Are the new companions in Deadfire "shallow"?

So far I've only dragged around Xoti and Tekehu from new companions. Those two can be annoying sometimes (Xoti much more of that for me) but by no means shallow. Teku is just great. He's so alive, open, emotional...  somehow very easy-to-understand and exotic at the same time. Plus it feels like he changes hella lot while travelling with you. He has plenty of interactions, dialogues about Huana quests and main story. And they are never meaningless. So... if someone calls him shallow I just won't understand :)

Xoti didn't impress me that much but maybe that's because I didn't complete her quest yet. Anyway she also feels quite alive even if I don't always like her personality or plot.

And I didn't even start with Maia and Serafen. So... I'd give POE2 companions a really high rate. I certainly like them more than what Bioware does with characters in latest games, for example.

Edited by DarthWhite
  • Like 4

Xoti is starting to slowly grow on me, with the whole nightmares thing, and even though I wanted to punch her during her fight with Pallegina I still found her reactions somewhat amusing (also, hat's off to Laura Bailey, glad to see that my worries about her acting were baseless. She really sold me on Xoti's childish anger in that scene). 

• Like 1

Teku is just great. He's so alive, open, emotional...  somehow very easy-to-understand and exotic at the same time. Plus it feels like he changes hella lot while travelling with you. He has plenty of interactions, dialogues about Huana quests and main story. And they are never meaningless. So... if someone calls him shallow I just won't understand :)

Thank you! That's what I was hoping for! Of course eventually I will only see if I agree or disagree with that when I play the game myself. But at the moment I don't have time.

I really hope I will see Tekehu the same way!

• Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Xoti is starting to slowly grow on me, with the whole nightmares thing, and even though I wanted to punch her during her fight with Pallegina I still found her reactions somewhat amusing (also, hat's off to Laura Bailey, glad to see that my worries about her acting were baseless. She really sold me on Xoti's childish anger in that scene). 

I am slightly disgruntled that they decided to give her a texan accent myself.

Right? She's annoying and arrogant about her religious beliefs, but the other characters, including the Watcher pick up on it and can tell her to cool down and shut up if she goes too far.

She's not somehow beloved by all despite her personality like, say, Sera from DA:I.

Edited by Yenkaz

Right? She's annoying and arrogant about her religious beliefs, but the other characters, including the Watcher pick up on it and can tell her to cool down and shut up if she goes too far.

She's not somehow beloved by all despite her personality like, say, Sera from DA:I.

Wait, whaaaat?  Sera is arguably one of the least liked companions in DA:I (her only real competition is Vivienne)...  She has her pocket of (very vocal) supporters, but universally loved would be Varric, and Sera does not have the same level of fandom as Varric (I'm actually in the minority in that I like Sera and Vivienne and don't like Varric...).

Also, I just want to clarify that I don't think the companions are shallow, per say, but I do think they are incredibly underutilized.  On the flip side, I find this game's NPCs much better than the previous game's.  I don't know if it's the voice acting or what, but they feel much more alive.

I'm not sure what you mean by "not somehow beloved by all". You mean in-game? Because out of game, Sera is DA:I most hated companion.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I'm not sure what you mean by "not somehow beloved by all". You mean in-game? Because out of game, Sera is DA:I most hated companion.

(I love Sera.)

But even in-game, quite a few of your companions cannot stand her.

I'm in the early to mid game having just arrived at the capital and already my answer is 'no'. Already, Xoti is creating incredible drama with Pallegina after I picked her up and I was able to calm the waters and later got Xoti to apologise for being an ass. Meanwhile, my main bro Edér relates to me why he's rejecting Xoti despite good relations: She's too young and naively overzealous and he's too matured to relate and she reminds him too much of his younger self.

This game has as deep connections as I've seen in other games and it's far more open to exploring real, actual conflict between the characters.

I got Eder to ask me about how he can diplomatically tell Xoti to never talk to him again. I told him to be honest and if she can't deal with it, tough. It was amusing when he told her not to talk to him anymore... until he started another banter with her ten minutes later like none of that had happened.

Yeah its hard to judge character relationships because of the bugs. It's maddening.

I'm surprised that most people here seem to be annoyed at Xoti, she seemed to be just sweet religious farmer to me ._. Like, she is really piteous(spelling?), young and naive, but I don't think she was being pushy with religion? At least not more pushy with religion than Pallegina is being annoyed literally everytime someone mentions worshipping a god xP Like seriously, Tekehu is very piteous so if he and Pallegina is in party, prepare to see that relationship score mark go down everytime Tekehu mentions Ngati.

Anyway, yeah, I found none of new characters annoying, I did find Pallegina bit annoying when she is in same party with Xoti and Tekehu though. Still, yeah, anyway, everyone already talked about Tekehu(vain, emotional, sweet and has surprisingly deep things to him when you get to know him better), so onto final two: Serafen is easy to sum up as Hiravias but better(I found Hiravias to be most annoying party member in original game. I didn't dislike any of them, but I disliked him almost as much as Durance personality wise. That said I also disliked Grevious Mother because her gimmick of not being able to have party know her exist was tiresome to me), he isn't as perverted or vulgar and he comes across more as cool uncle sort of character than creep without sense of boundary like Hiravius did.

Maia on other hand is soldier and kind of cold blooded actually. She has sense of humor, likes improvisation and clever thinking, she looks down upon Huana, but she is really loyal to her country even when she thinks they are doing things wrong. Like, she is rather friendly for most part so its kind of chilling how she genuinely thinks Rauatai is good for people of Deadfire even when she is being conflicted by orders she is given.

Edited by BrokenMask

I'm surprised that most people here seem to be annoyed at Xoti, she seemed to be just sweet religious farmer to me ._. Like, she is really piteous(spelling?), young and naive, but I don't think she was being pushy with religion? At least not more pushy with religion than Pallegina is being annoyed literally everytime someone mentions worshipping a god xP Like seriously, Tekehu is very piteous so if he and Pallegina is in party, prepare to see that relationship score mark go down everytime Tekehu mentions Ngati.

Keeping Tekēhu and Pallegina together in the party actually results in a really heartwarming moment later. Not sure if it's disposition related, but she was at -2 towards him, while he was +2 towards her.

Yeah, most of companions at conflict results seem to be heartwarming, though I think it might require one of companions having positive modifier to another?(I had that Pallegina and Tekehu moment as well as Tekehu and Maia moment) Like Xoti and Pallegina did have second argument, but they were just as angry first time and both of them had negative modifiers towards each other.

I like the new characters. Overall, I'm very impressed with how much they interject in conversations, and the relationship system is a great little thing that I hope to God will be improved and see more use in upcoming games. Furthermore, I'm glad that companions aren't without "teeth" so to speak, I made a choice and was forced to kill Maia for example. I love stuff like that, that they just don't do along with whatever stuff you do. More of that please!

From what I've seen, I think Xoti is my least favorite. Not because of her character in itself (I find the young, naive but fanatically pious priestess angle interesting) but because her arc unfolded in a weird way in my game. It just... got going really fast and just moved along really fast as well. Kinda like the Devil in PoE1 (well, not as abruptly as that). Just felt her character could've used more time to "breathe" throughout the entire game.

Tekehu is probably my favorite of the new ones. Pampered and initially annoying, he feels like he's going on a journey in the game. Also naive but willing to take it all in. He's cool.

I'm loving the old guard. Edér is always great. I think his main arc was still in PoE, but he's a great presence in this game as well and it's great to see where the events of the Deadfire take him. As for Aloth and Pallegina, I love that they're the "grumpy" ones. I mean, they're not very pleasant, quite bitter and are a great counterpoint to the new and naive companions (well, Tekehu and Xoti).

I do think the game is in need of a companion that is more of a foil, like Durance for example. I mean, Chaotic Evil is often one-sided but... just more morally twisted characters is nice to have along and shakes the party up a bit. Even Serafen, who is a salty old pirate, is a pirate more in the cutesy way. 

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Thing about Xoti's quest: I think its bugged and its conclusion isn't supposed to trigger before meeting Eothas at Ashen Maw for two reasons:

1) if Xoti is in the party, she tries to give souls in her lantern to Eothas who tells her to instead figure out what to do with them on her own 2) Quest log for Xoti's mission mentions spoiler about Eothas goal of breaking the wheel which you don't learn before meeting him at Ashen Maw

• Like 2

As for Aloth and Pallegina, I love that they're the "grumpy" ones.

Aloth isn't as grumpy as POE1, for me, in Deadfire. In fact, he's pretty bro so far, a very serious bro, but still a bro.

Pallegina seems to have added a few chips on her shoulders since the last time we meet though.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

The gripe I have with Xoti is that she somehow steals the show in every conversation when she is present in the party. Somehow interjections default to her all the time, and other companions end up in the shadow. I would rather hear others speak instead of her. But that also may be because I can't identify with priests for the life of me.

Tekehu does the same when you take him around Neketaka and the Gulet, but to me that is alright because he seems to be learning and growing as a character. Xoti just feels narrow-minded and goes on about her mission over and over and over and over again.

Edited by Aridea
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

I do wonder how much personalities of companions can change based on Pillars 1. I doubt it would be radically much except for certain things, but still interesting to wonder about.

Anyway, I'm actually sad after completing the game first time that Ydwin stretch goal wasn't reached(I also got sad to lesser extend about sea monsters stretch goal not being reached since in retrospect, its sad there isn't a single ship vs monster combat in the game unless you count one of those scripted events) since it really feels like she could have given different perspective to realtionship scores with her own biases. Like, nobody in the game really triggers Pallegina's positive bias about animancy besides having Xoti give her souls to animancers <_< Having animancer from white that wends would have been really interesting addition to the soup.

(BTW, bit weirded out how Rekke is only sidekick that has lot of ship dialog. Considering he has unique background culture and subrace(Yuzuha, missionary, stormfolk), can translate that stone table you can buy in first town and has comments on every companion and sidekick, it really feels like as if he is foreshadowing for future games or something ._.)

Hmm, I did think Xoti's comments did make sense since it is very new experience to her as well(she doesn't seem like she traveled much before the whole dawnstar pilgrim thing) and since game IS about following him and Eder's god. And in general, I got feeling that Eder has most dialog and reactions in the game since some companions don't have anything to say on certain areas while Eder has something to say in most areas it seems.

Edited by BrokenMask

Tekehu is probably my favorite of the new ones. Also naive but willing to take it all in.

Uhm... *giggle* That is... That is good to know... :wub:

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

I like the new characters. Overall, I'm very impressed with how much they interject in conversations, and the relationship system is a great little thing that I hope to God will be improved and see more use in upcoming games. Furthermore, I'm glad that companions aren't without "teeth" so to speak, I made a choice and was forced to kill Maia for example. I love stuff like that, that they just don't do along with whatever stuff you do. More of that please!

From what I've seen, I think Xoti is my least favorite. Not because of her character in itself (I find the young, naive but fanatically pious priestess angle interesting) but because her arc unfolded in a weird way in my game. It just... got going really fast and just moved along really fast as well. Kinda like the Devil in PoE1 (well, not as abruptly as that). Just felt her character could've used more time to "breathe" throughout the entire game.

Tekehu is probably my favorite of the new ones. Pampered and initially annoying, he feels like he's going on a journey in the game. Also naive but willing to take it all in. He's cool.

I'm loving the old guard. Edér is always great. I think his main arc was still in PoE, but he's a great presence in this game as well and it's great to see where the events of the Deadfire take him. As for Aloth and Pallegina, I love that they're the "grumpy" ones. I mean, they're not very pleasant, quite bitter and are a great counterpoint to the new and naive companions (well, Tekehu and Xoti).

I do think the game is in need of a companion that is more of a foil, like Durance for example. I mean, Chaotic Evil is often one-sided but... just more morally twisted characters is nice to have along and shakes the party up a bit. Even Serafen, who is a salty old pirate, is a pirate more in the cutesy way. 

I'm going to have a hard time using Tekehu, because I never really use druids.  I just can't get comfortable with any druid character.  And while I don't have any problem with Chanters, they always feel like a luxury to any party rather than a critical, must-have class.  And with only 5 character parties (4 if you discount the PC), it just doesn't feel like there's room for a "luxury character" which is a shame because I would otherwise be quite willing to give him a shot.  I might just have to wait for a second run-through to try him out.  But right now, I'm more comfortable using characters of classes that feel more reliable to my play style.

I'm going to have a hard time using Tekehu, because I never really use druids.  I just can't get comfortable with any druid character.  And while I don't have any problem with Chanters, they always feel like a luxury to any party rather than a critical, must-have class.  And with only 5 character parties (4 if you discount the PC), it just doesn't feel like there's room for a "luxury character" which is a shame because I would otherwise be quite willing to give him a shot.  I might just have to wait for a second run-through to try him out.  But right now, I'm more comfortable using characters of classes that feel more reliable to my play style.

I'm only playing on Vet but I used him as a pure druid in a party with Pallegina, Aloth, Eder and my wizard PC. He's usually decent as an emergency healer. Once he gets his summons though things get a little silly easy.

I'm only playing on Vet but I used him as a pure druid in a party with Pallegina, Aloth, Eder and my wizard PC. He's usually decent as an emergency healer. Once he gets his summons though things get a little silly easy.

Ryz, I never played pure Druids even back in the BG or IWD games.  Oh, I'd play Jahiera who was a Fighter/Druid, but to me, she was more fighter than druid, almost a pseudo-ranger.  I've just never gotten into the entire (pure) druid concept.  It just doesn't click with me.  Plus I tend to trend more towards a more physical, less magical play style.  Different strokes, and all that.