Can the camera rotate, or is it fixed?

Traditional CRPG games like this never have a rotating camera. It wasn't until Divinity Original Sin came out that changed that.

This game, PoE, and the pre-curser "Infinity Engine" games are 2D backgrounds, unable to have 3D camera rotation. At least, that's what I think I remember reading so many years back.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

PoE and Deadfire are different. They are kind of "faux"3D: all the maps, backgrounds, buildings etc. are high-resolution, pre-rendered, handdrawn backgrounds that get enriched with 3D objects such as trees, enemies and the party. That leads to some funny things (try to cast a Rolling Flame up some stairs - that aren't really stairs but it's a flat picture) but imo it looks really beautiful and way better than a complete 3D environment. So there can't ever be a rotating camera whether Unity3D supports it or not. 

No idea about Pathfinder:Kingmaker. 

I also don't think it's a shame. Rotating cameras tend to confuse players' sense of direction. I absolutely prefer a fixed one. Being able to zoom in and out is great though.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

On 10/27/2020 at 3:06 PM, Boeroer said:

I also don't think it's a shame. Rotating cameras tend to confuse players' sense of direction. I absolutely prefer a fixed one. Being able to zoom in and out is great though.

Also if the level design and art teams are working from one perspective then the images tend to be clearer on what are traversable planes versus non-traversable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...