[Respec] Losing Abilities and Buffs from Respec/Retrain

Ganrich

Question

Tried respeccing my Troubadour/Trickster and I retained my Invocation from Character Creation, but I lost my phrase.  Although, I am far enough along that I can afford to replace it, I will still be a talent point behind.  No matter.   I was debating restarting for a reason or two.  So, this just ensured that.  Either way.  Minor bug, methinks.  However, I thought you should know. 

Enjoying the game.  Thanks!

After repspecing at inn, my main character lost all buffs from npc training (3k each) and some abilities from multi-classing fighter/chanter! In chanter tree he lost first song and invocation that you choose at creation screen!

post-196074-0-40600800-1525866840_thumb.jpg

post-196074-0-17480000-1525866842_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I'm having some of these problems myself. Was going to tidy up some poor picks, but think I'll reload and wait. I'm definitely seeing the multiclass chanter problem where my level 1 Herald only knows an Invocation. Furthermore, I would like retraining to be even more complete, as you currently can't change your character creation ability picks, just what you got from level ups.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Currently playing a Chanter/Fighter. When creating the character, I got to pick one Chant and one Invocation for my Chanter class (in addition to the one Fighter ability). However, when I respecced I lost my starting Chant (my starting Invocation and Fighter ability were still there) and the point wasn't refunded either. 

While this is not a major issue, it is a nuisance...

So I found a "fun" new bug in my playthrough. Having retrained my watcher at a tavern, I found that all of my watcher talents were now gone.

I unfortunately discovered this a couple hours after the fact so even more fun having to redo all of that, and I now cannot retrain my watcher period. I quickly retrained them again to see if that is what caused it, and yes it is.

• Like 1

So I found a "fun" new bug in my playthrough. Having retrained my watcher at a tavern, I found that all of my watcher talents were now gone.

I unfortunately discovered this a couple hours after the fact so even more fun having to redo all of that, and I now cannot retrain my watcher period. I quickly retrained them again to see if that is what caused it, and yes it is.

Hello, i have this bug too 1h30 losse for me :(

Well atleast we can just farm some Berath blessings and start game over again when hotfix is released! Anyway because of that bug iam tested my first build out and know its not working well!

• Like 1

Can confirm having the same issue.

Lvl 8 Beguiler Cipher, if I respec I lose my 2 watcher skills(Mien of Death Herald and No Pity for the Lost) as well as my 2 trained skills stuff I bought for 3k each. I do seem to retain my starting spell so that's something I guess. I tried resting first, tried in an inn and a random shop, tried moving the character in first slot, tried several times to see if it was random, nothing worked.

Edit: The other skills are Geirvard's Training and Granis' Training, which give +1 to Arcane/History and +1 to Survival/Athletics.

Edited by Pyros Eien
  • Like 2

As a L2 skald, it seemed I lost an ability point when I retrained at the Port Maje Tavern.  But here's the thing: I never selected the ability I lost.  It appeared to be an extra.  At level 2, I had (originally) 1x chant (soft winds) and 2x invocations.  But at some point unnoticed I gained a L1 chant (the piercing / slashing reduction one).  If I level up to 3, this chant does not show as having been selected on the chart, and I can even select it again if I want to "waste" an ability point (that I shouldn't have).  (Now, was I supposed to have 4 ability points already at level 2? If so, then there was a bug with character creation or the L1 to L2 level up.)

So of course I started loading earlier saves to try and figure out where this came from.  And here is where things got really weird: this level 1 chant can be changed in earlier saves (by selecting another chant, which seems to overwrite the extra one) and it affected my later saves.  That's right, going back to an earlier save, leveling up and making different decisions was causing changes to appear in later saves, but only for the extra chant.

Then I restarted the game and reloaded the same save, and the extra chant is gone from there, and from all other saves.  :blink:

EDIT: no wait.  Even with the extra gone, I am still losing an ability point if I retrain my character.  Going from 3 abilities down to 2 at L2.  Reloaded my earliest save and I had 2 ability points at L1 and gained 1 at L2.  Sucks, because I really want to replace an invocation with a chant.  So it seems I was simultaneously experiencing a widespread bug with losing an ability point on retrain, and a very strange bug related to that particular session that was propagating across save games.

Edited by Awkward Davies

Why is it so hard to stress the feature that is sure to be explored by everybody at some point.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Slightly related but not nearly as annoying, if you respec a Wizard who has learned spells that you have currently in your spellbook, the spellbook won't give you the spells back after the respec, they're removed when you respec. This is however easily fixed by simply re-equipping the spellbook, and the spells re-appear.

I am playing a POTD solo chanter/bleak walker pala. I tried rerolling my character at level 7 (reseting talents/levels/skill points whatever you call it), and i lost my level 1 phrase which i got during character creation. It was the damage overtime one that deals 2 raw damage and heals you for 2 health. I did not lose the summon skeletons from creation, just the phrase.

Since the modding stuff was released(see reddit frontpage) and lets you use the console without messing up your achievements, you can kinda fix this by yourself by giving yourself the abilities. I just did it and it seems fine, I respeced then added the watcher abilities and the skill trainings I paid for back, relaunched the game normally and it didn't seem to affect my ability to get achievements. I'd assume it'd work the same for chanter stuff but my issue was different since I play a Cipher.

This should probably be moved to the other forum about support/bugs. But that sure is a weird one. So, you can no longer use your Watcher abilities in battle? Can you still see souls???

They are no longer on my tab bar so i cant click and use them, and they are not mentioned in the Character>Summary page. Its as if they dont exist anymore.

Edited by Gary1986