Why are they, first of all, so poorly explained, and second of all, so terrible?

I have been charging at an opposing ship for like 20 minutes getting no closer then 491m, while to all indications we are heading at each other with no discernible distance change. 

I had been having a great starting with poe2 but now I feel like I have just wasted a half hour of my limited playing time with this nonsense. 

• Like 3

So, my first ship battle went about the same way in the beta. I was very confused, didn't understand the compass, etc. Give it one or two battles and it will feel a lot more natural. Also, it won't take as long!

• Like 1

So, my first ship battle went about the same way in the beta. I was very confused, didn't understand the compass, etc. Give it one or two battles and it will feel a lot more natural. Also, it won't take as long!

And I died. In the first ship battle. Not to borrow a nautical pun, but way to pull the ****ing wind out of my sail for the game on the first night of play. 

My other deaths were fine because they were results of choices and such I made, but man, I am getting a bit of backer's regret here. I am feeling about as salty as my dead crew right now. 

• Like 2

Yeah, ship battles are a bit annoying. I'm just trying to get to the melee combat of it. If I say from the get-go to board, I take crippling ship/crew damage, but if I ass my way through ten rounds of mindlessly full-speed-aheading into their broadside, I take far less.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

And I died. In the first ship battle. Not to borrow a nautical pun, but way to pull the ****ing wind out of my sail for the game on the first night of play. 

My other deaths were fine because they were results of choices and such I made, but man, I am getting a bit of backer's regret here. I am feeling about as salty as my dead crew right now. 

I would argue that you died in the ship battle due to the reason you explained above: "they were results of the choices and such I made."

Ship combat is not easy in the first few go arounds. Also, it's possible you sailed too far initially and got involved with a superior enemy/pirate. Just like a random encounter in the field. You go too far too fast and the game lets you know.

I hope you don't have backers regret from a single battle. It's a new system we all have to get used to. The game is great so far. Just give it time.

• Like 2

I have to say I didn't really click with the ship battles in the beta, nor the first time I got into one in the full game. But I decided to dig into that aspect of the game a bit, invested a little coin into upgrading my ships weapons, hull, sails, and etc. (most upgrades to these early game components are fairly inexpensive - like 200-600 coins per) and after doing a few sea faring events, my crew had some experience under their belts as well. So then I sailed around looking for a specific sea-battle bounty, and along the way attacked some slavers. It went very well, with them actually trying to flee as I started taking them out, and it ended up being super fun.

Then I finally tracked down the bounty, and this ship was VERY unique and the entire battle played out very, very differently. Eventually, knowing it was beat, this ship turned and boarded ME and it led to another fun battle.

Also, I've actually gotten to know my crew by name, when they gain ranks I look them up and as text-adventures reference them, which has been a treat. Sort of like someone put Battle Brothers in my PoE2.

• Like 3

I have to say I didn't really click with the ship battles in the beta, nor the first time I got into one in the full game. But I decided to dig into that aspect of the game a bit, invested a little coin into upgrading my ships weapons, hull, sails, and etc. (most upgrades to these early game components are fairly inexpensive - like 200-600 coins per) and after doing a few sea faring events, my crew had some experience under their belts as well. So then I sailed around looking for a specific sea-battle bounty, and along the way attacked some slavers. It went very well, with them actually trying to flee as I started taking them out, and it ended up being super fun.

Then I finally tracked down the bounty, and this ship was VERY unique and the entire battle played out very, very differently. Eventually, knowing it was beat, this ship turned and boarded ME and it led to another fun battle.

Also, I've actually gotten to know my crew by name, when they gain ranks I look them up and as text-adventures reference them, which has been a treat. Sort of like someone put Battle Brothers in my PoE2.

That is cool stuff right there. I haven't had the chance to complete a ship battle in the final release. Looking forward to all of this.

Any word on if the Scavenger Code items help out initially?

That is cool stuff right there. I haven't had the chance to complete a ship battle in the final release. Looking forward to all of this.

I don't actually recall most of them having any bonuses on them, but I could be mistaken. They seemed mostly cosmetic, though the food (captain's gourmet meal or whatever) is a crazy +10 morale and awesome boons if used for camping, and you get 10 of those. The cat was pretty good, but not quite as good as pets I'd found in the game. The cosmic pig has the same bonus, for instance, as another pet I'm already using (reduced armor recovery for the Watcher), but it's party wide bonus (+5% ranged damage with rifles, I think?) isn't nearly as good as the Party Wide Effect on the amazing dog I found (+15 health, modified by individual Might, gained when a party member drops an enemy).

• Like 1

I don't actually recall most of them having any bonuses on them, but I could be mistaken. They seemed mostly cosmetic, though the food (captain's gourmet meal or whatever) is a crazy +10 morale and awesome boons if used for camping, and you get 10 of those. The cat was pretty good, but not quite as good as pets I'd found in the game. The cosmic pig has the same bonus, for instance, as another pet I'm already using (reduced armor recovery for the Watcher), but it's party wide bonus (+5% ranged damage with rifles, I think?) isn't nearly as good as the Party Wide Effect on the amazing dog I found (+15 health, modified by individual Might, gained when a party member drops an enemy).

you get a cannon and a sail that helps increase the stats and performance of your ship

Ahh, yes. The cannon. I figured that would help. Does it replace a current cannon on the ship, or is it an additional one?

O

you get a cannon and a sail that helps increase the stats and performance of your ship

Ahh, yes. The cannon. I figured that would help. Does it replace a current cannon on the ship, or is it an additional one?

I am probably mis-remembering, but I thought the sails didn't do anything. I ended up buying some for a few hundred coins. The lantern might have had a bonus, too, but the only one I remember cost 7k in the store, so if it's as good as that it was a terrific use of a single code. :)

The cannon I did forget, it's actually a pretty good cannon, slightly better than the starting cannons. I put it on my ship right away, as you only start with 2 of the 4 cannon slots in use, iirc.

Is attacking the other ships (different factions, not pirates) on sea considered ok? Do somebody know if there is reputation cost or down the road some nasty surprise from that faction?  

Is attacking the other ships (different factions, not pirates) on sea considered ok? Do somebody know if there is reputation cost or down the road some nasty surprise from that faction?  

I've attacked pirates, slavers, Vailians, Rauataians and Magran's giants. Nothing has earned me any death threats or nasty surprises. After all, dead men tell no tales. ;)

Check the triumphs:

b62BxaH.jpg

Edited by omgFIREBALLS
  • Like 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Oh snap, you DIED? That's terrible, how are you coping?

Let's send a message to Josh, he must apologise for this travesty immediately

Yaa, a tuff guy . 

Anyways, I have cooled down a bit about the problem and spent some time looking at some videos, but let me explain why I think this is a bad design, or at least a bad introduction to the design. 

First, I die all the time, and that is fine. The whole Steel Paladin person ate my lunch without a problem (although I did appreciate the enthusiasm Aloth showed by trying to punch him to death). What I didn't die doing: Fighting the pirates in the first battle or fighting the mobs in the first area. Why? Because it seems the game's intro design, even though it is a sequel, is effective in introducing the player slowly to the mechanics. The rest of my deaths had to do with me doing things I knew probably wouldn't work but I wanted to play around with the mechanics and these choices led to the untimely demise of my poor character. 

Enter ship combat: You get an extremely vague 3 page tutorial pop up, and then you are thrown into combat. Combat which is not short, combat most likely with a superior foe (in terms of ship size and condition, despite the fact I had crewed up and topped up all supplies). The worst part is that a death wastes like 45 minutes of pressing buttons, and the combat is so divorced from the normal flow of character/player interaction it is jarring and I dare say not unusual to feel a certain amount of frustration. 

I know we are all super cool dudes (and dudettes) here who don't need to be told how to play video games and understand every opaque mechanic immediately, but at least there should have a been short (OPTIONAL as in skippable) ship battle to get you ready. 

• Like 1

I've been doing fine with ship battles, though I recently died to a ship that had not only double my hull, but also double my cannons. I feel like I had the superior tactics overall since I took that ship down to only 15 hull, but in the end it wasn't enough and my ship sank first.

It's definitely not for everyone though, that's why there's an option to just charge in and get into normal battle

My biggest peeve so far with the ship battle system is that if the enemy ship escapes they instantly get their hulls healed to maximum. This should not be, it feels cheap since mine do not. I hope they change that, and if they are going to heal at least let it be a little bit and not fully.

Oh snap, you DIED? That's terrible, how are you coping?

Let's send a message to Josh, he must apologise for this travesty immediately

Yaa, a tuff guy . 

Anyways, I have cooled down a bit about the problem and spent some time looking at some videos, but let me explain why I think this is a bad design, or at least a bad introduction to the design. 

First, I die all the time, and that is fine. The whole Steel Paladin person ate my lunch without a problem (although I did appreciate the enthusiasm Aloth showed by trying to punch him to death). What I didn't die doing: Fighting the pirates in the first battle or fighting the mobs in the first area. Why? Because it seems the game's intro design, even though it is a sequel, is effective in introducing the player slowly to the mechanics. The rest of my deaths had to do with me doing things I knew probably wouldn't work but I wanted to play around with the mechanics and these choices led to the untimely demise of my poor character. 

Enter ship combat: You get an extremely vague 3 page tutorial pop up, and then you are thrown into combat. Combat which is not short, combat most likely with a superior foe (in terms of ship size and condition, despite the fact I had crewed up and topped up all supplies). The worst part is that a death wastes like 45 minutes of pressing buttons, and the combat is so divorced from the normal flow of character/player interaction it is jarring and I dare say not unusual to feel a certain amount of frustration. 

I know we are all super cool dudes (and dudettes) here who don't need to be told how to play video games and understand every opaque mechanic immediately, but at least there should have a been short (OPTIONAL as in skippable) ship battle to get you ready. 

Did you have a chance to play the backer beta? That was my tutorial to ship battles and I agree, the three page tutorial in game is not much to go on.

I've yet to fight an actual ship in game. Last night I finally got to open water (little over 6 hrs in) and I saw a ton of ships going by, but none were hostile. I traveled north from the starter island, came across a few ship wrecks to scavenge, etc; but no hostile ships.

Is everyone having bad luck right off the bat, or are people exploring farther than they should be this early on? As a side note, before I left the starter island, I recruited as many sailors as I could and loaded up on supplies. Maybe that will help in the early battles?

I've attacked pirates, slavers, Vailians, Rauataians and Magran's giants. Nothing has earned me any death threats or nasty surprises. After all, dead men tell no tales. ;)

Check the triumphs:

b62BxaH.jpg

You, sir, are a maniac. Surely there will be repercussions to your violent ways....

If you don't want to bother with the combat, you can also just select the charge option at the start to immediately board the enemy ship. You take some damage though, but that hasn't been a big deal for me so far.

To answer a previous question, I was attacked right away, and so it was a luck option. I only played the BB's before ships were introduced. 

I have won a ship battle. It was so not worth it. In terms of time invested and pay off. In the end, I decided that eating the raking shots and charging ahead is the least annoying way to deal with the issue.  I see myself doing all the bounties once for the achievements/blessings, and then avoiding them like the hollowborn plague. 

You know, I am going to date myself, but I was really hoping something like the old SSI Buck Rogers game. The spaceship battles were so engrossing I think I played that game until the 5 1/4's melted.