Almost all negative Steam user reviews are due to bugs

The import/history bugs, broken quests in Neketaka, and messed up relationship system really should not have gotten past QA.  No one in their right mind expects a game like this to be bug free, but this many broken quests and non functional or barely functional features is inexcusable.

What broken quests in Neketaka?  I literally haven't found one, I have found some strange ones that work a little odd, but they weren't broke.  Also those heinous import bugs were fixed in a patch that was available by the time you made this post?

Yes people have a right to be upset, yes you have a right to call out and report bugs, there is nothing wrong with that.

Just please stop calling the game broken, it is not broken.  You can boot it up, you can play it, you can complete it.  Could it be better?  Yes.  Does it need a difficulty balancing?  Sure does.  Are there some bugs?  Yes, there are bugs.

None of that means the game is "broken and unplayable" though.

My game is completely broken now. Whenever I try to load my last 5 saves it says 'Failed to Load Next Map'. Up to that point though I had only crashed twice and experienced only minor issues.

Honestly, the fact that the game manages to get a 85-90% score across review boards despite the sheer amount of bugs still present in the game is a small miracle, and reason enough to doubt those complaining about narrative/gameplay. If the latter two were worse than expected, alongside these bugs, the game'd been torpedoed as soon as it came out.

• Like 2

Currently the game's too buggy for me to play. I pre-ordered and everything, but I'm not going to actually try a proper playthrough until all the major bugs are officially fixed.

They've gotten some of the big ones (like Eder and Vera). But some things like the respec bug are still there.

Along with some apparently glitchy companion conversations and ship features.

• Like 2

I'm about 20 hours in now.  I can say, for my game at least, I've been consistently encountering bugs throughout that whole time.  Most can be fixed by a simple reload, but some have caused quest problems that I couldn't get around.  Judging by these forums and the subreddit, it seems I'm not alone.

Off the top of my head, I managed to break Harsh Medicine, Food for Thought, and the feuding families quest in Queen's Berth.  I also didn't realize until much later that both Eder and Pellagina did not receive the correct endings from my save game transfer, or that there were supposed to be punishments/boons from the gods (I pledged to all of them and went with Skaen cause I'm a jerk).  And I found out you were supposed to have Whispers of Yenwood and the reforged sword from Caed Nua if you did those quests.  Didn't have either in the captain's room.

I'm thinking of stopping my playthrough and restarting in a month or two after most of the bugs get ironed out.  I love the game, but it's difficult to keep going like this.  I feel like I'm not getting the experience that the developers, designers, and writers intended.

I’ve gone with the “wait till it’s fixed” idea too. On the upside, I can finish my POE1 play through... but I would have preferred the QA to have been adequately performed on 2 so I didn’t have to wait...

• Like 1

I'm about 20 hours in now.  I can say, for my game at least, I've been consistently encountering bugs throughout that whole time.  Most can be fixed by a simple reload, but some have caused quest problems that I couldn't get around.  Judging by these forums and the subreddit, it seems I'm not alone.

Off the top of my head, I managed to break Harsh Medicine, Food for Thought, and the feuding families quest in Queen's Berth.  I also didn't realize until much later that both Eder and Pellagina did not receive the correct endings from my save game transfer, or that there were supposed to be punishments/boons from the gods (I pledged to all of them and went with Skaen cause I'm a jerk).  And I found out you were supposed to have Whispers of Yenwood and the reforged sword from Caed Nua if you did those quests.  Didn't have either in the captain's room.

I'm thinking of stopping my playthrough and restarting in a month or two after most of the bugs get ironed out.  I love the game, but it's difficult to keep going like this.  I feel like I'm not getting the experience that the developers, designers, and writers intended.

I’ve gone with the “wait till it’s fixed” idea too. On the upside, I can finish my POE1 play through... but I would have preferred the QA to have been adequately performed on 2 so I didn’t have to wait...

you seem to have what others are lacking.........................

a brain

a brain

Dude, cut it out already. Someone having a different opinion from you does not make them brainless. I haven't seen such determination to be right at all costs since Trump.

• Like 4

a brain

Did someone mention food?

kEAFUNm.gif

• Like 4

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

My game is completely broken now. Whenever I try to load my last 5 saves it says 'Failed to Load Next Map'. Up to that point though I had only crashed twice and experienced only minor issues.

I think your saves are Ok. Happened with me too. I restarted the game and I was able to load my saves.

'Almost all negative Steam user Reviews are Due to Bugs'

And here I thought all negative Steam user Reviews (on any game) are due to whiny children, who's opinion is completely meaningless.

When there is an opinion we don't like we find a pejorative label for the person who has that opinion and we try to discredit them with that label, so that their opinion doesn't count anymore.

Let's just admit it already. Let's stop this game of pretending to be nice. Let's say it how it is:

If someone's opinion doesn't match our own then that person's opinion is invalid per default. And by giving that person a label we justify that.

So when can we finally start to actually discuss actual opinions without trying to discredit the person who has that opinion in order to make their opinion invalid?

This was originally a post about the negative reviews, being due to bugs...  As for why you think that I have a different opinion than the negative reviewers I'm not sure, interesting assumption.  I also think any positive review by random Steam users is completely worthless.  If you were walking down the street and some absolutely random person had a sign up saying 'Ask me about xxxx Game' would you care what they were saying?

I would much rather have a discussion about what a professional reviewer thought about the game.  Someone with a known track record, saying this is a game I liked / disliked could actually be meaningful (and much more likely to be well thought out than the spur of a moment complaint / gushing).  You could look back over their history, of games they've reviewed and you had an opinion on, you could decide if you generally like the same sort of game etc... 

Professionals (hopefully) would have enough knowledge (or be able to research the producers of a game) to give an opinion of the game as is, perhaps with a mention of 'x feature currently isn't working well', and not have their article devolve into "the game is unplayable because PotD isn't hard enough" or some other random complaint.  

Just to test it, I just loaded up Steam, and read the first two negative reviews I could find and they were basically the garbage that I expected.  One insisted the game was a bug filled mess and that you should wait until all the DLC and 'Final Patch' were out.  The next listed off all the 'broken' features which aren't broken (maybe they're not working 100% for 100% of the people but that's not the same).  According to this rando, you can't explore the game world, import save files, or progress a quest.  

And, to be 'fair' the first positive review, was 10/10 'The Gay druid turns into a Manshark'.  So... yeah.

Edited by Lokithecat

The import/history bugs, broken quests in Neketaka, and messed up relationship system really should not have gotten past QA.  No one in their right mind expects a game like this to be bug free, but this many broken quests and non functional or barely functional features is inexcusable.

What broken quests in Neketaka?  I literally haven't found one, I have found some strange ones that work a little odd, but they weren't broke.  Also those heinous import bugs were fixed in a patch that was available by the time you made this post?

Yes people have a right to be upset, yes you have a right to call out and report bugs, there is nothing wrong with that.

Just please stop calling the game broken, it is not broken.  You can boot it up, you can play it, you can complete it.  Could it be better?  Yes.  Does it need a difficulty balancing?  Sure does.  Are there some bugs?  Yes, there are bugs.

Look, I'm very happy for you not having any major bugs, but there are here others that do. And believe me, my playthrough is messy as hell. In Neketaka I can't finish any quests for Vallian Company nor even meet queen Onekaza. I can't reach Maia Rua, or director of the Rauataian company (sorry, forgot the name), because the game states that she's in palace, while she's not. She's at her office, but I'm unable to speak with her. Also I have broken quests on Tikawara and even the one with Furrante, who's now dead, but the game still wants me to talk with him. It would be funny, because as a Watcher I could do this, but as for the player it's only annoying as hell.

I had many problems, including Eder's wrong past and an orlan baby and being 50 hours in the game I feel things not improving at all. There are encounters where some of the monsters (or all of them) suddenly disappear and reapperar minute later - not due to their abilities but due to bugs. There are encounters where I can't do anything, because I had to kill five or six monsters (bounty hunt) and one of them just stands there doing nothing and completely out of reach. It doesn't attack me, but I can't attack it either. 

So please tell me: if I can't finish my quests with my two favourite factions due to bugs, is my game broken or not? And I even didn't started ranting about polish localization which is messy and even can't figure if I'm male or female.

Edited by Kirk
  • Like 1

The owls are not what they seem.

Look, I'm very happy for you not having any major bugs, but there are here others that do. And believe me, my playthrough is messy as hell. In Neketaka I can't finish any quests for Vallian Company nor even meet queen Onekaza. I can't reach Maia Rua, or director of the Rauataian company (sorry, forgot the name), because the game states that she's in palace, while she's not. She's at her office, but I'm unable to speak with her. Also I have broken quests on Tikawara and even the one with Furrante, who's now dead, but the game still wants me to talk with him. It would be funny, because as a Watcher I could do this, but as for the player it's only annoying as hell.

I had many problems, including Eder's wrong past and an orlan baby and being 50 hours in the game I feel things not improving at all. There are encounters where some of the monsters (or all of them) suddenly disappear and reapperar minute later - not due to their abilities but due to bugs. There are encounters where I can't do anything, because I had to kill five or six monsters (bounty hunt) and one of them just stands there doing nothing and completely out of reach. It doesn't attack me, but I can't attack it either. 

So please tell me: if I can't finish my quests with my two favourite factions due to bugs, is my game broken or not? And I even didn't started ranting about polish localization which is messy and even can't figure if I'm male or female.

I haven´t testet every possilbe combination, but it seems you can easily break a questchain by not doing them in the "intended" order. It seems like some quest triggers need fixing. I did some testing regarding Nekataka and found minor things like inconsitencies in the dialog, which is irritating at best or immersionbreaking at worst, depends on the person.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/99077-quest-sabotage-at-the-brass-citadel-cant-be-refused/ as an example.

That doesn´t mean that the game is completly broken - and I am saying that as someone who has ran into an issue - but you can break your save.

• Like 2

The import/history bugs, broken quests in Neketaka, and messed up relationship system really should not have gotten past QA. No one in their right mind expects a game like this to be bug free, but this many broken quests and non functional or barely functional features is inexcusable.

What broken quests in Neketaka? I literally haven't found one, I have found some strange ones that work a little odd, but they weren't broke. Also those heinous import bugs were fixed in a patch that was available by the time you made this post?

Just please stop calling the game broken, it is not broken. You can boot it up, you can play it, you can complete it. Could it be better? Yes. Does it need a difficulty balancing? Sure does. Are there some bugs? Yes, there are bugs.

I will repeat myself for the umpteenth time: I don't think the game is broken or unplayable. In fact, I've almost 100%ed my first playthrough (as well as I can with the broken quests).

But, to repeat myself again, here are a list of quests I've broken accidentally:

Cornett's Call

Harsh Medicine

Family Pride

Food for Thought

Clearing Out Crookspur

Terms of Trade

Glimpse Beyond

In addition, I seem to have somehow messed up the dialogue sequence with Queen Onezaka and Director Castol by interacting with Furrante, Master Kua, and the Wahaki in the wrong order. They've both mentioned things to me that haven't happened and asked me to resolve things that they already knew were resolved. Now I'm unable to get any more quests from either of them because their dialogue is stuck in a previous part of the questline trying to give me quests I've already done.

If you would mosey on down to the tech support forum, you'll see that all of these bugged quests and dialogues have been reported by many, many players, myself included. I've managed to find workarounds there for some of these, but others remain broken, maybe permanently in my current save file.

So I'm glad you didn't run into any broken quests, but clearly many others have. I have no idea what the rate of occurrence is, but based on how many things I've managed to break accidentally, I have to imagine it's quite high. Broken quests are something I consider to be major bugs. Not unplayable, though, unless it's something that prevents you from finishing the game. But like I said, "unplayable" is subjective. So keep in mind that your experiences aren't necessarily everyone else's.

• Like 3

I hear it's far worse than Skyrim, is it true? Because Skyrim is the worst experience I've ever had in terms of broken quests and buggertry.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I hear it's far worse than Skyrim, is it true? Because Skyrim is the worst experience I've ever had in terms of broken quests and buggertry.

It's true, if you believe so. You can now open a new thread with an all-cap click baity title like "BUGFEST! THE REVIEWS SAY SO!". Or something similar, you know ;)

PS. I played Skyrim day 1 and didn't stumble upon any bug either.  

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 2

It's true, if you believe so. You can now open a new thread with an all-cap click baity title like "BUGFEST! THE REVIEWS SAY SO!". Or something similar, you know ;)

PS. I played Skyrim day 1 and didn't stumble upon any bug either.

I don't know, I've never wrote or made any threads like that but I could if you so desire me to I guess.

And...

That's amazing.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

According to your profile, Sonic, you have backed the game. So maybe try playing it?

Why? I've said many times, I'm waiting fir the patches as the majority have stated to be experiencing bugs.

If they would hurry and patch the game, I'd be playing it.

• Like 4

According to your profile, Sonic, you have backed the game. So maybe try playing it?

Why? I've said many times, I'm waiting fir the patches as the majority have stated to be experiencing bugs.

If they would hurry and patch the game, I'd be playing it.

It's a reasonable attitude. I'd wait for a few more patches too if I didn't have to start work again next week. ^_^

Well, you've already had many people in this thread say its not broken at all. Don't know why suddenly asking now would change anything. You could also, you know, PLAY IT and find out for ypursef.

• Like 1

But, to repeat myself again, here are a list of quests I've broken accidentally:

Cornett's Call

Harsh Medicine

Family Pride

Food for Thought

Clearing Out Crookspur

Terms of Trade

Glimpse Beyond

In addition, I seem to have somehow messed up the dialogue sequence with Queen Onezaka and Director Castol by interacting with Furrante, Master Kua, and the Wahaki in the wrong order. They've both mentioned things to me that haven't happened and asked me to resolve things that they already knew were resolved. Now I'm unable to get any more quests from either of them because their dialogue is stuck in a previous part of the questline trying to give me quests I've already done.

Well that sucks, and I agree many of the quests work in a very odd manner.  I myself have had conversations with Furrante at the request of other npc's about issues I have already talked to Furrante about, and had to sit through him acting like we hadn't already had the conversation.  But the quest still worked after that.

Heck I went to a certain island before visiting anywhere in Neketaka other than queens berth, and yes, it lead to some really WEIRD conversations, like npcs telling me they would offer me work, only to immediately say they have no work go talk to xyz instead.  I assume their work involved that island.  That's really funky, but not broken.  I define broken as "it be broke, you can't do it".

To keep this Obsidian focused a great example of a broken game component I encountered once was in Fallout New Vegas. 

After screwing around for hours on end and doing craptons other than main story, I finally rolled into New Vegas.  I was promptly greeted by the sheriff robot who for some reason was severely damaged and about to explode even though the last time I saw him he was fine.  He immediately calls me a traitor to Mr House for destroying him ??? (I never so much as gave him a dirty look), he proceeds to explode, and I am now hostile KOS to Mr. House's faction.  That was weird, and it was broke.  However I didn't go insane about it on forums or reviews because I knew that had to be some perfect storm of nonsense I somehow did that I would never be able to figure out, and likely effected very few people.

So it sucks those quests are broke for you, I wouldn't assume that means they are broken for most people, or even a large percentage.  It sounds like you know you did things in an unintended way, and I know doing stuff in an unintended way on a crpg that has just released tends to break things.  That doesn't make it okay, but at least you can still beat the game without having an ending choice blocked off because some robot got mauled by a deathclaw or something and decided to blame you.

As for whoever managed to completely block off even talking to Onezaka, be real, you know that is some insane one in a million bug that is not effecting hardly anyone.  It really sucks it happened to you, I really do feel your pain, you have every right to be  pissed, report it to Obsidian, but also be logical.  The odds of that happening on anyone's playthrough is tiny, you probably don't even know how to reproduce it, or if it even can be re produced.  You can restart, I understand why you might not want to, you can wait for patches, you can even demand a refund and if I was Obsidian I would give it to you.

Just don't act like this massive storm of your game going to heck is normal, it clearly isn't because people are beating the game left and right, and no review outlet reported any bug even remotely that bad.  Even the negative ones.

• Like 1

The game is very buggy. So far three have very much limited my gaming experience:

1) Some problem with making it fullscreen (recent patch seemed to have fixed this)

2) Mouse clicks not working (workaround fixed this, but spent time researching it...)

3) Now I can't even press 1, 2, 3, 4, etc., to select characters...I mean wtf

It's obvious the Product Owner rushed this out before it was ready or they lack decent QA and beta testing.

I still will rate it good, because so far it's great, but this is annoying, even for an initial release.

• Like 1

Well, you've already had many people in this thread say its not broken at all. Don't know why suddenly asking now would change anything. You could also, you know, PLAY IT and find out for ypursef.
No, I said it's buggy. Not broken.

Master Guradian said it was broken in terms of balance...

I'm not ignorant to the fact that all the negative reviews are due to bugs, as the OP pointed out and the majority of positive reviews soeaking about experiencing bugs as well.

I don't need to play the game to realize these things, and again, not going to play it before it recieves proper patches. Not sure why this bothers you and others, I don't have an opinion of the game yet, just stating some obvious things that myself and others can see if they actually read the positive reviews. If I had my own opinion, I'd be stating my very thoughts on the game, however, the thread is abiut the negative reviews and seems like many are white-knighting in defense just because they aren't having issues with the game - which is fine, this is normal for internet behavior. Just saying, I'm waiting to be safe.

Edited by SonicMage117

Buggier than Skyrim?

People do remember it was impossible to finish Skyrim's main quest on release right? Due to an audio bug where an NPC needed to say a line and open the door but wouldn't so you couldn't finish that quest?

Yeah no deadfire wasn't that buggy.

• Like 2