I'm curious, since in PoE1 dual weapons were king of DPS, do the various passives and stances make two handers more useful?

I'm thinking of things like Paladin's Retribution passive (gain damage % on next swing after getting hit), Cleaving Stance (bigger damage on the secondary attack after a kill), etc. 

Big nasties in heavy armor don't feel the same if they've got to run with a couple of dinky weapons rather than a big old bastard.

Cleaving Stance did a Full Attack to all enemy bystanders on kill - at least in the beta (did this change?) - so it's better with heavy one handers.

Retribution is better with two handers.

If you like two handers the most then you could pick Berserker/Streetfighter and combine Frenzy+Bloodlust+Heating Up+Blood Thirst for awesome attack speed with a two hander. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I didn't check if cleaving stance was a full attack, I'm just going by what is in the description says(nothing specifically about it that I can see, I haven't picked it up yet).  I'm sure you're right about that.  There are a few other abilities that I'm curious about, but I'll have to bring them up in another post.  Thanks for the build tip, that sounds wicked.  

share Mine~

Nature Godlike+Devoted + Priest for Belas

Devoted:            GreatSword specialization + Cleaving stance

Priest:                Summon GreatSword & many Buff

Nature Godlike's Passive  can  increase your Buffer's Power level

Edited by Wyvern_lee

Cleaving Stance did a Full Attack to all enemy bystanders on kill - at least in the beta (did this change?) - so it's better with heavy one handers.

Retribution is better with two handers.

If you like two handers the most then you could pick Berserker/Streetfighter and combine Frenzy+Bloodlust+Heating Up+Blood Thirst for awesome attack speed with a two hander. 

Same in the released game. Full attack.

Cool. Was thinking about Berserker/Devoted with exploiting Blood Thirst + Cleaving Stance and can't decide on a weapon...

Do we know if cleave aoe range is impacted by weapon reach? If so staff/Pike may be the best option for the significant reach improvement.

Cool. Was thinking about Berserker/Devoted with exploiting Blood Thirst + Cleaving Stance and can't decide on a weapon...

Do we know if cleave aoe range is impacted by weapon reach? If so staff/Pike may be the best option for the significant reach improvement.

Nah it's not affected by your weapon reach.

I don't know. I haven't played around with Cleave so much. Dunehunter must know, he's loving it. ;)

Doing a Crusader playthrough!

• Like 1

So is it universal two one handers are better? Or does that depend on what two handers are in the game and what about if you consider Firebrand/Berath's Greatsword, do those lashes bring them up to snuff?

Edited by SummerAnne58

Arg, Sawyer had said he was trying to avoid "everything is swords" this time around so I was hoping for more weapon options. I should probably check quarterstaffs, arquebi, and blunderbussi when I get home.

Explains why I've been having such a hard time finding a good warhammer or mace, too.

I wish I could import Llawran's Stick from the first game. On paper it's the best weapon in the game but I've never actually done a playthrough with it.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Whats the best greatsword so far? Im running a baldurs gate iquisitor style...Fanatic. Mageslayer/kind wayfarer. So far... Its awesome... Just wondering if i missed any good swords. I already beat and am running through again on pod. I tank almost as well as eder and dish out a ton of freaking damage. Two handed+ savage strikes+ retribution+bloodied+ one stands alone= awesomeness

Whats the best greatsword so far? Im running a baldurs gate iquisitor style...Fanatic. Mageslayer/kind wayfarer. So far... Its awesome... Just wondering if i missed any good swords. I already beat and am running through again on pod. I tank almost as well as eder and dish out a ton of freaking damage. Two handed+ savage strikes+ retribution+bloodied+ one stands alone= awesomeness

Whisper of endless path, best greatsword from begin to end.

the second hit of the whisper of endless path isnt considered melee.

so any bonus that applies solely to melee wont work on the second hit and anything hit by the cone. it will only apply on the first hit. also when u trigger cleave u will land one hit instead of double damage.

still a nice weapon tho.

So is it universal two one handers are better? Or does that depend on what two handers are in the game and what about if you consider Firebrand/Berath's Greatsword, do those lashes bring them up to snuff?

Seems to be the case. They work but you sacrifice a lot for it. Not only do you do less damage, you also have worse defense. No matter how much I love 2 handed weapons, they really stink compared to 2 weapons in this game. That said, the game is so easy even on potd that it probably does not matter if you are not optimal so just play what you want. Sadly however, if you want big booms, you need to a single class monk to see thousands of damage per hit lol.

Seems to be the case. They work but you sacrifice a lot for it. Not only do you do less damage, you also have worse defense. No matter how much I love 2 handed weapons, they really stink compared to 2 weapons in this game. That said, the game is so easy even on potd that it probably does not matter if you are not optimal so just play what you want. Sadly however, if you want big booms, you need to a single class monk to see thousands of damage per hit lol.

I'm not all about ooooo look at the big numbers. I just don't want to be building "wrong" within the tunnel visioned character I have, it is just a single player game after all.