I'm pretty loaded and can just about afford the most expensive kind of ship. Called junk, for some reason. It doesn't seem better than the galleon. Tell me what I'm missing.

And tell me what I can do with multiple ships. It's an expensive business, managing ships. I have so many questions.

In fact, feel free to post anything related to ships here, any piece of advice you might have, even if it's not one I just asked for.

I can't be wordier. I have a main plot to avoid by devouring every side quest in my way. Wind be at your backs!

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Sharing some insights of my own. I bought the most expensive ship, outfitted it and everything. Went for a fight, noticed it was slow. Perhaps fast for its size, but I always play to board.

I noticed while browsing the cannons that their weight was mentioned. Not as a direct value or anything, but still. So I reloaded to before I bought the junk and instead went to my starter ship and stashed all the cannons and bought some speed upgrades for it. I'm not sure stashing the cannons helped, but I'm now closing on enemy ships at a rate of 85m per round. I took on a galleon and it never got a chance to fire at me, and now I'm fighting some smaller vessel with the same outcome. I think with luck they might get one volley off but that's it.

Edit: Cannons don't affect your speed. ^^

I also think as long as you can win the deck combat this is the best tactic (nice hubris man, game is barely a day old), because enemy ships will either turn to broadside you, which they don't seem to have time for, or I guess they might try to flee from you, but you're fasssst.

To answer my question about what one can do with multiple ships: You can only have one active ship, so it's just for versatility. Right now for my boarding business I see no reason to use a slow ship with lots of firepower, though perhaps if you're really good at the naval combat minigame you could do a lot of crew damage before boarding. But if I am to bombard a coastal city or something, it'll need to be a ship that can deliver and take more beating than the starter ship.

Edited by omgFIREBALLS

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!