Save Import vs. Creating New History

Are there any extra choices carried over from importing a PoE1 save, compared to creating a new history in Deadfire?

I would like to use my PoE1 save, but due to Eder's ending currently being bugged, I would prefer making a new history provided I don't lose out on any hidden decisions that aren't in the new history editor. 

I was wondering about this. Since it had been so long since I fully completed PoE, I couldn't really remember all of my choices, but it sure felt like there was not a lot that ported over. 

Even some of that opening dialogue was asking me questions, even after I chose my save file. Why ask me the questions when i just used my end game save file? It was really weird.

As others have stated, be prepared for randomly going "wait, what? That's not how things went down" regardless of what you do.

I had to abandon the game in the first area. Vela was gone, Edér seemed bugged, had heard rumors of Aloth having weird ideas...

If they didn't care to focus QA on the consequences of your actions in the first game, then why make it a sequel with the same protagonist and lots of returning NPCs? It doesn't make sense.

Edited by Yenkaz
  • Like 6

What? Okay, thanks folks, that explains the weirdness. I have only tried staring the game, once, and after importing my save game from Poe 1 I was asked some questions that I thought the save game should definitely have answered quite thoroughly. So I basically got the sense that something is not right here, this still looks like an unfinished beta or something.

Ahem. I really liked PoE 1 and thought it was worth the money. This is not a good start for PoE 2: you immediately see that things aren't working. Like, that's literally the first thing you see.

• Like 1

Just wanted to chime in on all the complaints in this thread and others.

We all know games like this are infamous for being buggy. We all know Obsidian has a record of releasing buggy games at launch. We also all know this game and the previous one would have never been made if they were under the hand of some big AAA publisher.

I get the complaints. People spent their hard-earned money for this game and to back it and give feedback via the beta, but I think we should all just be a little more patient and appreciate what kind of games we are getting from Obsidian. They are a super small studio with limited resources. If you've watched the Road to Eternity video there is literally is a person who does the coding and some marketing, and some project management, etc.

The game is really fun, even with these issues. If it's bugged with PoE1 import file that stinks, but I'm still having a fun time. I know I will be playing through it a few times, so I'm just pushing ahead and enjoying what I've played so far.

Edited by Jayngo

It is unreasonable and unjustified to expect patience if a product that has been paid for has been delivered and is clearly not working.

Especially if they knew about the problems before release

Is it clear that they did? (I only arrived here basically for the launch.)

Going by Josh's answer May 6th to people asking about the baby orlan (Vela) not showing up in the Streamers stream, the answer is "no" they didn't until 2 days before release happened because it was tested and it worked on their end.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Going by Josh's answer May 6th to people asking about the baby orlan (Vela) not showing up in the Streamers stream, the answer is "no" they didn't until 2 days before release happened because it was tested and it worked on their end.

I was under impression "2 days before release" is in fact "before release". So "yes". Also i wonder how they missed MAC users problem 

• Like 1

I remeber several AAA games that had a save import feature that was bugged on launch, not usually to this extent but still. You can't expect people not to be annoyed though now they have to either choose to live with the bugs and not get the specific world state they imported/created or wait for patches and start again from the beginning.

I was under impression "2 days before release" is in fact "before release". So "yes". Also i wonder how they missed MAC users problem 

The game preload started on Friday (May 4th), while the "release" to players was May 8th, the release build was made and uploaded to Steam before they knew about the import issues. The only "known issues" related to import on release day was Edèr as Mayor not being Mayor and Vela not showing up.

Edited by morhilane

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Well, fine. Confirms it - I'll finish my replay of War for the Overworld first before starting on PoEII. I've been waiting patiently this long, I can wait another week.

(I mean, hell, compared to how I keep waiting for Stellaris...!)

Just wanted to chime in on all the complaints in this thread and others.

We all know games like this are infamous for being buggy. We all know Obsidian has a record of releasing buggy games at launch. We also all know this game and the previous one would have never been made if they were under the hand of some big AAA publisher.

I get the complaints. People spent their hard-earned money for this game and to back it and give feedback via the beta, but I think we should all just be a little more patient and appreciate what kind of games we are getting from Obsidian. They are a super small studio with limited resources. If you've watched the Road to Eternity video there is literally is a person who does the coding and some marketing, and some project management, etc.

The game is really fun, even with these issues. If it's bugged with PoE1 import file that stinks, but I'm still having a fun time. I know I will be playing through it a few times, so I'm just pushing ahead and enjoying what I've played so far.

That video is from when they were on the verge of bankruptcy which is no longer true. It feels like they didn't even play their own game for 15 minutes as the save game import/create history problems seem to be universal. How did they not notice them when you only have to play that long to hit two of them?

That video is from when they were on the verge of bankruptcy which is no longer true. It feels like they didn't even play their own game for 15 minutes as the save game import/create history problems seem to be universal. How did they not notice them when you only have to play that long to hit two of them?

It worked on their end when they tested it. That does raise the question of what’s wrong with their testing if it acts differently to the final project?

Apparently Pallegina also broken as far as i can tell in transferred save...

Edit - 100% broken. She ended up as Kind Wayfarer in PoE1 and in PoE 2 she told me she didnt finish her mission and gto exiled. So "didn't do her quest" ending.  Good thng i checked even if i spoiled a big part of the game for myself doing it. Sigh.

Edited by Dopsim