Playing an assassin/soul blade with sabre and single weapon style for critical hits. So far soul annihilation has been extremely underwhelming - even from invisibility with backstab and 40-50 points of focus it doesn't seem to do much more damage than a regular attack (I know it's raw damage and so bypasses deflection, but I haven't really been having a problem with penetration to begin with). It takes a lot of micromanaging to keep the build alive to set up the supposedly "massive" damage of SA, but it never feels like the payoff is worth it.

Am I doing something wrong? Because right now it just feels like I'm playing an underleveled rogue and I really don't want to have to go back through 8 hours of the game with another build. 

That build is *extremely* squishy. I really wanted my mindstalker to work too. But after beta testing and first run through the game, I can confirm: It's just not fun. 

I switched to a Holy Slayer (Paladin/Rogue) and am MUCH happier with damage and durability. 

Problem with mindstalker (besides the fact that rogues got sneak attack nerfed) is that they don't have any real defense options, other than using Escape and switching to ranged. At higher levels it can be a fun class potentially, start a fight in stealth and cast whisper of treason/puppetmaster/etc but I just didn't have any fun with it.

Also, I played the same subclasses as OP. 

• Like 1

That build is *extremely* squishy. I really wanted my mindstalker to work too. But after beta testing and first run through the game, I can confirm: It's just not fun. 

I switched to a Holy Slayer (Paladin/Rogue) and am MUCH happier with damage and durability. 

Problem with mindstalker (besides the fact that rogues got sneak attack nerfed) is that they don't have any real defense options, other than using Escape and switching to ranged. At higher levels it can be a fun class potentially, start a fight in stealth and cast whisper of treason/puppetmaster/etc but I just didn't have any fun with it.

Also, I played the same subclasses as OP. 

I concur. Minkstalker just ended up being wayyyy too squishy. I too went Holy Slayer (Goldpact / Assassin) and it's been great so far. High numbers assassin with some defense and Goldpact brings some nice temp armor to the table and FoD. I've been using firearms and dual Battle Axes. So far so good, however I am still trying to figure out how to best get more backstabs off since I've only got Smoke Veil thus far.

Because backstab damage is nerfed, also soul annihilatiom extra damage is roughly equal to your focus, if u have 40, then u do around 40 more damage.

It actually overrides the damage from your melee weapon entirely, so it winds up being like 40 damage in total rather than "more" (although I don't get 40 damage for 40 focus, it's more like 32). If it were additive damage it would actually be solid build, but as it stands it's almost identical to my standard sabre attack. 

Soul Annihilation needs to be buffed, otherwise I can't see a reason to take this subclass for multi or even single builds. Maybe it gets better once you start regularly and easily getting your focus into the 100-120 range, but that's an awful long time to wait for a class to become fun.

Just consoled myself into a shadowdancer. Lost all my achievements but luckily I'm not one who cares about those :)

Because backstab damage is nerfed, also soul annihilatiom extra damage is roughly equal to your focus, if u have 40, then u do around 40 more damage.

It actually overrides the damage from your melee weapon entirely, so it winds up being like 40 damage in total rather than "more" (although I don't get 40 damage for 40 focus, it's more like 32). If it were additive damage it would actually be solid build, but as it stands it's almost identical to my standard sabre attack.

Soul Annihilation needs to be buffed, otherwise I can't see a reason to take this subclass for multi or even single builds. Maybe it gets better once you start regularly and easily getting your focus into the 100-120 range, but that's an awful long time to wait for a class to become fun.

Just consoled myself into a shadowdancer. Lost all my achievements but luckily I'm not one who cares about those :)

Wait.., when I’m playing my Monk/Soulblade and punch someone with Soul Annihilation and mouse over the Damage calculation it always lists my Bashing Damage followed by my Raw Damage so this can’t be right? (Though, yes initially it just lists the bashing Damage “with additional Effects”)

Wait.., when I’m playing my Monk/Soulblade and punch someone with Soul Annihilation and mouse over the Damage calculation it always lists my Bashing Damage followed by my Raw Damage so this can’t be right? (Though, yes initially it just lists the bashing Damage “with additional Effects”)

Ah, my mistake then. How has SA been working for you as a monk? Are you seeing major damage increases compared to your other offensive abilities?

Great! Lightest armor so he punches like a typewriter, and the focus ticks up real fast. When its at max (after one or two punches), you unleash it for around 40-50 Raw damage + Bludgeoning damage. Most things gib by then, but then again I'm only lvl 4.

prototype00

I find "Whispers of Treason" to work surprisingly well for Assasin/Ascendant, but I have little experience so far.

A charmed foe counts as "mind afflicted" for sneak attacks AFAIK and doesn't retaliate when hit. They just stand there and wait to be slaughtered.

Ideally, your first dual-sabre hit from stealth one-shots the first foe and generates enough focus to ascend, then you spam WoT to quickly turn the tide of battle.

This build is very vulnerably if one of your attacks or spells misses, however. And if you don't start the fight on your terms, things get very tough as well (Just trying if smokescreen helps...)

NOTE: You need to manually force your party to attack charmed foes!

Edited by Tomice