Subclass Companions Like Eder To Unbroken

I'm a little disappointed that I can't subclass my companions, especially Eder.

He seems the obvious choice for a tank, yet he can't subclass to the tank subclass Unbroken.

Will we be able to subclass all or if not a few companions in the future?

Thanks

Will we be able to subclass all or if not a few companions in the future?

believe Josh said it's something they might add at a future date, but there have been no promises. I agree that it's a shame.

Cheers for the reply

While I was poking through companions' audio files trying to make some changes, I noticed that Xoti has voice files for chanter chants, barbarian yells, and paladin abilities. So perhaps Obsidian anticipated people wanting to mod in other classes.

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

If you don't care about achievements, you can add most subclasses with the AddAbility command. I made Eder a streetfighter.

If you do that, make sure to hire a merc with the subclass you want and look at what abilities you need. For streetfighter, I had to add the streetfighter core passive as well as the three abilities corresponding to Looking for a Fight, Heating Up, and the third one.

• 2 weeks later...

Considering a big update is due at the start of June, what are the chances the ability to subclass companions will be added?

I wouldn't count on it. Best bet if you care about achievements is probably use a mod that specifically adds subclasses to companions.

Personally I'd like to see Ydwin get Ascendant or Beguiler. The former because it's probably the most fun cipher subclass, or the latter because it makes sense with a rogue multiclass.

It would be a good mod idea that allows you to TRULY respec companions from all options within their starting class at a vendor. IE Eder can be anything as long as his main starting class is fighter for example. It would certainly allow some more synergy on your initial play-through so where you wouldn't have to sacrifice efficiency for story, though I don't know if it would ruin anything in the story down the road (doubtful).  It's a great idea but there are so many bugs/balance issues that need addressing first I wouldn't hold my breath,. 

For starter it would be great if there was more option than 3 to pick class for companions. More like 6 or 8.

It is better to run with companions than hirelings. But i also want to experiment with different builds, and have more or less balanced party.

For starter, there could be like 1-2 favorite class for each companion, but after that they could MC more freely.

For starter it would be great if there was more option than 3 to pick class for companions. More like 6 or 8.

It is better to run with companions than hirelings. But i also want to experiment with different builds, and have more or less balanced party.

For starter, there could be like 1-2 favorite class for each companion, but after that they could MC more freely.

I suspect they want the companions to have behaviors that fit with their persona and philosophy. Limiting the class choices may enhance that.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Totally agree, for one I want to be the swashbuckler of the group, but i also cannot not have Eder's animal loving self in my group. It's isn't possible, he (and Matt M.) are just too lovable to miss. 

I suspect they want the companions to have behaviors that fit with their persona and philosophy. Limiting the class choices may enhance that.

Josh has said that's not the reason. They did it the way they did because it was proving too complicated to allow full customizability for companions. He said they aren't ruling out changing it in the future.

Josh has said that's not the reason. They did it the way they did because it was proving too complicated to allow full customizability for companions. He said they aren't ruling out changing it in the future.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

That is why theyre could be "favorite" class and then bunch of multiclass, so each time same companion will play a bit different.

If not fully customization, then there could be longer list to choose from (6?)

Moders are able to change CompanionTables file, so it is notimpossible.

They have telemetric data, so can check which combos are desired, and pass on Priest/Cipher one.

There could a text lebeles "we reallly recommend this class for this character" or "for the last time, dont multiclass if you dont know what you are doing".

Edited by evilcat

• 1 month later...