Yes you should. 1) It's a good game. 2) You'd understand way less of what's happening in PoE2 without playing 1.

If you're a completionist, PoE1+DLC will easily take you 60 hours. No idea about 2 yet, but I guess at the very least 40+ hours for the base game.

SHould I play and complete POE I and the DLC before starting POE 2?  

How long is POE 1 and DLC?  How long is POE2?

Brian

It depends on what type of gamer you are. Have you played Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale 1 and 2, games like that? If so, and if you enjoy games like that, I highly recommend playing through POE1 and the WM DLCs. Note that this will take at least 40 hours of your time. If you are in a rush, and just want to play Deadfire, there is a nice feature that allows you to customize what your decisions in POE1 would have been. Note that after playing Deadfire, it will be more difficult to go back to POE1 given all of the improvements.

SHould I play and complete POE I and the DLC before starting POE 2?  

How long is POE 1 and DLC?  How long is POE2?

Brian

if like me you're wantintg to play on PotD difficulty and also want to understand and interact with the world, characters and lore - then definitely play poe1 first.

Apparently they had to choose to between balancing potd difficulty and bugfixing - they went with bugfixing of course. potd balancing will be post release and this is apparently a direct sequel, picking up where the first title leaves off, including some of the same companions and everything, so while waiting for proper balancing, post release bugfixing, eventual class and multi class proper balancing etc, may as well play poe1 first and reap all the above benefits.

Yes. PoE1 is a great game. If you like one, you'll like the other. Which means you should play both. And *given* that you will/should play both, makes sense to play PoE1 first.

That said, if you're unable to play both due to severe time constraints, you can probably play 2 without 1. Keep in mind that 1 is a lot more stable due to years of bug fixes, though.

Edited by Balbanes

You should, but be aware that Pillars 1 is an very long game with all the DLCs.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with playing Deadfire without having played Pillars 1.  But, if you own Pillars 1, you should probably play it first.  Going back to Pillars 1 after playing Deadfire will be frustrating, I suspect, because of the improved gameplay.

From my experience PoE1 takes about 80 hours to complete - I am a fairly thorough player, doing every quest and at least skimming through all the books I can find. I am sure you can rush through it in much less, that that kinda defeating the point of the excercise.

I would say go for PoE1 first. It will certainly give more context to Deadfire (to be honest from the little I played of it, I think it would be far less impactful without already established connection). While Deadfire so far seems to be a better, more expensive title, PoE1 is packed and finish. Giving Deadfire time to mature will only enhance your first experience with it. Perhaps, by the time you are ready at least some of the DLC will be out as well.

• Like 1

I agree with the above. 

If you care about the setting and the story (which you probably do if you're into RPing games) starting with Deadfire will most certainly be confusing and even if you catch up on all the things that took place chances are you won't be involved at all with these events or with the returning characters. 

Besides if you end up really liking Deadfire and then decide to experience the whole story the entire plot of the first game will have been spoiled for you and you will have a much harder time getting into the first game after playing the sequel considering all the improvements (graphics alone make a huge difference). 

In any case there is nothing wrong with taking the time to enjoy the first game (don't put too much pressure on yourself because it is a long game and 70 hours is probably the minimum for a full run including White March) knowing that you will be able to enjoy Deadfire to the fullest after that. 

• Like 1

I personally would skip PoE1 . Deadfire made many QoL improvements and its much more fun to play. PoE1 was not a fun game, its incredibly frustrating and difficult. Tyranny was way better, and I definitely see its influence on Deadfire. 

If you like crpgs, yes.

If you are more compelled by the story prospects of Deadfire, then just play 1 on story mode.

I think it's worth to play it first no matter what. Especially for lore and character development.

I did pretty much only the critical path of POE1 and didn’t do TWM aside from recruiting the companions.

I put together a game history in POE2 and read on the wiki to now I didn’t complete, but do you think that’s enough? Or are the references to the history significant enough that I should I try to do a completionist play-through and import it?