[Respec] Losing Abilities and Buffs from Respec/Retrain

Ganrich

Question

Tried respeccing my Troubadour/Trickster and I retained my Invocation from Character Creation, but I lost my phrase.  Although, I am far enough along that I can afford to replace it, I will still be a talent point behind.  No matter.   I was debating restarting for a reason or two.  So, this just ensured that.  Either way.  Minor bug, methinks.  However, I thought you should know. 

Enjoying the game.  Thanks!

Hi.

When you retrain the Watcher at the inn it wipes the watchers watcher skills.

They no longer appear on the tab to use and they no longer appear on the character>summary page.

Thanks

Edited by Gary1986
  • Like 1

Hello, when I try to respec my character (paladin/monk) he loses the initial ability in monk class that is picked at character creating (Swift Strikes) and I must spend extra point on that.

I tried to attach save but didn't find where game saves it. No "Saved Games" folder in user documents.

This should be added into the known major issues topic both here and on steam. I only just noticed this since i haven't fought anyone for quite a while in the game and respecced like 10 hours ago. 

Also respecced companions bunch of times for testing a bunch of stuff so i expect my playthrough to be thoroughly fubar. Guess i have to start over. 

This is well documented. You also lose ability points if you picked an ability at lv1 and upgraded it later.

Retraining right now is completely ****ed.

What's really interesting about this is that you seem to get upgraded innate abilities back for free at level 2.

So, for example, my Paladin (Goldpact)/Cipher (Soulblade) took Flames of Devotion at level 1, getting Gilded Enmity and Faith and Conviction for free, and Antipathetic Field, getting Soul Whip for free. At some point later I took Sworn Rival (upgrade to Gilded Enmity), Eternal Devotion (upgrade to Flames of Devotion), Deep Faith (upgrade to Faith and Conviction), and Biting Whip (upgrade to Soul Whip).

When I retrain her, if I stop the level-up immediately, I have a level 1 Inquisitor that is missing Gilded Enmity, Faith and Conviction, and Soul Whip - all innate class abilities - and Flames of Devotion, presumably because I upgraded all of them. When I level her up to 2, I get to choose an ability, but I also learn Gilded Enmity, Faith and Conviction, and Soul Whip. In particular, I cannot pick Deep Faith at this level up, because the game is treating Faith and Conviction as a new skill that I just chose.

Ultimately, I only lose one ability - Flames of Devotion - which I picked on character creation and upgraded in a level-up - but there's something way wonkier going on with how innate class abilities are being added back to retraining characters. (I.e. I should be able to pick Deep Faith at level 2, if I so desire.) Soul Whip is "lost" because it's upgraded, but because it's not "picked," the game somehow intuits at level 2 that I was supposed to have Soul Whip all along and adds it back.

Is it possibly a +1/-1 error, wherein a dev got confused about whether respec goes back to 0 or 1, so we get back our level 1 abilities at level 2 for some reason, and then the level 1 "pick" is lost?

Edit: I note that this does not happen with companion respecs, presumably because their level 1s are static.

Edit 2: Also doesn't happen with hired adventurers. Just the PC.

Edited by hippofant
  • Like 1

Respeccing your character will cause you to lose any training you have received from npcs in addition to losing the abilities tied to the story (cannot remember their names, lost them already, but the ability that distracts enemies with spirits as well as the 1 that terrifies enemies).

To reproduce:

1) Train with an npc.

2) go to in.

3) Respec character.

It seems character respecs makes you lose any skill boosts you have received from trainers, and there doesn't appear to be any options to get them back through training again.

Is this how it's intended to work or is this a bug?

It seems character respecs makes you lose any skill boosts you have received from trainers, and there doesn't appear to be any options to get them back through training again.

Is this how it's intended to work or is this a bug?

For my first few levels I had Visage of Death's Herald available on my combat bar, and I got another Watcher power. Then they both disappeared without explanation. I'm now level 12, and they're still gone. I'm also noticing that, while some item-granted powers are showing up on my Watcher, some aren't. Pretty frustrating, TBH.

When you respect your character, you lose any bonuses that you paid characters the 3k for as well as any skills you might have picked up on the way like the skill that gets more powerful the more souls you pick up.

Question to the Devs: Am I going to have to start a new game or can this be retroactively fixed?

Salutations Chazn2, 

We are currently investigating this issue. Unsure if you'll need to restart for when the issue is fixed, but going to a previous save should get rid of the respec.

Apologies for the inconvenience, and thank you for your support.

- Chelsea

I have the same issue.

Easiest way to reproduce:

Go to a skill trainer (locations) and get training, then go to a tavern and retrain the Watcher. Boni like Beraths Blessing remain, but skill training is permanently removed.

Edit: Has a bigger thread already, and obsidian acknowledged the bug -> here

Edited by pstone

Hey, I tried to retrain my MC a Fanatic, and in the process I lost all the skills I learnt from various npcs and furthemore I lost Frenzy from Barbarian, I should have it as a lvl 1 ability but I have to spend a lvl 2 ability point to get it again.

Just discovered my Watcher has Effigy's Resentment: Devil of Caroc, +1 DEX, +1 PEN

However, when you respec your Watcher at a merchant and reset to level 1, it also removes this ability permanently

Details: The +1 PEN is conditional and not in effect in my testing, so I assumed it is melee only and doesn't stack/is getting cancelled out by Hammering Thoughts... but when I respec my character it removes the Effigy's Resentment bonuses altogether. Save/reload and re-tried, same thing.

Edited by fortuntek

This is a known bug. Respec removes all in-game gained things like this and Training. It also shorts you on points you should have had from the level 1 creation process.

As of right now, don't respec or use tavern creation. They are both bugged.

Unfortunately the newly released hotfix hasn't solved the issue.

Retraining my chanter MC still results in the loss of the abilities selected at character creation.

Hopefully the fix is coming soon.