Swords have loads? Good. I almost picked devoted to sabre just because I knew that they were almost guaranteed to get a lot of love, I think they are the dev's favorite weapon type.

Two is really ****ty. 4-5 uniques at least per weapon type is more like it.

I think it's pretty telling that Eder, who won again and again as Most Beloved Character, starts out with saber proficiency and with a saber as his weapon.

• Like 1

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

I was just using the models as one thing I've seen a chunk of complaints on. I know I'm not the only one who is working on this. There were folks who made tweaks and changes during the beta as well. Anyway, back on topic!

Not really sure what else (besides discussing specific weapons) that can be said. Each enchanted weapon really has a lot of variety and deciding which route to take on enchantment is important.

Soulbound weapons are easy as they have a single route, but weapons you can enchant have several upgrade paths. That is something that I find interesting and couldn't have been easy to design.

Can you only apply a limited number of enchantments?

I don't normally care for double posting, but I feel this is worth it:

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/10

Someone already added a new weapon. How? I don't know, but I intend to find out.

It's great to be wrong sometimes :D

Also here: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98751-release-the-bloody-blossom-new-unique-pollaxe/

Edited by nstgc

It appears to be a "tree" of sorts. Some upgrades lock out other upgrades. I only did a cursory examination of how it functioned.

• Like 1

It appears to be a "tree" of sorts. Some upgrades lock out other upgrades. I only did a cursory examination of how it functioned.

Fascinating. Certainly something I wish I had known before I started upgrading stuff.  :banghead:

Good thing is is a throw-away run while I wait for patches to fix a number of problems, namely the import bug.

Edited by nstgc

Fascinating. Certainly something I wish I had known before I started upgrading stuff.  :banghead:

Good thing is is a throw-away run while I wait for patches to fix a number of problems, namely the import bug.

You can usually get a pretty good guess at which enchants are exclusive. They often have similar names, or they target the same feature to upgrade.

There are exceptions though. E.g. for Eder's Saint's Armor, the extra resistances are not exclusive, to my surprise.

You can usually get a pretty good guess at which enchants are exclusive. They often have similar names, or they target the same feature to upgrade.

There are exceptions though. E.g. for Eder's Saint's Armor, the extra resistances are not exclusive, to my surprise.

So you are saying named ones are exclusive, and generic ones can all be applied?

Aren’t they all named this time around?

Can quality enchantments go all the way up to Legendary on any item? IIRC Josh said during development that wouldn’t be the case but I’m not so sure now.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

No, only one step of quality can be added. At least that's the impression I got when looking at all the uniques and their enchantments. Exceptional can be enchanted to superb but not further. Uniques without quality enchantment can be upgraded to fine only (Xoti's Sickle for example). Maybe the enchantment UI changes (so that you can put on the next quality) once you upgraded the weapon - but I doubt it.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

With FreeRecipesToggle, once you upgrade to a quality level, the next one appears in the interface and can be selected. Granted, could be an effect of the console code but it would be an odd one—mutually exclusive enchantments remain mutually exclusive, so I don’t understand the extra quality enchantments. Oh well.

Edited by AndreaColombo

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I didn't look into it too heavily. So of course I could definitely be wrong. Or as AndreaColombo said, it could be a case of the console code permitting you to take it beyond one upgrade for quality.

It was interesting to see that there were multiple upgrade options available however.

The best way to find out the upgrade limits is to console a bunch of mats and do it without the freerecipestoggle code. 

This could be handy to know this for designing various Builds. Knowing the limits of specific weapons / armor could come in handy. Since some folks are already making builds that have synergy with certain weapons. One is up called the Green Knight and its built to take advantage of a specific Quarterstaff.

Ok, I just went and did a quick test. Consoled the gems needed for Quality. No freerecipestoggle code being used.

Whispers of the Endless Paths. Upgraded it to Superb.

Legendary appeared as an upgrade.

Didn't test it with multiple pieces of gear, but it appears if you have the coin and the mats, you can upgrade the quality of Uniques multiple times.

Disclaimer: Quality upgrade may vary from Unique to Unique.

• Like 4

Thanks for testing this. Best news in a while!

• Like 1

To Clarify:

All Uniques and Modwyr can be upgraded to Legendary Quality.

All Soulbounds save Modwyr cannot be further enchanted.

The limit (in the base game) is the number of crafting materials present, which I believe is only enough for 3 legendary quality upgrades but I didn't double check so I'm not sure.

That's great news. That was the one thing about the new enchantment system I didn't like. With that change I prefer it to the old system.

Same.

• Like 1

So you are saying named ones are exclusive, and generic ones can all be applied?

Generics can be applied to max.

SOME named ones are exclusive with other named ones. It's hard to tell but often they're often ones that are variations on each other.

For example, if your weapon has a daze on crit, one enchant might be extended the duration of the daze and the other might be upgrading the daze into a stun. Those will probably be mutually exclusive.

Edited by hippofant

Generics can be applied to max.

SOME named ones are exclusive with other named ones. It's hard to tell but often they're ones that are variations on each other.

For example, if your weapon has a daze on crit, one enchant might be extended the duration of the daze and the other might be upgrading the daze into a stun. Those will probably be mutually exclusive.

It seems the only really way to find out (without risking getting locked in) is to save cheat by adding the appropriate stuff, and then trial and error it?

in your list you write that serafen has 2 unique blunderbusses but afaik he only has the one (the other weapon was a normal pistol....or will he get another uqnie one later on?

There's a second one in the gamedata files, though I don't know how (or even if) he gets it.

Sorry, I don't have the answer. I just found the files and noted the numbers, along with cases where it obviously came with a companion.

Like Pallegina's armor. The names of the files made it obvious she'd only get one. So I listed that she had three options.

Hatchet has a weird one (for example). There are technically two xoti's sickles. One of them is named Xoti's sickle in game files, the other is not.

One is simply a hatchet (for type) that does slash/pierce damage and is called Xoti's sickle while the other has all the whistles and bells of Xoti's actual weapon and is ALSO called Xoti's Sickle.

Swords have loads? Good. I almost picked devoted to sabre just because I knew that they were almost guaranteed to get a lot of love, I think they are the dev's favorite weapon type.

Two is really ****ty. 4-5 uniques at least per weapon type is more like it.

To be fair swords having the most unique types is a rpg staple at this point.

Sorry, I don't have the answer. I just found the files and noted the numbers, along with cases where it obviously came with a companion.

Like Pallegina's armor. The names of the files made it obvious she'd only get one. So I listed that she had three options.

Hatchet has a weird one (for example). There are technically two xoti's sickles. One of them is named Xoti's sickle in game files, the other is not.

One is simply a hatchet (for type) that does slash/pierce damage and is called Xoti's sickle while the other has all the whistles and bells of Xoti's actual weapon and is ALSO called Xoti's Sickle.

maybe they list certain weapon upgrades/enchantments as separate weapons?