I'm really undecided. I don't *need* something stupidly overpowered... but I also don't want to pick something with unfortunate consequences... like I dunno... picking a Paladin and then you get another Paladin 2 hours into the game... or just picking something that ultimately isn't very balanced/good. Or picking a character that doesn't go well with the NPCs you get.

Any suggestions? I don't want to be bored - don't mind doing stuff - if that helps. Being slightly-above average in terms of power might be a good idea though, to offset random difficulty.

Thanks!

Edited by katie

You start out with Eder, who you can class as a Fighter or Rogue. You'll quickly get a priestess that you can class as a Priest or Monk. This is pretty genius because you're not stuck running into a companion who is the same class as you, since you get to set their class when they join the team. You can even multi-class them to be both -- i.e. Eder as a Fighter/Rogue -- a Swashbuckler, I think.

I've only played up to the first town, so don't know, but it looks like PoE 2 is pretty brilliant in this respect. Now whether the class (or classes) you choose for yourself turn out to play well for the entire game is another matter.

(Sorry Enoch, I'm a new poster, so my post was in moderation when you posted and ended up sort of sniped yours once it was approved. Thanks for the info that some companions are locked into a primary class and can only choose multi-classing with that class.)

Edited by Druitt
  • Like 1

One thing to know is that you can choose the class of the joinable NPCs you meet, from 3 character-appropriate options.  A few of them are locked into 1 class, but can alternately be one of 2 different multiclass pairings that include that one base class (e.g., the Paladin can be a Paladin, a Paladin-Chanter, or a Paladin-Fighter).  

• Like 1

That is pretty helpful. I'm thinking I may want to stay away from multi-classes... it's going to take me a long time to learn the better combinations... might just rather go with single classes for a first playthrough.

I dunno if I am comfortable with Eder being a Rogue though... seems weird to me as he was a tank in my POE1 save.

Hrmm... I guess I could be a cipher or wizard then. Would I be okay with either of those? If I did that, would I pretty much have to make Eder a Rogue? How long until another Rogue comes along? Maybe I should just be a Rogue.

Edited by katie

I had to restart my playthrough, quite a few hours in as I had this IMMENSE pressure to start a Pirate character, it fits all of these SO WELL. So Fighter/Rogue multi-class focusing on dual pistols/ blunderbuss for me.

Loving it!

Aloth can be made into a multiclass Wiz/Rogue and joins soon after Xoti, and there is a sidekick that can be turned into a rogue.

However, nothing forces you to have a rogue in your party in Deadfire. Get a rogue only if you like it for playstyle or RP purposes. If you don't, have any other char cover mechanics (cipher gets a bonus), stealth (ranger and barb get a bonus) and rogue-ish conversation skills.

My advice is: Pick your Watcher's class based on what you like. The game has every option covered.

You can always keep Eder as a Fighter, the priestess as a Priest, then choose anything else you want. Just remember that the whole per-rest/per-encounter mechanism has changed with everything basically shifting to per-encounter with a boost mechanism that lets you do more in one encounter, then requires a rest to reset.

I just got the Priestess, and don't remember the details but I'm not sure that she's a fully-healing-oriented Priest. If not -- and you'd need to clarify that -- even having a bit of healing wouldn't be redundant for the Watcher.

Multi- and sub-classing definitely complicate things. I avoided sub-classing since it's hard to evaluate the tradeoffs involved, but I multi-classed and am going to multi-class all of my companions, to try the whole thing out.

what about dialogue options? Do might / intellect / resolve get the most checks so far or is it all over the place? Cause this would lend itself to a Paladin tank kinda.

Does it even check on the main character or can you choose who the check gets?

Edited by Nemesis7884

As far as I have seen, a lot of checks go for either skills or backgrounds. There are less attribute checks and a lot less resolve checks especially.

In scripted events you usually can pick character who will make a check. In dialogues you always do it, however you (and everybody else in the party) get party assist bonus on skills from other party members.

You can always keep Eder as a Fighter, the priestess as a Priest, then choose anything else you want. Just remember that the whole per-rest/per-encounter mechanism has changed with everything basically shifting to per-encounter with a boost mechanism that lets you do more in one encounter, then requires a rest to reset.

I just got the Priestess, and don't remember the details but I'm not sure that she's a fully-healing-oriented Priest.

She isn't. Or rather, doesn't need to be, Currently, my Chokey has a higher defense than Eder, but I suspect she'll fall behind pretty quickly.

Which OK, since I'm not sure I want to keep her. She simultaneously knows too much and too little, and I suspect she won't like that I intend to keep denying her souls. But she's pledged to the monster we're chasing and I'm not going to take that risk, particularly when she's telling me things like 'that's all I'll say about that.' That being soul harvesting.

Dont take ranger/sharpshooter because the one you find several hours into the game is probably better anyways.

From what I see the companions offer crappy barbarian, crappy rogue, and a crappy cipher. But this is just my first impression.

The strong classes I see companions being are Paladin, Chanter, fighter,  and ranger

Anything you like.

Companions you get very fast: Eder (rogue/fighter) Xoti(Priest/Monk) Aloth (Wizzard/Fighter)

The rest you will get under 5 hours (depending on sidequesting).

Companions could be single class or multiclass. See wiki for all combinations.

You can make eder multiclass rogue/fighter with weapon and shield.

Rogue is not essencial, any class can just specialize in mechanic/stealth/pickpocketing.

Single class is ok.

Ciphers are fun. Wizzards are also ok  (you will get Aloth early but could have own).

Cipher/Wizzard MC does not look good, but maybe there is hiden synergy. No focus from wizz spells.

Anything you like.

Companions you get very fast: Eder (rogue/fighter) Xoti(Priest/Monk) Aloth (Wizzard/Fighter)

The rest you will get under 5 hours (depending on sidequesting).

Companions could be single class or multiclass. See wiki for all combinations.

You can make eder multiclass rogue/fighter with weapon and shield.

Rogue is not essencial, any class can just specialize in mechanic/stealth/pickpocketing.

Single class is ok.

Ciphers are fun. Wizzards are also ok  (you will get Aloth early but could have own).

Cipher/Wizzard MC does not look good, but maybe there is hiden synergy. No focus from wizz spells.

For my psychic wizard, I'm only using wizard for self buffs then diving into melee as a Soul Blade. Or at least that's the plan once they fix Eder and Vela (waiting for a patch before playing for real).