Hey guys. I tried assassin a bit and the way backstabs now work is only the first instance of damage from stealth gets buffed (so dual wield is bad). Assassinate increases crit damage, so Im not sure if its actually more viable to go single weapon in order to get better crit rate or go 2h for more consistent damage?

Also, I tried soulblade with him as well, but I'm not sure if any of the cipher abilities gets priority over soul annihilation tbh? In the end I am not 100% sure is the multiclass worth the spec, given how a lot of spells have a long cast time and you're in melee.

tsgUO.gif

I am not sure about this as well, but at least I can give you some input on this matter.

Although dual wield doesn´t help with your opener, all rogue abilities are full attacks iirc, so you miss out on damage when out of stealth. 2handed might be still the most consitend option, but the recovery times are really high. One idead to circumvent that is switching weapon sets from single to dual after you are out of options to restealth.

I tried soulbalde as well and it was underwhelming for me at least. I am currently testing assassin/devotet, which has some synergies. Your are locked into one weapon, but you have +2 pen and +25 % crit damage with that weapon. The bonus penetration paired with crippling strike gets you a total bonus of 8 pen resulting in 15 pen with a saber for instance. A critical hit gives you another +50% penetration, so +30% dmg full pen might be a thing, at least on lower levels.

Backstab is pretty bad in current game version. It only adds base weapon damage x 1.5 bonus to your first attack from stealth/invisible.

So if you are wielding sabre 13-19 base damage, backstab bonus is = 24 extra damage. If you wield greatsword, you get around 30 extra damage. And since all your abilities are full attack ones, it's just bad to use 2h weapons now.

Edited by dunehunter

Backstab is pretty bad in current game version. It only adds base weapon damage x 1.5 total damage bonus to your first attack from stealth/invisible.

Doesn't seem bad to me at all in practice, played on PotD with a 2H weapon, the difference before and after backstab was noticable as stabbing stuff would most often result in an insta-gib.

I am not sure about this as well, but at least I can give you some input on this matter.

Although dual wield doesn´t help with your opener, all rogue abilities are full attacks iirc, so you miss out on damage when out of stealth. 2handed might be still the most consitend option, but the recovery times are really high. One idead to circumvent that is switching weapon sets from single to dual after you are out of options to restealth.

I tried soulbalde as well and it was underwhelming for me at least. I am currently testing assassin/devotet, which has some synergies. Your are locked into one weapon, but you have +2 pen and +25 % crit damage with that weapon. The bonus penetration paired with crippling strike gets you a total bonus of 8 pen resulting in 15 pen with a saber for instance. A critical hit gives you another +50% penetration, so +30% dmg full pen might be a thing, at least on lower levels.

Devoted seems nice, but the game is too new to figure out what weapon you are going to specialize in atm now I think. Unless you want to respec a lot that is.

Soulblade seems nice on paper, but I kind of always want to spend my cipher energy on the finisher thereby making the other stuff far less relevant. I mean why would I want to charm/debuff someone when I can just delete it?

Edited by Infiltrator_SF
tsgUO.gif

I just tested it: the off hand doesn't profit from backstab, even if you use a "full attack" ability. Sneak attack is calculated, however.

A pity, really - maybe a shield isn't the worst choice for assassins ???

Backstab is pretty bad in current game version. It only adds base weapon damage x 1.5 total damage bonus to your first attack from stealth/invisible.

Doesn't seem bad to me at all in practice, played on PotD with a 2H weapon, the difference before and after backstab was noticable as stabbing stuff would most often result in an insta-gib.

Devoted seems nice, but the game is too new to figure out what weapon you are going to specialize in atm now I think. Unless you want to respec a lot that is.

Soulblade seems nice on paper, but I kind of always want to spend my cipher energy on the finisher thereby making the other stuff far less relevant. I mean why would I want to charm/debuff someone when I can just delete it?

Fair point.

As it turns out, you cannot switch your weapon profency when respeccing, you only get to respec the levels after the first one, so you are stuck with your choice you made when creating the character.

Edited by Sarakash

• 2 weeks later...

I started Potd as a single class assassin with a rapier and a pistol for that piraty feeling, I quickly changed to great sword and then I rerolled as a Devoted/Assassin and there is such a huge difference in the early game, 

It does ton of damage and then at lvl 4 you can finally start use smoke bombs and vanish and backstab at least 3 times.  With the fighter modal you get +5 acc and +5 deflection and I can just tank like a champ, then I just use escape to say a quick hello to bothersome casters or ranged attackers.

In melee 1:1 yeah the finisher is usually the right choice. But if there are 3 melee units and a mage using whisper of treason on the mage is often more productive then finishing a melee unit. Similarly AOE abilities can outshine melee against multiple targets and the the debuffs can do wonders on a bosses. Cipher powers could definitely be better, but they have their uses.

I use single handed sword, to not miss any special attack. But that is with Soulblade.

Powers:

MindBlades/Amplification/Ring Leader for mobs

BodyAttumed/BorrowedInstinct/Recall Agony buffs

Eyestrike cheap

That is not many powers, but you are not limited by any pool.

Edited by evilcat

From a pure DPS gain Multiclass I would say it's hard to beat the Devoted Fighter for an Assassin.  Tons of toughness to survive melee.  Tons of buffs.  Great build.

I don't think you need toughness that much tbh. I'm finding that most of the time the cycle of stealth/burst > re-stealth leaves very little room for enemies to actually focus you down.

tsgUO.gif

Well it's more about AOE damage, which there is a lot in higher difficulties, combined with mind control effects / disables in POTD.  Like it's great that your assassin has insane sustain DPS, but he gets mind controlled because you didn't invest in defenses / you get killed the second combat starts because of the aoe burst damage of team monster, you're not doing it right.  Plus, the Fighter gives increased penetration, damage, graze to hit, etc..   The defense buffs are the icing of a very large DPS cake.

Edited by Noctaem

The best multiclass option in my opinion is Bleak Walker Paladin. As most bonus damage is now only additive, Flames of Devotion having essentially 40% multiplicative damage increase (50% with Eternal Devotion upgrade) is just huge. Also compared to many other melee attack abilities, it is Fire keyworded ability, which means it benefits from all Fire gear like Ring of Focused Flame, +Fire Power Level pet etc.. Most importantly, if one chooses to use two-handed weapons, the already ridiculously OP Chromoprismatic Quarterstaff is just nuts on this character, as Bleak Walker Flames of Devotion is tagged BOTH Fire and Acid, so the upgraded staff gives +4 to it's skill level, on top of obviously being the best two-handed weapon in the game hands down. Also paladins naturally have VERY high Defenses (my lvl 13 solo character with inadequate gear has 157 Reflex). Last but not least, Bleak Walker nicely complements the Assassin RP wise.

The best multiclass option in my opinion is Bleak Walker Paladin. As most bonus damage is now only additive, Flames of Devotion having essentially 40% multiplicative damage increase (50% with Eternal Devotion upgrade) is just huge. Also compared to many other melee attack abilities, it is Fire keyworded ability, which means it benefits from all Fire gear like Ring of Focused Flame, +Fire Power Level pet etc.. Most importantly, if one chooses to use two-handed weapons, the already ridiculously OP Chromoprismatic Quarterstaff is just nuts on this character, as Bleak Walker Flames of Devotion is tagged BOTH Fire and Acid, so the upgraded staff gives +4 to it's skill level, on top of obviously being the best two-handed weapon in the game hands down. Also paladins naturally have VERY high Defenses (my lvl 13 solo character with inadequate gear has 157 Reflex). Last but not least, Bleak Walker nicely complements the Assassin RP wise.

Does +power level really gives anything to FoD?

It gives more base damage (appears as if you had harder hitting base weapon in combat log), which is really unintuitive but that's how it works. This thread has more info: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/99409-mechanics-power-level-compilation-thread/

• Like 1

It gives more base damage (appears as if you had harder hitting base weapon in combat log), which is really unintuitive but that's how it works. This thread has more info: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/99409-mechanics-power-level-compilation-thread/

Ah so that quarter staff roughly adds 20% damage to FoD I assume, definitely wanna test it out thanks

Ah so that quarter staff roughly adds 20% damage to FoD I assume, definitely wanna test it out thanks

That damage increase is multiplicative with all other damage increases (since it applies to base damage) but additive with other power level increases, so it's pretty much impossible to say how much it really adds in terms of percentage as that changes. If the staff was obtainable at level 1 without any other power level increases, the increase would be much more than it is for level 20 character that already has multiple other sources of power level (and possibly using Empower too). Finally, I must say I haven't personally tested how much the damage increase is, just that it is there and how it functions. Due to variable range on weapon hit damage, it'd take pretty big sample size to get any meaningful estimation of a number I fear.

Well, yeah, basically. Of course the more you stack a single multiplier, the less powerful it becomes, but in this case the only other multipliers are general increase damage modifiers (like backstab, legendary weapon enchant, Might bonus, Two-Handed Style, Crit damage bonuses, Sneak Attack etc.) that already get to so high a number that it's ridiculous and % damage dealt as extra element, which we already get from every possible source. So while stacking it makes it less effective, it's still likely the most effective one.

Well, yeah, basically. Of course the more you stack a single multiplier, the less powerful it becomes, but in this case the only other multipliers are general increase damage modifiers (like backstab, legendary weapon enchant, Might bonus, Two-Handed Style, Crit damage bonuses, Sneak Attack etc.) that already get to so high a number that it's ridiculous and % damage dealt as extra element, which we already get from every possible source. So while stacking it makes it less effective, it's still likely the most effective one.

The funny thing is no matter how much multipliers you stack, it won't do even close damage to empowered inner death :p But I doubt many enemies will have such high health pool anyway.

So I did some test and find that 1 PL will add 1 damage to your basic damage. So for that quarterstaff, you get 4 extra basic damage, if multiplied by damage bonus and lash, roughly 24 extra damage from 4 PL per FoD + Sneak attack, which is pretty good imo. 1 PL = 6 extra damage. Not to mention it adds extra damage bonus based on your skill.

So I'm not sure if Voidwheel or this quarterstaff, which is better, but i think the quarterstaff wins in pure damage.

Edited by dunehunter