Enchantment selections dropping off?

jakl201

Question

So, how does enchanting unique items work, anyways? I've upgraded a few, but it seems like some choices are either taking them away without letting me know what they will drop off, or random enchantments are just falling off of gear without anyone telling me.

Best examples I can think of is Eder's starting armor and the sword Whispers of Yenwood. I chose Veteran's maneuvers to enchant, and now when I wanted to add others, all the other choices have disappeared besides turning it into 'exceptional'. With Whispers of Yenwood, I chose to make it 'Whetted', which added 15% crit damage. But now 'Silencing the dead' is gone from the list, which allows you to remove the negative status effect the sword gives. But two others, Unfailing and unfaltering are still there.

Enchantments that make a weapon upgrade to the next tier always are available. (So fine to exceptional, until you reach legendary at any rate) 

So. Do some enchantments cancel each other out, can a weapon or armor only have X enchantments, is this a bug? I have no way to tell. Anyone else know? 

• Like 1

8 answers to this question

Let me see if this works. Here's the basic armor enchantment list of Eder's Saint's War armor.

UThFSKk.jpg

These are the options when I have taken Veteran's Maneuvers and Veteran's Scars. 'Like a Steel Trap' and 'Rock solid' are missing. I never took these enchantments. 

qwsGvbG.jpg

I'm trying to convey that this applies to other weapons and armor as well. Here's Whispers of Yenwood. All I took was 'Whetted', but it dropped the skill that allowed one to remove the 'Whispers of the Dead' debuff from the sword.

Crg77ME.jpg

And here's a pistol where I only took one special enchantment. Think it had 3-4? But now all I can do is upgrade it. 

RJRGFRJ.jpg

So I'm trying to ask devs if these are bugs or not. 

• Like 1

I'd like to bump this because I have the same issue and right now it's very confusing to know what is possible to pick and what is not.

There is also a separate issue that sometimes I have all the ingredients and enough money, but the enchantment is greyed out in the list to the left. I don't know why.

There ought to be some way to let us know via the UI what enchantments will lock out others, and if there are branches. From the above, it sounds like if you e.g. upgrade to Excellent, it may be possible to upgrade further to Superb? Impossible to know this from the screen. UI indicators similar to the skill tree would come in handy, including a full overview of possible enchantments (like if it's possible to do Fine -> Excellent -> Superb -> Legendary).

Due to all this, I have yet to employ a single enchantment.

From what I have been able to tell, certain enchantments just...do this. Save before you enchant. The ones that wholly work are always the quality ones (fine, excellent, etc).

Most enchantments (but not all) overlap in some way. One weapon, for example, with fortify a bonus it has, another will add another enchantment to the same cast conditions. Picking one will cancel the other out.

Another example would be Whispers of the Endless. It's pretty cut and dry, there are two enchantments that give you different skills (one is a single target, other is multi), and two skills that are either offensive or defensive. 

Just takes experimentation, although yes, in future patches I would love something that told me 'hey, X enchantment cancels out Y'. Would make playtesting easier at any rate.

Only one I've found truly bugged is Eder's armor. If you pick something that *isn't* the last enchantment, it removes all the possibilities. Despite you being able to choose the lowest, and then pick another one. 

Will just have to wait for a patch, and the wiki to fill out for us to figure out what cancels what.

Some of the upgrades are exclusive, but game doesn’t communicate it in any way.

Yeah, I wrote it in another thread on this topic; enchantments are in general organized like skill trees with alternative upgrades. Most of the time you can guess which enchantments will be mutually exclusive (the ones that modify similar things, but for example one in an offensive and one in a defensive manner), but it remains guesswork, which is stupid.

Another thing I found: There are actually different enchantment "recipes". I stole the Kraken eye from the Kraken's Eye tavern and found another one somewhere, and these two Kraken eyes can be used to enchant weapons to superb (maybe only 2H, not sure), without further cost of cp or other ressources. The standard enchantment with money/gem/alchemy stuff still shows up next to it.

Edited by M4xw0lf