Ship crew ranks not changing?

PangaeaACDC

Question

Not sure if this is a bug or if there is something I'm not understanding, but have been in some ship combat and gotten experience, ranks and levels (not really sure what each do...?). From the tutorial it looks like crew from novice (in manned post) and up can gain higher ranks, but I'm not seeing any change. Is it supposed to be like that?

Same for the captain ranks and such, but I don't see any info there, and nothing shows up when I try to hover over 'my' picture in the ship UI.

I have seen sailor experience rise a little, but no change in ranks (novice to seasoned and suchlike).

Have attached a screenshot.

post-165682-0-78773400-1525952069_thumb.jpg

Edited by PangaeaACDC

8 answers to this question

Thanks. If that is how it works, that it requires multiple ranks to increase one level (say from novice to experienced, if that is the next 'level'), that information should be available somewhere. Right now the whole thing is a bit confusing.

Please put something about this in the cyclopedia* too. I looked around yesterday but couldn't find anything.

*damn Josh and his cycle fetish :cat:

Definitely works like that with the multiple ranks, on that I am sure as this is exactly what I could observe throughout a multitude of naval battles... I'm 30 hours in and story-wise have just visited the Queen for the first time in Neketaka, i.e. haven't even been to her first mission yet... have rather spent my time becoming rich(-ish) and getting a more powerful ship first, and by now I have a couple of Master level crew, they definitely had a multitude of "gained a rank"-ups, compared to only three level ups to go from 1 to 4.

You as the captain btw can level up until level 5, that much at least is explained in the Tutorial section of the whole Journal menu.

• Like 2

Aware threads are coming in thick and fast now, but would be great if somebody, official or not, could let me know if this is a bug or not and how this ranks feature is supposed to work. Because after 2 ship combats and getting feedback of many crew members gaining ranks/levels (including me as captain), I'm not seeing any change, and there is no hover-info for the captain (like for the others).

I sank the first ship, and the second I boarded after injuring some crew members on their side - hoping it was possible to get the actual ship (it looked quite nice).

Here's how I understand the system:

Your regular crew members have their skills, i.e. Cook, Deckhand, Surgeon, etc... they can only level up in skills they always had, they cannot learn new ones.

So even if you put a sailor without Cook in the galley, they'll never learn to be a Cook... if however you put a Cook in your kitchen, here's how that levelling up works:

-- In order to gain a new level, i.e. go from Level 1 Novice to Level 2 Experienced, you have to gain multiple ranks first -- after your crew mate has gotten a few rank ups, they'll eventually get a level up and become more experienced/efficient/effective at whatever their best job skill is.

If they have multiple skills unlocked, they can level up in all of them, but only if they are put in the corresponding position on your ship's crew... i.e. a crew member with Cook and Surgeon that's posted to the galley will only learn to be a better cook, not surgeon.

Regular crew can only gain 4 levels in total, Level 4 is Master [Whatever]... and on this I'm not sure, but for multi skill crew I believe they can only master one of those skills, but I could be wrong on that... haven't gotten anyone to two master ranks yet, so couldn't test it out myself.

• Like 1

Thanks. If that is how it works, that it requires multiple ranks to increase one level (say from novice to experienced, if that is the next 'level'), that information should be available somewhere. Right now the whole thing is a bit confusing.

Please put something about this in the cyclopedia* too. I looked around yesterday but couldn't find anything.

*damn Josh and his cycle fetish :cat:

• Like 1

I'm not sure this is true. I've seen multiple crew members gain a level and yet they didn't gain any stars. I'm more inclined to believe that "level" for crew is the same as "level" for your party. And so:

Rank = Sailing ability

Level = Combat ability.

• Like 1

Sorry to have left you guys in the lurch with regard to answering this question. It's exactly as CAlmond theorized. Rank is your crew/captain's stars in a certain skill and level refers to their class level for things like ship deck combat and the like. I hope that clears up any confusion. 

--Doug.

--Doug.

level refers to their class level for things like ship deck combat and the like.

--Doug.

But crew never joins ship deck combat, only teammate characters do. Or do they join if you don't have 6 party members?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee