Combat abilities untargetable + Assassin passive bug + Aloth bug

beatspores

Question

Contentwise this game looks really nice from the little I've played with it, but I have run into a couple of bugs.

1: In combat, I cant use abilites because, while I can select the abilities, I cannot target them on enemies or friendlies. And if I come from stealth for example, I can't target an enemy to engage combat, my characters just walk to him, gets spotted and that of course triggers the combat. That's obviously a bug and makes backstab ability useless.

2: The Assassin class passive bonus doesn't show up on my character damage, the full spec with holding shift, and also it doesn't register for the damage info the few times, despite the above bug, I somehow get a backstab in.

3: I always kill Aloth first thing in PoE because he is pretentious. In my game he is returned from the dead, despite me stating that he's dead in the pre-game state options. Further, he even had the gall to say he traveled with me - infuriating! That leads to the next bug: I can't target him to kill him a second time.

I have a modern PC, 3440x1440 screen. I attach the save game and the other requested files. Ok, I just tried that but the only file this forum system seems to support is the DxDiag.txt. It says the save game file is not allowed to upload and the output_log is too big, well that's what it says.

Regards / beatspores

DxDiag.txt

• Like 1

16 answers to this question

I have the same bug with targeting abilities. Lay on hands, knockdown etc. can be selected but clicking them on enemies or allies does nothing, the left click just isnt registering at all. This is both in and out of combat. Reinstalling didnt help either. The game seems to work fine otherwise but not being able to use targeted abilities is totally gamebreaking.

• Like 1

Yea

I have the same bug with targeting abilities. Lay on hands, knockdown etc. can be selected but clicking them on enemies or allies does nothing, the left click just isnt registering at all. This is both in and out of combat. Reinstalling didnt help either. The game seems to work fine otherwise but not being able to use targeted abilities is totally gamebreaking.

Yea I've tried every trick that has worked for people such as disabling Steam overlay and removing alternative language inputs etc. Nothing has helped. The game is currently unplayable for me too.

3: I always kill Aloth first thing in PoE because he is pretentious. In my game he is returned from the dead, despite me stating that he's dead in the pre-game state options. Further, he even had the gall to say he traveled with me - infuriating! That leads to the next bug: I can't target him to kill him a second time.

Oh nooooo I am sorry, but this was very funny to me :) Thanks for the post! I will make sure each of these is looked into and the issues are figured out. 

Thanks!

-Caleb

• Like 1

I like big bugs and I cannot lie...

Seems like we have the same issue as i also cant use the out of combat target attacking. One other weird thing i have is attacking in combat not working properly if i have multiple units selected. Only the first unit will walk to an enemy and attack normally, while the others treat the command as a movement command and walk to their proper spot in the selected formation. If their AI is off they will then stand still and have the "..." -idle mark in the circle that has sword for attacking etc. If their AI is on they still remain stationary but instead will have the cogs symbol which id assume has something to do with AI. Giving attack commands works fine in combat if the character is the only one selected.

Do you also have this problem or do your characters fight normally when ordered to attack a foe with everyone selected?

Edited by Uni

Oh nooooo I am sorry, but this was very funny to me :) Thanks for the post! I will make sure each of these is looked into and the issues are figured out. 

Thanks!

-Caleb

Thank you for checking up on this. And like I wrote I would provide you with the other files you want for a bug report but the system wouldn't let me. Like I mentioned the forum said I weren't allowed to upload a savegame file and my output_log file was apparently too large, it is precisely 5 000 KB if that says something.

Seems like we have the same issue as i also cant use the out of combat target attacking. One other weird thing i have is attacking in combat not working properly if i have multiple units selected. Only the first unit will walk to an enemy and attack normally, while the others treat the command as a movement command and walk to their proper spot in the selected formation. If their AI is off they will then stand still and have the "..." -idle mark in the circle that has sword for attacking etc. If their AI is on they still remain stationary but instead will have the cogs symbol which id assume has something to do with AI. Giving attack commands works fine in combat if the character is the only one selected.

Do you also have this problem or do your characters fight normally when ordered to attack a foe with everyone selected?

Yes I have that problem too and for me it does not matter if I select only 1 at a time. Any way I do it they just walk to the guy I attack cursor target and they don't attack. I have AI on, haven't thought of the possibility of trying the game with the AI off, I can try that and return.

Btw I have tried to also uninstalling and reinstalling Deadfire from Steam, with reboots etc too. The issues are still there.

I have GOG version so maybe the issue could be some crucial microsoft visual c++ version or some other piece of software missing. People had at least graphics bugs(like cloaks not animating etc.) in PoE1 caused by not having certain c++ version, but fundamental mechanics not working is quite different. Im not tech savvy enough make make very educated guesses.

EDIT: Attacking in combat doesnt actually work for me either even with just one character selected, i just mistook AI attacking after the command to be my command functioning properly.

Edited by Uni

Ok, yea I don't know the first thing about game development so I have no clue whatsoever.

Anyway, I tried attacking etc with the AI off and it's the same thing as before so no luck there for me. That is: I click the sword icon, click the enemy and my character just walks to him with a walk icon just next to the enemy. Also I've tried windowed and fullscreen and different resolutions, using and not using smart camera etc. and that does not change anything.

And again, for the devs, the issue is bigger than just the attacking it is the ability targeting and that too, like I wrote in the top post.

Edited by beatspores

Actually, are we able to get your PoE 1 save as well? One of our devs is currently looking into the issue? If not, did you use the in-game editor?

Thanks!

-Caleb

EDIT:

Sorry! Scratch that. I don't have a PoE 1 save I set up the game with the Deadfire options PoE 1 Game Stats function.

Hi, thanks a ton for checking up on it. The save game is in the zip-file, starting with Feykir ending with .savegame.

I am not familiar with the in-game editor? Is it the command-line-thing? I haven't done anything else with the game other than setting up things in the settings and playing the game and saving and loading.

Edited by beatspores

2: The Assassin class passive bonus doesn't show up on my character damage, the full spec with holding shift, and also it doesn't register for the damage info the few times, despite the above bug, I somehow get a backstab in.

I think it's just damage, I always get bonus to accuracy and pen from assassin, but the damage multiplier is only working on crits for me. It's playable, but makes assassin really swingy and a bit weaker on PoTD then it should be.

• Like 1

I got my targeting to work by restoring default keybinds, and now i feel like a total moron for not trying that earlier. Left mouse click is tied to multiple different things so its quite easy to accidentally misbind, as you click stuff when you want to change other keybinds.