Almost all negative Steam user reviews are due to bugs

I did complete the first playthrough with preset legacy and bugs and all and I did enjoy it, but in retrospect I'm really annoyed to learn that there is bug with bosses dropping their loot as random loot including unique items you can get only from defeating them :p I'm really annoyed at learning I was supposed to be able to get certain floating skull from first game as pet for second time.

I've come across some bugs, and especially the CTD ones are frustrating, but if you look beneath the surface of amount of threads in the technical support forum, the vast majority of threads are about fairly minor stuff. I've played 40+ hours so far, and can't say I've had a real problem with bugs. The game itself plays really well.

• Like 1

I have to say, after "fixing" the gamebreaking bug with entering the Sub-Arena with cheats, I have not ran into any other bugs.

That said, it is still inexcusable to put out a game that needs to be fixed by cheating the system or is unplayable on a whole operating system, so...

• Like 1

I first read this topic to say: "Almost all negative Steam user reviews are due to drugs."

Well this one might be due to drugs, who knows:

SpUXsdO.png

But it's from Metacritic, not from Steam.

The guy you quoted might have gone out of proportions with his criticism, but there is an element of truth to it. Writing in this game seems to be incredibly intellectually lazy, the dialogue picks you have during moral dilemmas are often just inane, and plenty of quests that obviously should have multiple branching choices boil down to a binary choice instead. It's ironic, that as they've so vastly improved the traditionally weak aspects of obsidian games, gameplay and overall world structure, they have also taken multiple steps back in the flesh and blood writing. Still, I really like the game, despite its flaws, and if (when) the bugs get fixed, I might just give this one a favorable review. Overall this game is still a huge improvement over Pillars 1.

Edited by Ninjamestari
  • Like 1

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

Overall this game is still a huge improvement over Pillars 1.

So what does that mean for the score of Pillars 1?

There aren't negative scores. Should there be an exception for Pillars 1? From all the games, ever made and criticized on Metacritic, Pillars 1 should be the one where a negative score should be allowed?

Or how would you like to express the "huge improvement" of Deadfire over Pillars 1?

The improvement is so huge, that a score of 0 is warranted for both games?

The guy you quoted might have gone out of proportions with his criticism

No, that does not explain it. You said "might".

So your sentence can be interpreted that way that you think it's rather unlikely that the guy actually went out of proportions with his criticism.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 3

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

That seems to be the general consensus.

There are a few people that think Deadfire is better, most are content that it's a bit below.

Sigh. Can you stop with your uninformed opinions? Have you even started playing the game by now or are you still trying to convince yourself that you shouldn't pick it up?

Deadfire has the same Steam user score and a higher Metacritic score (both professional and user) than its predecessor, for all that user reviews are worth seeing that the majority of them are pretty much vapid - despite a somewhat buggy launch. So in which world exactly does that lead to your "general consensus"?

Yes there are quite a few bugs, some minor and others more severe but the game is far from the unplayable bug-fest some of you are making it out to be. That obviously doesn't excuse the Eder thing, which is pretty mind-boggling, and the game would have benefited from some more QA, but what's done is done and what is left is for us to see how fast they are on the beauty treatment front. The patch coming tomorrow is a good start.

• Like 6

To those who have pointed out that PoE1 was in a similar state at launch: you're absolutely right, that's the whole point of this thread. Read the OP. I'm saying that this is following in the Obsidian tradition of releasing the game too early and fixing it over the next few months.

Wouldn't it be great for their next game if they could fix it before release? A year from now, Deadfire will deserve much better reviews than it got on launch, but most reviewers don't go back to update their scores. If Obsidian delayed the game more and fixed these bugs before release, it could get that score it actually deserves. Right now, one of the main features of the game has multiple major bugs that are noticeable in the first five minutes. If I were reviewing this game, that would be a huge red flag for me.

There are a few people that think Deadfire is better, most are content that it's a bit below.

Sigh. Can you stop with your uninformed opinions? Have you even started playing the game by now or are you still trying to convince yourself that you shouldn't pick it up?

Deadfire has the same Steam user score and a higher Metacritic score (both professional and user) than its predecessor, for all that user reviews are worth seeing that the majority of them are pretty much vapid - despite a somewhat buggy launch. So in which world exactly does that lead to your "general consensus"?

Yes there are quite a few bugs, some minor and others more severe but the game is far from the unplayable bug-fest some of you are making it out to be. That obviously doesn't excuse the Eder thing, which is pretty mind-boggling, and the game would have benefited from some more QA, but what's done is done and what is left is for us to see how fast they are on the beauty treatment front. The patch coming tomorrow is a good start.

It is the general consensus whether you like it or not. Would you rather me lie just because I'm here on the Obsidian forum? Positive and negative reviews alike, I'm not sure what's wrong with this though, it's not saying the game is bad.

Yes, its bugged to hell and back. There is an isolated (very small) peercentage who have not "noticed" any bugs in their plythrough but even positive reviews will tell you it's a buggy mess. We have no clue what the patch will do, hell, it may even bring new bugs or make things worse. At this point we don't really know.

• Like 2

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Both steam and metacritic reviews I see, place Deadfire at high "scores". I don't get the point of this thread right now. Also that proves the game has no gamebreaking bugs or any other kind of bugs that prevent people from enjoying it. I'm one of them. No serious bugs for me yet. 

Pillars 1 was supposedly at the same state, yet I couldn't find a single bug during my first day 1 playthrough. 

All this makes me think bugs are found in the more "niche" playstyles maybe, hidden in spots the majority of people wouldn't notice or don't care enough.

• Like 3

It is the general consensus whether you like it or not. 

Yes, its bugged to hell and back. 

Dude, it just isn't.

• Like 7

Dude, it just isn't.

No, of course people like you and me who are actually playing Deadfire, as well as the overall percentile are lying to themselves. The person who hasn't even touched the game and is basing the "general consensus" on a small percentage of cherry-picked Steam reviews is absolutely correct in their assumptions.

• Like 6

Dude, it just isn't.

No, of course people like you and me who are actually playing Deadfire, as well as the overall percentile are lying to themselves. The person who hasn't even touched the game and is basing the "general consensus" on a small percentage of cherry-picked Steam reviews is absolutely correct in their assumptions.

27% is not "a small percentage".

And also, as I've said before, the import/history bug affects everyone and is 100% reproducible. You and everyone else has encountered this bug. The fact that you haven't noticed these bugs does not mean they don't affect you.

• Like 1

Dude, it just isn't.

27% is not "a small percentage".

And also, as I've said before, the import/history bug affects everyone and is 100% reproducible. You and everyone else has encountered this bug. The fact that you haven't noticed these bugs does not mean they don't affect you.

It's 17%. It's also about the same as PoE1, despite most of the negative reviews being about bugs/crashes/performance, which again speaks volumes about the overall quality of the actual game.

And I didn't say that I haven't noticed any bugs; if you took the time to read my first post, you'd know that I even partly agreed with your OP.

Edited by aeoncs
  • Like 1

There aren't negative scores. Should there be an exception for Pillars 1? From all the games, ever made and criticized on Metacritic, Pillars 1 should be the one where a negative score should be allowed?

Or how would you like to express the "huge improvement" of Deadfire over Pillars 1?

So your sentence can be interpreted that way that you think it's rather unlikely that the guy actually went out of proportions with his criticism.

No, what it means is that you're quoting my words out of context and misinterpreting them on purpose. In other words, you are being incredibly dishonest and overall despicable. Now I understand that you as a fanboi might be butthurt when someone doesn't like your game, but that doesn't give you the right to start twisting my words in order to paint me as your opposition just for stating the fact that there is an element of truth to the criticism.

• Like 1

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

I think the most important thing is that big head mode works flawlessly. Anyone check yet?

P.S. There. Got my random Monday rudeness off my chest early on.

Edited by Jayngo
  • Like 4

No, what it means is that you're quoting my words out of context and misinterpreting them on purpose. In other words, you are being incredibly dishonest and overall despicable. Now I understand that you as a fanboi might be butthurt when someone doesn't like your game, but that doesn't give you the right to start twisting my words in order to paint me as your opposition just for stating the fact that there is an element of truth to the criticism.
It's a forum, isn't that how it always works?

Nevermind the fact that the negative reviews aren't really "negative" reviews which bash the game but point out it's faults but people here will white knight the game and defend it to the death because that's the goal of any based forum. Let's discard any legitimate criticisms to better the game because we want to make the game and devs look good. Who cares if everyone else has to suffer? ;)

Dude, it just isn't.

Stop your fanboying lol Playing the game has nothing to do with observing the reviews. What you or I think about the game is irrelevant, the topic is about negative reviews in general, the forums member's experiences are less trustworthy than that of say someone on Steam because at least they are less likely to be tainted with favoritism and bias. Alas, What I have been saying has been true, no matter how we try to sugar coat or justify these things.

The generic "You don't know what you're talking about" is no good here when any reader can look up for themselves.

Edit: Btw you're right, I haven't played the game, as many others, I'm waiting for the game to be patched so it can actually work, not that it matters.

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

I am a fanboy of Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire.

But that's not all! I am a fanboy despite having not even played the game yet! Bummer!

But that's not all either! I am a fanboy because I question how a "huge improvement" between two games can be expressed

by giving both games the score of zero.

Label using is so fun isn't it. Just label anyone a "fanboy" and you can dismiss their opinion as invalid, unworthy, not important or biased without having to explain anything. So there is just one thing I have to do. Find a label for you and call you that!
And then I could easily dismiss your opinion in a similar way.

But the weather is just too nice outside today. I'll leave this for a rainy day to do :)
Have fun! Enjoy the day! :)

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 6

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Well like I have said in many threads, I, too, am a fanboy of Obsidian and Pillars. Chances are - if you're an active member here, you're probably a fanboy. There are pros and cons to this.

However "fanboying" is a bit different, usually when members here start denying the faults if the game or bugs ir the fact that even the vast majority of reviews state that the game is buggy or that the game in some way or form isn't, then this is what paints fanboyism in a negative spotlight.

I just don't see what's wrong with pointing these things out as they will only help Obsidian ne a better team in the long run, on the bright side, I'm sure they are working hard to fix the severely bugged game and I bet the writing in the expansions will be better quality.

Thank you, you enjoy your day as well Fluffle, captain of the black isle bastards! <3

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 2

Stop your fanboying lol Playing the game has nothing to do with observing the reviews. What you or I think about the game is irrelevant, the topic is about negative reviews in general, the forums member's experiences are less trustworthy than that of say someone on Steam because at least they are less likely to be tainted with favoritism and bias. Alas, What I have been saying has been true, no matter how we try to sugar coat or justify these things.

The generic "You don't know what you're talking about" is no good here when any reader can look up for themselves.

Edit: Btw you're right, I haven't played the game, as many others, I'm waiting for the game to be patched so it can actually work, not that it matters.

Ah, of course, the obligatory "fanboy" when you've run out of arguments, not that you had proper ones in the first place. Your reasoning is a complete joke, based on cherry-picked second-hand experience.

Alas, you're making absolutely no sense no matter how much you try to hide your inexperience while not even noticing that you're showing way more bias than anyone else in this topic; like, do you have an opinion of your own or do you always parrot other people's thoughts and observations?

It wouldn't be quite as bad if there were any truth to the nonsense you're spouting but there simply isn't. As I've already pointed out twice, Deadfire has a slightly higher percentile than PoE1, for all that it's worth. So yeah, continue living in your little bubble devoid of common sense and facts - I really, really can't stomach more ignorance for the day.

• Like 1

Ah, of course, the obligatory "fanboy" when you've run out of arguments, not that you had proper ones in the first place. Your reasoning is a complete joke, based on cherry-picked second-hand experience.

Alas, you're making absolutely no sense no matter how much you try to hide your inexperience while not even noticing that you're showing way more bias than anyone else in this topic; like, do you have an opinion of your own or do you always parrot other people's thoughts and observations?

It wouldn't be quite as bad if there were any truth to the nonsense you're spouting but there simply isn't. As I've already pointed out twice, Deadfire has a slightly higher percentile than PoE1, for all that it's worth. So yeah, continue living in your little bubble devoid of common sense and facts - I really, really can't stomach more ignorance for the day.

This isn't an argument and I'm not the one trying to justify or excuse the game's bugginess and faults for the sake of manipulating the thread to one's own specified standard. Once you realize you're doing this, then maybe things eill go more smoothly for you.

Whether you deem the "second-handed experience" of reviews or not, you cannot disregard the fact that this is exactly what the thread is about or based on. You trying to validate that your own expwrience is somehow more valid than other's experiences just because they are not a member here (therefore cannot defend themselves and have a say) is quite underwhelming to say the least.

I haven't said anything untrue, the only one spouting ignorance here is you, if you're all about "winning" something that was never an arguement, if it makes you feel better, than I'll just say you win and give you the crown but it is quite clear that your opinion has no stance about the fact that the majority of positive reviews even states the game has bugs. There's no need to have hostility or any ill feeling toward me for stating other's opinions/experience. This has nothing to do with inexperience or knowledge, you've got it wrong... but yeah. You win, congrats!

• Like 1

I dont get it.... Why are you guys against reviews warning people about the bugs? 

Like, if I wasnt lazy I would have given them a bad review too. I don't play games for the combat system, but for the RPG element, so the import bug is a deal breaker for me (I got far enough to hear about Eder joining a cult and immediately rage quit... so like 5 mins into the game). Just cuz you care so little about the story that you can ignore/not notice glaring background inconsistencies and bugged character interactions doesnt mean the game isnt unplayable for those of us who care about that. 

If I hadnt already backed this game I would have really appreciated the negative reviews. Then I would have known to wait a few months before buying so that they had time to fix the bugs. Instead, I got all hyped and am now sitting here stewing cuz the game I paid for a year ago is unplayable.  

• Like 3

I dont get it.... Why are you guys against reviews warning people about the bugs? 

Like, if I wasnt lazy I would have given them a bad review too. I don't play games for the combat system, but for the RPG element, so the import bug is a deal breaker for me (I got far enough to hear about Eder joining a cult and immediately rage quit... so like 5 mins into the game). Just cuz you care so little about the story that you can ignore/not notice glaring background inconsistencies and bugged character interactions doesnt mean the game isnt unplayable for those of us who care about that. 

If I hadnt already backed this game I would have really appreciated the negative reviews. Then I would have known to wait a few months before buying so that they had time to fix the bugs. Instead, I got all hyped and am now sitting here stewing cuz the game I paid for a year ago is unplayable.  

Who exactly is against warning people about bugs? It absolutely should be done, especially for the ones pretty much everyone is experiencing. If I were a bigger fan of Eder / cared more for his story, I probably would have stopped playing right then as well. I already mentioned that it's mind-boggling to me how this went through QA and tbh, they should have rolled out an emergency patch/fix a day after release, at most.

Just saying that some other things are being blown out of proportion, which is always the case when a game releases.

• Like 1