Most popular: Two classes with with good passive abilities that support each other or get an extremely powerful active abilities as part of a subclass, i.e. available throughout the game. In other words: 2xMartial.

Next most populst: One class with with good passive abilities and one class that benefits from it, while having active abilities that can improve the performance of the first class but doesn't bring anything powerful passively: In other words Martial+Caster.

Least popular: Two classes without good passive abilities, whose active abilities provide few synergies. In other words: 2xCaster.

Or perhaps I'm thinking powerful here, not popular, though the two are often the same when considering a large group of players.

Fortunately Chanter and Paladin are so generically good with strong passives buffs (and for Chanter, debuffs and damage via phrases), that they combo well with everything including Casters.

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

I don't know if popular or viable or I'm overlooking something better.

But I plan to make Solaire of Astoria from Dark Souls using Paladin and a Druid with the 'Sun Spells'

Don't think many peeps talking about Druid/Paladin Melee/Caster Combo

How's Shifter/Transmuter, The Master of Shape?

The Wizard Subclasses suffer from losing 2 schools of magic.  There are only 5.  So, you lose about 2/5ths of your spells, roughly.  You also have increased recovery time for all schools not of your main school.  In this case, you get a +1 power level to Transmutation and can turn into an Ogre, but you lose Enchanting and Evocation, and Illusion and Conjuration have +20% longer recovery.  If your ok with that trade then it will be fine.  I am of the mind that the cost is too steep for all 5 Wizard Subclasses, but you should be able to kick people's teeth in quite nice and look like Shrek doing it. 

• Like 1

Ogre form isn't as good as the druid ones (which last long enough) and just a waste as Shifter probably wants enchanter buff spells on him while in Animal form which transmuter does not get.  Shifter/Pure Wizard is a solid choice. 

Edited by Dongom
  • Like 1

Have no idea about popular or not, but I've enjoyed both ranger/rogue, which I play more like a bounty hunter than "scout".

I also enjoyed a ranger/druid choosing an animal form that matched my animal companion. Definitely more for hand to hand and using the passives and ranger subclass that benefits from being close to my side kick.

I tried to make what I would have considered a witch doctor with a barbarian/druid. It was fun, but seemed to lack some punch. Or maybe I built or played him wrong.

Joe

Most popular is monk plus most martial classes monk is absurdly powerful this time around so much that I won't play a melee class without it short of devoted plus soul blame

Well if you want abit more survivability for your melee paladin is great. +21 to all defenses (deep faith) and +12 aoe to all defenses when kill smth. Make you abel to be alot more offensive with your other chars and don´t have to babysit your fragile melee (monk/soul). Monk/soul got good hp sure...but cipher give no more defenseives to speak off and monk can sacrifice offensive abilitys for defensive but then your simply making a worse paladin. Sure you coud make a reatch build (pike/quarterstaff) but you still have to babysit him qute abit.

Most popular is monk plus most martial classes monk is absurdly powerful this time around so much that I won't play a melee class without it short of devoted plus soul blame

Well if you want abit more survivability for your melee paladin is great. +21 to all defenses (deep faith) and +12 aoe to all defenses when kill smth. Make you abel to be alot more offensive with your other chars and don´t have to babysit your fragile melee (monk/soul). Monk/soul got good hp sure...but cipher give no more defenseives to speak off and monk can sacrifice offensive abilitys for defensive but then your simply making a worse paladin. Sure you coud make a reatch build (pike/quarterstaff) but you still have to babysit him qute abit.

do the bonuses from faith and deep faith stack? so its not from 8 to 10 upgrade but 8+10?

And is the paladin affected by the defense bonuses when he kills something because someone wrote only his allies are?

The Wizard Subclasses suffer from losing 2 schools of magic.  There are only 5.  So, you lose about 2/5ths of your spells, roughly.  You also have increased recovery time for all schools not of your main school.  In this case, you get a +1 power level to Transmutation and can turn into an Ogre, but you lose Enchanting and Evocation, and Illusion and Conjuration have +20% longer recovery.  If your ok with that trade then it will be fine.  I am of the mind that the cost is too steep for all 5 Wizard Subclasses, but you should be able to kick people's teeth in quite nice and look like Shrek doing it. 

One of my hired adventurers is a Fighter(Devoted)/Wizard(Transmuter) with focus on Scepter, modal barrage with passive health regen works out well in the backline and the transmutation spells (Chill fog, slicken) prove to be useful in early levels. If anything that comes close to the backline, the transformation into Orge helps tremendously, as well.

Not sure how it'll be in later levels, however.

*throws smoke bombs in the thread and vanishes into the dark corners of the forums*

I played the first game with a Ranger (due to them coming with an extra fighter basically).

Ranger + Chanter seems like a good combination, since neither of them loses too much by not getting the most powerful skills. The Ranger/Chanter can conjur an upgraded Drake, which is probably good enough (can't do a Dragon though).

Ranger + Druid probably works well too. Both are nature and alchemy types and shapeshifting may be a good idea when you get surrounded by enemies.