Hi.. The game sounded great so I backed it. But I don't have any experience with this type of game so I was hoping some more experienced players could kindly suggest a  starting class/build that would help me to learn the game mechanics without being repeatedly crushed by it.  Single class/multiclass (?) and tips on what skills/attributes to emphasize are greatly appreciated,

Thanks

You have no experience with any kind of RPG at all? (If you do have some experience, you may prefer one play style over another.)

In terms of straightforward to play and not getting crushed, I would recommend a single-class Fighter, no subclass. They're tough and flexible. In general, for your first play through you will want to avoid multi classing and sub classing. Once you've used and understand the base capabilities, you can better decide how to mix-n-match them (multi class) or trade them off (sub class).

In the classical RPG genre, there was a "holy trinity": a tank, a healer, and DPS (damage-dealer). The tank is tough and tries to get opponents to focus on them. The healer keeps the tank -- and everyone else -- alive with buffs and heals, and the DPS adds damage into the mix because the tank often trades off damage-dealing for toughness and survival.

You start the game with Eder as a companion, and you can class him to be a Fighter (which he was in PoE 1) -- i.e. a tank -- or a Rogue (DPS), and in the first town you can get a priestess to join your party and she can be classed as a Priest (healer) or Monk (DPS). So you could chose to be a Fighter, class Eder as a Rogue, and keep the priestess as a Priest. (Now that I think about it, she may be less capable of healing, due to her religious orientation, than some Priests.) Or you could choose to be DPS-oriented ("Striker" in PoE 2 parlance) or support, and have Eder be a Fighter and the priestess be a Priest.

You might also read about the energy source each class uses. Some classes start with an energy level and spend it down, others start with minimal energy and build it up, and others don't use energy but have limited skill counts.

One key thing you'll want to think about is AoE (Area of Effect) skills/spells can hit your allies unless they mention enemies specifically. Other games you may have played may or may not have this "friendly fire", so be aware when considering. I tend to always play a Mage/Wizard first in RPGs, but I shied away from a pure Wizard in PoE and Poe@ because many of their best spells can put a serious hurt on friends as well as foes. (You can cast the spells to avoid friendly fire, but you might not be able to fully use the power of AoE, and it's also possible that your in-motion team-mates may step into your fire.) Just something to think about.

Edited by Druitt

Hi.. The game sounded great so I backed it. But I don't have any experience with this type of game so I was hoping some more experienced players could kindly suggest a  starting class/build that would help me to learn the game mechanics without being repeatedly crushed by it.  Single class/multiclass (?) and tips on what skills/attributes to emphasize are greatly appreciated,

Thanks

My advice would be:

If it is your first cRPG experience, select your character for roleplay reasons and not for build reasons. Pick Relaxed difficulty level, and play whatever class appeals the most to you.

If you are unsure, think about your favourite heroic-fantasy character ever, and pick a class that reflects him/her, and adjust race and gender according to your liking.

If you don't know how to translate the idea of the character into actual gameplay, describe what you want in this thread and I am certain that the community can suggest a precise efficient build that fits your description.

(ie:

- I want a Spear and small shield with light armor, hoplomacus style

- I want to be Gimli

- I want a mage that burns everything

- I want a pirate with guns)

• Like 1

If you are completely new, I would just suggest play on normal difficulty or lower, and just enjoy the game and roleplay as much as you can. You won't be crushed at all, and it will be enjoyable.

BUUUUT If you insist, I personally have a good class to recommend :

Race : Moon Godlike

Multi-class : Figher ( Unbroken ) - Rogue ( Streetfighter ) 

Play as a sword + shield tank, and you will probably have a really strong character.

Edited by Hazmy

Nature Godlike shattered pillar (monk) is a straightforward and strong combination to play.  Early abilities to look for would be lightning strikes, raised torment, rooting pain, tenacious blows, and two weapon style.  Favor might in your stats.

Nature Godlike shapershifter would be pretty straightforward too, prebuff with a regen spell then go shred stuff.

Other races would work too, but nature godlike is especially favored by monk who can almost permanently proc the racial with no recovery.

Perhaps the above suggestion to tell us what kind of character you're looking for might help more though.

One thing to note is that you get a potential tank right away: Eder joins right after the first fight, and you should make him a pure sword-and-board fighter.  Since it's almost impossible to take one of those down on the lower difficulty levels, as a practical matter you can pick anything you want for the MC and rely on Eder to take you through all the fights.

That said, the Moon godlike racial is very powerful and is not duplicative with any companion.  Pick a melee class and you'll provide great synergy with Eder's tanking.

Also, you can respec at inns fairly cheaply, so you need not worry too much about what abilities you pick for your melee class.