, Brand Enemy and/or Lover's Embrace from stealth are ways to kill any enemy as long as you can employ invisibility that doesn't break on DoT-ticks (most invisibility abilities work except Skaen's version of Shadowing Beyond and Arkemyr's Brilliat Departure iirc - use potion of invisibility when in doubt) and hide - or if the target is stationary/can't follow for other reasons just run away (like the Giant Cave Grub).

Only things that can prevent you from killing the big ones this way is not being able to even graze (e.g. Gouging Strike or Lover's Embrace vs. Belranga, Brand Enemy is an Auto-hit) and if the enemy has unlimited uses of a healing ability (e.g. some Ogres like Torkar have unlimited Robust-inducing potions) - and Huani o Whe because the two splitted oozes who will be there after his initial death will just merge back again at some point - and you can't prevent that from happening with the above DoTs alone. It works if you are a Cipher though with Disintegrate (will dissolve Huani without splitting it up as long as Huani dies while Disintegrate is working on him) - but it's very hard to hit him because his fortitude is enormous. Better to kill him with DoTs first and then Disintegrate his "kids". Another thing is if there's no place to hide (Water Dragon fight - if you want to fight him in the first place).

But in general you can kill everything with endless DoTs, yes. You just need a place to hide and patience. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

6 hours ago, Boeroer said:

but it's very hard to hit him because his fortitude is enormous.

While near death, try until you get a graze (Morningstar as a prequisite, Might/Con debuff can help).

Then use an insta-kill effect (Marux Amanth being the most reliable, albeit 1 Full attack use - pair with Sun & Moon for triple roll).

Seems doable, albeit not convenient.