Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Are the new companions in Deadfire "shallow"?

NPC companions shallow

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Whitewolfsp

Whitewolfsp

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 62 posts

I liked GM fine, but couldn't stand Durance. Role-playing-wise, I had trouble coming up with a good reason why my Watcher would put up with him...

I liked him being around around because he's about the closest thing you get to actually having evil companions in an RPG anymore.  That's just not done.

He's unapologetically morally reprehensible.  He is not a character a big triple A game company would ever make anymore for fear of the backlash. 

I miss companions like HK-47 , Edwin , Viconia , etc ...

• rthemis likes this

Hazmy

Hazmy

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 90 posts

I like the companions, but I hate the fact that everyone is a princess. None of them AGAIN like if the main character does Evil things.

Also, I haven't finished the game but I completed quests for Xoti, Serafen, Aloth, Maia.....are the companion quests....this short? Or there will be some continuation.

Like Aloth's quests was...a disappointment.

Yenkaz

Yenkaz

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'm in the early to mid game having just arrived at the capital and already my answer is 'no'. Already, Xoti is creating incredible drama with Pallegina after I picked her up and I was able to calm the waters and later got Xoti to apologise for being an ass. Meanwhile, my main bro Edér relates to me why he's rejecting Xoti despite good relations: She's too young and naively overzealous and he's too matured to relate and she reminds him too much of his younger self.

This game has as deep connections as I've seen in other games and it's far more open to exploring real, actual conflict between the characters.

Edited by Yenkaz, 13 May 2018 - 12:23 AM.

• Tamyn likes this

Tamyn

Tamyn

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 66 posts

I'm in the early to mid game having just arrived at the capital and already my answer is 'no'. Already, Xoti is creating incredible drama with Pallegina after I picked her up and I was able to calm the waters and later got Xoti to apologise for being an ass. Meanwhile, my main bro Edér relates to me why he's rejecting Xoti despite good relations: She's too young and naively overzealous and he's too matured to relate and she reminds him too much of his younger self.

This game has as deep connections as I've seen in other games and it's far more open to exploring real, actual conflict between the characters.

I got Eder to ask me about how he can diplomatically tell Xoti to never talk to him again. I told him to be honest and if she can't deal with it, tough. It was amusing when he told her not to talk to him anymore... until he started another banter with her ten minutes later like none of that had happened.

• Ryz009 likes this

BloodMage1229

BloodMage1229

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts

Maybe it's because I just finished another Dragon Age playthrough, but I find the banter lackluster.  I mean, I also have Xoti and Pallegina, and while there have been some pointed words and side-eyeing in a few very brief banters, I would hardly call it incredible drama.  Honestly, I feel like mostly everything has been improved in Deadfire, except companions.  They still feel bland to me.  I wish they were integrated into the main plot more (even if the game forced you to take certain companions for certain quests) and less exposition-based.  The resources for ship combat should have been devoted to this, in my opinion...

stratigo

stratigo

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 57 posts

There's no... outright offputting companions like Durance in PoE2. There's also no overwhelmingly tragic characters like grieving mother (there's tragic things, but no one is defined by their tragedies).

DarthWhite

DarthWhite

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 20 posts

So far I've only dragged around Xoti and Tekehu from new companions. Those two can be annoying sometimes (Xoti much more of that for me) but by no means shallow. Teku is just great. He's so alive, open, emotional...  somehow very easy-to-understand and exotic at the same time. Plus it feels like he changes hella lot while travelling with you. He has plenty of interactions, dialogues about Huana quests and main story. And they are never meaningless. So... if someone calls him shallow I just won't understand :)

Xoti didn't impress me that much but maybe that's because I didn't complete her quest yet. Anyway she also feels quite alive even if I don't always like her personality or plot.

And I didn't even start with Maia and Serafen. So... I'd give POE2 companions a really high rate. I certainly like them more than what Bioware does with characters in latest games, for example.

Edited by DarthWhite, 13 May 2018 - 05:02 AM.

• Fluffle, Anouschnei, Dokuhime and 1 other like this

Yria

Yria

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Xoti is starting to slowly grow on me, with the whole nightmares thing, and even though I wanted to punch her during her fight with Pallegina I still found her reactions somewhat amusing (also, hat's off to Laura Bailey, glad to see that my worries about her acting were baseless. She really sold me on Xoti's childish anger in that scene). 

• Yenkaz likes this

Fluffle

Fluffle

Fluffy Marshmallow of the Obsidian Order

• Members.
  • 933 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Teku is just great. He's so alive, open, emotional...  somehow very easy-to-understand and exotic at the same time. Plus it feels like he changes hella lot while travelling with you. He has plenty of interactions, dialogues about Huana quests and main story. And they are never meaningless. So... if someone calls him shallow I just won't understand :)

Thank you! That's what I was hoping for! Of course eventually I will only see if I agree or disagree with that when I play the game myself. But at the moment I don't have time.
I really hope I will see Tekehu the same way!

• DarthWhite likes this

stratigo

stratigo

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 57 posts

Xoti is starting to slowly grow on me, with the whole nightmares thing, and even though I wanted to punch her during her fight with Pallegina I still found her reactions somewhat amusing (also, hat's off to Laura Bailey, glad to see that my worries about her acting were baseless. She really sold me on Xoti's childish anger in that scene). 

I am slightly disgruntled that they decided to give her a texan accent myself.

Yenkaz

Yenkaz

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Right? She's annoying and arrogant about her religious beliefs, but the other characters, including the Watcher pick up on it and can tell her to cool down and shut up if she goes too far.

She's not somehow beloved by all despite her personality like, say, Sera from DA:I.

Edited by Yenkaz, 13 May 2018 - 06:13 AM.

BloodMage1229

BloodMage1229

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts

Right? She's annoying and arrogant about her religious beliefs, but the other characters, including the Watcher pick up on it and can tell her to cool down and shut up if she goes too far.

She's not somehow beloved by all despite her personality like, say, Sera from DA:I.

Wait, whaaaat?  Sera is arguably one of the least liked companions in DA:I (her only real competition is Vivienne)...  She has her pocket of (very vocal) supporters, but universally loved would be Varric, and Sera does not have the same level of fandom as Varric (I'm actually in the minority in that I like Sera and Vivienne and don't like Varric...).

Also, I just want to clarify that I don't think the companions are shallow, per say, but I do think they are incredibly underutilized.  On the flip side, I find this game's NPCs much better than the previous game's.  I don't know if it's the voice acting or what, but they feel much more alive.

morhilane

morhilane

Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1131 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm not sure what you mean by "not somehow beloved by all". You mean in-game? Because out of game, Sera is DA:I most hated companion.

arober

arober

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 53 posts

I'm not sure what you mean by "not somehow beloved by all". You mean in-game? Because out of game, Sera is DA:I most hated companion.

(I love Sera.)

But even in-game, quite a few of your companions cannot stand her.

misterjimmy

misterjimmy

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 143 posts

Eder always my favourites companion.

About new companion, I like Maia and Serafen , But i very disappointed their companion mission, too short and not interesting. 

Tarlonniel

Tarlonniel

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 467 posts

I've played through the game with all the new companions now and I don't think they're any more or less shallow than the OG crew. I find them interesting and diverse, which is all I really ask for.

Ryz009

Ryz009

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 344 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I got Eder to ask me about how he can diplomatically tell Xoti to never talk to him again. I told him to be honest and if she can't deal with it, tough. It was amusing when he told her not to talk to him anymore... until he started another banter with her ten minutes later like none of that had happened.

Yeah its hard to judge character relationships because of the bugs. It's maddening.

Penguin_of_Doom

Penguin_of_Doom

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts

No, the OLD companions in Deadfire are shallow.

Edér still works, but but Aloth could have been in a sidequest related to the leaden key, and Pallegina just does nothing but whine about the republics all day.

BrokenMask

BrokenMask

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm surprised that most people here seem to be annoyed at Xoti, she seemed to be just sweet religious farmer to me ._. Like, she is really piteous(spelling?), young and naive, but I don't think she was being pushy with religion? At least not more pushy with religion than Pallegina is being annoyed literally everytime someone mentions worshipping a god xP Like seriously, Tekehu is very piteous so if he and Pallegina is in party, prepare to see that relationship score mark go down everytime Tekehu mentions Ngati.

Anyway, yeah, I found none of new characters annoying, I did find Pallegina bit annoying when she is in same party with Xoti and Tekehu though. Still, yeah, anyway, everyone already talked about Tekehu(vain, emotional, sweet and has surprisingly deep things to him when you get to know him better), so onto final two: Serafen is easy to sum up as Hiravias but better(I found Hiravias to be most annoying party member in original game. I didn't dislike any of them, but I disliked him almost as much as Durance personality wise. That said I also disliked Grevious Mother because her gimmick of not being able to have party know her exist was tiresome to me), he isn't as perverted or vulgar and he comes across more as cool uncle sort of character than creep without sense of boundary like Hiravius did.

Maia on other hand is soldier and kind of cold blooded actually. She has sense of humor, likes improvisation and clever thinking, she looks down upon Huana, but she is really loyal to her country even when she thinks they are doing things wrong. Like, she is rather friendly for most part so its kind of chilling how she genuinely thinks Rauatai is good for people of Deadfire even when she is being conflicted by orders she is given.

Edited by BrokenMask, 13 May 2018 - 11:26 AM.

Sylph_14

Sylph_14

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm surprised that most people here seem to be annoyed at Xoti, she seemed to be just sweet religious farmer to me ._. Like, she is really piteous(spelling?), young and naive, but I don't think she was being pushy with religion? At least not more pushy with religion than Pallegina is being annoyed literally everytime someone mentions worshipping a god xP Like seriously, Tekehu is very piteous so if he and Pallegina is in party, prepare to see that relationship score mark go down everytime Tekehu mentions Ngati.

Keeping Tekēhu and Pallegina together in the party actually results in a really heartwarming moment later. Not sure if it's disposition related, but she was at -2 towards him, while he was +2 towards her.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NPC, companions, shallow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users