Suggestion: Eder dying in opening battle

tid242

Question

Suggestion, have Eder "knocked out" during opening pirate battle, rather than "dying".  Not sure if this is tied to difficulty or not, but I just started a game where he dies on the ship then isn't available to be in your party on the beach.

It might be a minor thing because people who know the importance of the Eder companion, and want him as a companion can just save-scum and reload an autosave on the ship, but for players new to the franchise, it'd be pretty easy to accidentally 'never get' Eder from the get-go.

I recall an 'Axe of the Bloodgod' interview with Josh Sawyer where the gal doing the interview (can't remember her name, sorry) didn't know who Eder was because in her game she never talked to him when he was standing by the tree in Pillars 1, Josh sort of went on a side-explanation about trying to make companions more obvious because it really subtracts from the game and messes with the difficulty when the first tanky/fighter isn't available (not to mention it being the companion people tended to have liked the most in surveys).  I feel like this is exactly such a situation where players can 'miss' getting an important and meaningful companion...

Yea, players should be able to kill or blow off their companions if they want to, but I feel like this might be an inadvertent choice when he dies before the game even starts, in the chaos of a battle that the player doesn't even control him because he's not in the party yet (just some dude on the ship the player talks to when he/she wakes up).

thoughts?

Edited by tid242
  • Like 2

9 answers to this question

Hey tid242,

Thanks for this find! If im understanding correctly, Eder died was available in the Ships Cabin, and once you fought the pirates off in the ship, he died in that interaction? He should end up with a wound, or you may have selected an PoE1 setting where he is not alive. If thats not the case, please confirm for me to help us investigate :) I will get this in to be looked at currently.

Best,

-Caleb

I like big bugs and I cannot lie...

Hey tid242,

Thanks for this find! If im understanding correctly, Eder died was available in the Ships Cabin, and once you fought the pirates off in the ship, he died in that interaction? He should end up with a wound, or you may have selected an PoE1 setting where he is not alive. If thats not the case, please confirm for me to help us investigate :) I will get this in to be looked at currently.

Best,

-Caleb

Hey Caleb,

Correct - Eder was in the ships cabin (by the watcher's dead body), Then in the pirate interaction he got killed by pirates and was not on the beach after the ship-wreck.  I save-scummed back to the ship cabin and re-fought the battle without him dying, then he was available to be recruited.

This wasn't from a P1 end-game import, it was just from selecting the 2nd choice in the pre-game offered by Berath (balanced, or fair or whatever it was).  So Eder was definitely alive to be recruited ..

cheers, let me know if you need anything else - I don't think I have an auto-save, thought it was a overlooked outcome, rather than a bug.  

-tid242

Hey tid242,

I've confirmed with the devs that if Eder is allowed to die in the fight on Benweth's encounter, he will be dead for the beach.

Best,

-Caleb

Ah cool,

It is pretty annoying to have happen.  Thanks for all the after-hours work.  NJ on nailing this one down.

-tid242

Is it possible to at least make Eder controllable for the pirate fight?

This happened to me as well, and I also noticed that if Eder dies as an NPC, Second Chance does not proc for him. Which just doesn't feel right considering the Saint's War Armor he should have equipped. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if Eder joins the party just before the pirate fight.

• Like 3

I was wondering where Eder was. He got (I assumed) Knocked-out during that first combat and I figured he'd reappear later in the game. RIP I guess.

If Eder is allowed to die on the ship combat, he will be dead before the beach scene as this is by design.

Is it possible to at least make Eder controllable for the pirate fight?

This happened to me as well, and I also noticed that if Eder dies as an NPC, Second Chance does not proc for him. Which just doesn't feel right considering the Saint's War Armor he should have equipped. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if Eder joins the party just before the pirate fight.

I will be sure to add that to the bug suggestion, thank you!