From all we know from PoE1 as Watchers this is pure BS. Souls are often grinded to pieces and put back together before they are sent back. And the best BS always includes a grain of truth ;)

That's BS indeed. First of, there is no telling where the soul reincarnates next - it could be an animal, or two people sharing half the soul each. Second, Roparu caste seems to represent the majority of the population, so even if the gods deigned to temper with Roparu souls for them to be birthed in higher caste families there simply won't be enough bodies for all of them. And third, that kind of manipulation seems very hard to pull off, probably requiring some Engwithan machine, as gods themselves seem to rely on them to pull off anything major and I kinda doubt that Engwithans cared about doing that for the Huana, if there were a Huana at all back in the day. So I think this all is just like a real world BS with caste system - it is meant to pacify downtrodden classes of people with their fate so that they don't oppose the existing government of the ruling class.

Edited by Aramintai

None of these are good people by any modern standard. They're all acting in what they perceive to be the material interests of their respective nation, nothing more nothing less. It feels real and human.

You say that like it's a good thing.  ;)

---

One of things I liked about PoE I is that there were a couple of factions that, while they had warts, could be seen 'good', especially if one prodded them in the right direction.  Hell, even the bastard faction had one fairly decent option.

If all the factions are more warts than not (to put it mildly), that really doesn't appeal to me personally.  After all, I want to deal with Real Life, I'll stick my head outside the door.  Basically I want a faction that I can actually want to see succeed, not where I swallow my bile and look the other way.

Well, at least 2 of them can be percieved as semi-good (Huana / Royal Company). Both trying to bring some sense of order and stability.

Pirates are doing it just for the lulz or worse (depends on how you resolve their quests) and Vallians are in it for the money. To be honest Vallians actually look as the only clear 'bad guys', exploiting everything and anything for profit , including slavery. Even in the case of Beta Island where Huana are excited that their crap island will survive thanks to Vallians

are up for big disappointment - they want to shaft the locals anyway.

And if you want a faction to clearly succeed - choose watcher. You have an option to not side with anyone and finish the game.

Edited by Veevoir

None of these are good people by any modern standard. They're all acting in what they perceive to be the material interests of their respective nation, nothing more nothing less. It feels real and human.

You say that like it's a good thing.  ;)

---

One of things I liked about PoE I is that there were a couple of factions that, while they had warts, could be seen 'good', especially if one prodded them in the right direction.  Hell, even the bastard faction had one fairly decent option.

If all the factions are more warts than not (to put it mildly), that really doesn't appeal to me personally.  After all, I want to deal with Real Life, I'll stick my head outside the door.  Basically I want a faction that I can actually want to see succeed, not where I swallow my bile and look the other way.

I do think it's a good thing, yeah. There's no shortage of RPGs wherein your choices consist of "will you be Mega Jesus or Ultra Satan? Choose, but choose wisely...", it is refreshing to have some real choices now and again.

Real choices means having to make a stand on uneven ground, and not being able to be sure that everything will turn out.

• Like 1

Well, at least 2 of them can be percieved as semi-good (Huana / Royal Company). Both trying to bring some sense of order and stability.

Pirates are doing it just for the lulz or worse (depends on how you resolve their quests) and Vallians are in it for the money. To be honest Vallians actually look as the only clear 'bad guys', exploiting everything and anything for profit , including slavery. Even in the case of Beta Island where Huana are excited that their crap island will survive thanks to Vallians

And if you want a faction to clearly succeed - choose watcher. You have an option to not side with anyone and finish the game.

I dunno, I've seen all the endings and Principi and no alliance ones were the worst for the region.

Huana was very meh.

Rauatai was ok.

And Vailan Republics one was the best, imho, looking at the big picture of events. Just gotta stick with the old director at the trial, he actually cared for doing more than just grinding adra. Also that makes Pallegina happy, gotta stick with your old buds   :)

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 1

Real choices means having to make a stand on uneven ground, and not being able to be sure that everything will turn out.

I don't mind choices.  I do mind where everyone is pretty rotten.  One doesn't have to play "Mega Jesus" to want that.

Consider situations like this a good opportunity to ask yourself what you really believe in and where your actual values lie.

I dunno, I've seen all the endings and Principi and no alliance ones were the worst for the region.

Huana was very meh.

Rauatai was ok.

And Vailan Republics one was the best, imho, looking at the big picture of events. Just gotta stick with the old director at the trial, he actually cared for doing more than just grinding adra. Also that makes Pallegina happy, gotta stick with your old buds   :)

But that are the endings, not how the factions conduct themselves during the game ;) Also both Rautai and Principi have a sweet way of achieving final goal, so I add them points for that!

I'm with you there. So far, I've done the independent ending and VTC; the Vailian faction quests were great up until the last one, which requires you to kill a bunch of people (though the fight at the palace may be avoidable?). And they're slavers, which... ugh. I'll try Rauatai and the Huana next, but I'm worried they aren't going to be much better. At least the independent option is always available!

• Like 1

But that are the endings, not how the factions conduct themselves during the game ;) Also both Rautai and Principi have a sweet way of achieving final goal, so I add them points for that!

There was nothing sweet about any factions - they all selfishly worked for their interests undermining other factions in the process, not wanting to unite with each other even facing the mortal threat that Eothas posed for all kith. But if you mean you get to sail on secret ships then yea, that was pretty sweet.

So if I recall correctly:

Vailian Trading Company - blow up Rauatain powder storage, kill Rauatain leader and Huana prince at the palace. Somebody gets killed at Ukaizo too (Principi leader iirc).

Huana - blow up Rauatain powder storage, blame it on the Vailians. Somebody gets killed at Ukaizo too (Principi or Rauatai leader, don't remember).

Rauatai Royal Company - kill the Huana queen. Somebody gets killed at Ukaizo too (Principi leader iirc).

Principi sen Patrena - Huana prince and queen are killed at Ukaizo.

Edited by Aramintai

Btw, if anybody wondered where to find promised hidden ships:

-one is a submarine given by the Rauatai faction at the end of the game

-another is a creepy ghost ship you get by allying with the Principi.

Don't need to ally with them for the ghost ship. Also it's not even an amazing ship unless you're broke.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Btw, if anybody wondered where to find promised hidden ships:

-one is a submarine given by the Rauatai faction at the end of the game

-another is a creepy ghost ship you get by allying with the Principi.

Don't need to ally with them for the ghost ship. Also it's not even an amazing ship unless you're broke.

Well, it's part of their questline, but yea, it sucks. I loved the submarine though, looked very cool inside.

Depends on your values.

Huana - Traditionalist, rigid, naturalistic, best de jure claim to the deadfire

Royal Deadfire company - imperialistic, nationalistic, progressive, intrusive

Valian - Mercantile, less aggressively colonial than the royal deadfire company, slower and longer term plan, seems to suffer alot of in-fighitng and individual incompetence

Principi -PIRATES!

Obviously PIRATES! are the best.

I was thinking the Huana were the best until I got to the endgame, at which point I heard what they were proposing to DO to solidify their claim on the Deadfire and then I thought, hmm, Valia?  Oh wait, they were involved with slavers.  And Rauatai (Royal Deadfire Company) freely assassinates innocents for political reasons.  And the pirates are also slavers as well as being murderers and thieves. So they ALL suck.

I was going to go it alone but then I decided to support Aeldys in her bid for control of the Principi because she at least hates slavers and that way I got to sail a cool undead pirate ship that was . . . not as good as my ship with the expensive upgrades I'd bought.

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

Vailian Trading Company - blow up Rauatain powder storage, kill Rauatain leader and Huana prince at the palace. Somebody gets killed at Ukaizo too (Principi leader iirc).

Huana - blow up Rauatain powder storage, blame it on the Vailians. Somebody gets killed at Ukaizo too (Principi or Rauatai leader, don't remember).

Rauatai Royal Company - kill the Huana queen. Somebody gets killed at Ukaizo too (Principi leader iirc).

Principi sen Patrena - Huana prince and queen are killed at Ukaizo.

I supported the Principi and the Hazanui of the Royal Deadfire Company showed up at Ukaizo instead, so I suspect who shows up to fight with you at Ukaizo depends on which group has the next-to-highest degree of support from you.

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

I think it should be noted that the state the Roparu live in in Neketaka seems to be the exception rather than the rule. Tekehu and the prince both lament that the population size and the division of the city have further stratified the population and made it easy to forget the Roparu. In the smaller settlements like Tikawara the divide between the castes is smaller and if nothing else they're guaranteed food if it's available. True they are the lowest priority when divvying up resources, but it's still probably a better deal than the average peasant gets. I'm not saying it's a good thing by any means, just maybe not as made as it seems.

Btw, I didn't connect two and two at first, but if you complete Maia's quest about the missives, in the ending slides it is said that those Rauatai agents killed both Fort Maje's governor and Tikawara's ruler. Not to mention that Maia herself goes to assassinate somebody at the end of her quest. 

For most of Kana's endings, I can't imagine he would mind you siding against the Royal Deadfire Company.

In his progressive/eccentric endings he'd probably prefer you did side against them.

Edited by Fiaryn

Can anyone clarify how are the things with faction aligned companions? Do some of them leave you no matter what when you side with a faction that is not their own, or is there a way to avoid it? Perhaps they tolerate some enemy factions better than the rest (like, Maia would never side with the huana but would be ok with the pirates, or something like that)? 

I think I saw someone mention that Maia and Pallegina get kicked out by the queen in the huana storyline, but leaving them on the ship during the quest where it's suppoused to happen allowed them to stay with the player. 

Also, there is an option to complete the game without allying with any faction. For that you need to seriously upgrade your ship. The ending slides are quite chaotic though.

Hmm... I usually love "take a third option" choices. I might try this, but I hope it doesn't lead to disaster.

Also, there is an option to complete the game without allying with any faction. For that you need to seriously upgrade your ship. The ending slides are quite chaotic though.

Hmm... I usually love "take a third option" choices. I might try this, but I hope it doesn't lead to disaster.

It is pretty much the perfect rendition of "screw this I'm out." I've seen in a game though.

I kinda wanna be a pirate just for the sake of it (and a ghost ship apparently and also because they're stylish af) but prooobably not if their ending is just unrelentingly awful. I know, I know, pirates they're terrible people and etc but is there at least a little bit of leeway/room for interpretation or should I just veer towards the capitalists? 

I kinda wanna be a pirate just for the sake of it (and a ghost ship apparently and also because they're stylish af) but prooobably not if their ending is just unrelentingly awful. I know, I know, pirates they're terrible people and etc but is there at least a little bit of leeway/room for interpretation or should I just veer towards the capitalists? 

I think they might have variations. They should at least because the version of them that's okay with slavery can be disposed of.

• Like 1

I will probably go with Valian is future run.

I went with Principi because I love Serafen but even he is somewhat done with Principi after a few quests. The ending is decent for the deadfire.

Ruatai is the big bad of this one it seems. Everyone hates em and they use force to solve everything.

And Huanu is in the middle.

But the saddest part? You don't side with Valian, they send Pallegina to her death. Like WOW, OKAY. They also seems like the best choice for me and my "We don't need the gods anymore. It's up to us to look toward the future." approach anyway.