Game fails to start if installed on Ext4 partition (Linux)

fakk2

Question

Hello

I installed GOG version to Ext4 drive on my ubuntu 16.04 and game does no start. It fails with exception "There is no data folder". PillarsOfEternityII_Data folder exists and seems named correctly, and file execution rights are given. However, if I install to a NTFS drive game works fine.

Other Unity games run fine from my Ext4 drive, including POE1

Would love to have this fixed, since my SSD drive is Ext4 formated.

Edited by fakk2

7 answers to this question

https://forum.unity.com/threads/there-is-no-data-folder-failure-in-clarc-unity-3d-on-large-xfs-partition-on-linux.277828/

Right, sorry. I checked the internet, it seems like the OS has a non-reported overflow. There are two workarounds mentioned, one is creating a loop to a smaller partition, and one of the Unity developers created a one-file-patch that needs to be installed.

Hello

I installed GOG version to Ext4 drive on my ubuntu 16.04 and game does no start. It fails with exception "There is no data folder". PillarsOfEternityII_Data folder exists and seems named correctly, and file execution rights are given. However, if I install to a NTFS drive game works fine.

Other Unity games run fine from my Ext4 drive, including POE1

Would love to have this fixed, since my SSD drive is Ext4 formated.

I've been able to play PoE II (Steam) on Ubuntu just fine with ext4. When you say the game works fine on NTFS, are you running it in Windows or in Ubuntu?

Do you have an unusual installation of Ubuntu? Can you can provide some more details about how you're running the game?

I am running the game on Ubuntu via NTFS drive.

The Ubuntu installation itself is nothing unusual, it may have been upgraded from 14.04 to 16.04, but I frankly do not remember.

I tried running the game multiple ways -> double click in file manager, ./start.sh in terminal, via referenced game in Steam, running the binary file itself, ... nothing worked for ext4

tried multiple ext4 drives, drives are mounted by OS, no custom mounting

I ran a strace on it, if it helps -> strace -s 64 ./start.sh

https://justpaste.it/3cht1

It won't ever work that way. Since you have the base system installed on an NTFS drive, it expect you to use a non-journaling filesystem. Since it doesn't find one, you get permissions errors. You shouldn't use multiple file systems that way.

What you could do on the other hand is install GOG/Steam on the ext4 partition, and install the game on the same partitiron. That should do the trick.

On the other hand, I find it strange that you could run other games that way...

(Oh, it's not a POE bug btw, but an OS one. As not allowing to change FSs during run could be considered as a bug.)

Edited by Kry

It won't ever work that way. Since you have the base system installed on an NTFS drive, it expect you to use a non-journaling filesystem. Since it doesn't find one, you get permissions errors. You shouldn't use multiple file systems that way.

What you could do on the other hand is install GOG/Steam on the ext4 partition, and install the game on the same partitiron. That should do the trick.

On the other hand, I find it strange that you could run other games that way...

(Oh, it's not a POE bug btw, but an OS one. As not allowing to change FSs during run could be considered as a bug.)

you misunderstood me. Ubuntu is installed on ext4, but the game does not run on ext4. I have an additional drive formated to NTFS and if I install this game there it works.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/there-is-no-data-folder-failure-in-clarc-unity-3d-on-large-xfs-partition-on-linux.277828/

Right, sorry. I checked the internet, it seems like the OS has a non-reported overflow. There are two workarounds mentioned, one is creating a loop to a smaller partition, and one of the Unity developers created a one-file-patch that needs to be installed.

I saw this before and ignored it, assuming it was obsolete.

-the patch, referenced there no longer exists

-tried the loop thing, with 1gb size  (to simple test) and mount it. I am sure this would work, if I did not have an NTFS disk alternative as a simpler solution.

anyway I decided to keep the game on my NTFS drive, until a normal solution comes along. maybe the problem will go away when I upgrade to 18.04

thank you for your time