So how does "engagement" work in poe 2 ?

I just can't figure it out and the cyclopedia is of no help.

I played PoE 1 a lot, so i understand the concept of it, but my problem is i can't engage any enemy except with Eder (who is my tank, with several +X enemy engaged). When i attack an enemy with Pallegina (great sword) or Serafen (dual weild axe), there is never any "engagement arrows" and there is no disengagement attacks if the enemy just runs past them. It doesn't seem to be caused by any beneficial effect the target might have, since it happens on every enemy i tried.

On the other hand, Pallegina and Serafen are able to inflict the "flanked" debuff.

Does that mean you can't engage anyone unless you have at least a "+1 enemy engaged" buff through whatever mean ? But you somehow still count for the "flanked" debuff ?

Could be something to do with this:

"Some afflictions make it impossible for a character to Engage an enemy. All Strength Afflictions prevent the target from Engaging anyone, as well as Paralyze, Petrified, or Prone effects. Each of these effects will automatically drop Engagement and can be used to get out of trouble."

In POE1, all the class had at least +1 engagement built-in. That was removed in POE2. You need to use a shield, spear/pike modal, class passive/stance, gear with bonuses or subclasses that grants it.

• Like 3

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

In POE1, all the class had at least +1 engagement built-in. That was removed in POE2. You need to use a shield, spear/pike modal, class passive/stance, gear with bonuses or subclasses that grants it.

Yeah i figured that in time, but why would they not give the paladin ANY +x engagement talent ? You're forced to multiclass just to fill what should be a natural role (off tank dps).

I actually had to start my campaign over after making Pallegina a single class paladin because i had no way to use a greatsword or estoc and have at least one engagement.

Yeah i figured that in time, but why would they not give the paladin ANY +x engagement talent ? You're forced to multiclass just to fill what should be a natural role (off tank dps).

I actually had to start my campaign over after making Pallegina a single class paladin because i had no way to use a greatsword or estoc and have at least one engagement.

It's very intentional. Engagement is mainly the fighter thing. You can gain engagement on other classes by using items - weapon with engagement or special items which grant one.