Hello,

i asked the question myself a few hours ago but since nobody answered the question i tested it a bit for myself. Maybe other people here find it interesting/usefull.

What doesn't change the Damage:

- Type of Penetration: over- , under- or just normal penetration

- Type of Hit: Ofc a miss deals no damage but graze, hit and crit have no influence

- The Damage and Speed of the Weapon you attack with

What does change the Damage 100%:

- Might Bonus

- Weapon Quality Damage Bonus (Fine, Superb etc.)

What does most likely change the Damage but i didn't/couldn't test it:

- Whip damage (pretty sure about that because i considered the whip damage bonus when calculating the base damage of soul annahilation)

- Boni from passives like Backstab etc.

So after accounting for the additive percentage based boni SA attack with 10 Focus dealed 10 Damage. Every focus point after that gave 0.5 Damage.

So with 20 Focus you deal 15 Damage with 30 Focus 20 etc..

My first conclusions are:

- Since SA is a primary attack it's better to use it together with a big damage weapon (e.g. 2-hand sowerd with modal) if you have slower focus generation and big multipliers. But not because it changes SA damage but you most likely make your attack with as much multipliers as possible (e.g. backstab) so you want the damage of your weapon attack as high as possible. That's the case for most mulitclasses that will alternate bewtween one high damage attack to generate focus und SA

- If you have really high focus generation (e.g. draining whip or reaping knives later) and no conditional multipliers (single class soulblade) it might be better to use SA with a a fast small weapon since penetration doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that you don't waste any focus. 

- If you spam SA you only want as much accuracy so you make sure you don't miss and waste all your resources. But you don't want to invest more since really high accuracy doesn't do anything for you since crit don't increase SA damage. So rapier might be a good weapon for my single class cipher since it's the fastest together with other small weapons but if you get an enemy with rly high defenses you can active it's modal for much higher accuracy.

- If SA counts as shred cipher spell it would have really nice synergy with the high PL spell death by 1000 Cuts

- Multiclass soulblades might want as much accuracy as they can get since they want that juicy 20% crit and 30% overpenetration bonus for their big 2-handed hits

So that are my findings/thoughts so far. Feel free to add/correct stuff.

Edited by Sir Davion

Actually the damage of the weapon does influence SA. Not directly though.

But once you execute SA you will do an attack roll with the weapon, deal physical damage which generates focus and then SA dumps its focus into the raw damage. So with a heavy hitter your SA raw damage will be a bit (not significantly) higher.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Actually the damage of the weapon does influence SA. Not directly though.

But once you execute SA you will do an attack roll with the weapon, deal physical damage which generates focus and then SA dumps its focus into the raw damage. So with a heavy hitter your SA raw damage will be a bit (not significantly) higher.

Ah right i only tested on serafen and attacks on party members don't generate focus. That's actually a significant difference if you don't attack from max focus (esp. with draining whip).

Edited by Sir Davion