Entering Engwithan Digsite Arena Sub-level causes freeze

Alot

Question

Whenever I try to enter the Engwithan Digsite Arena Sub-level the game will try to load the area for a short while, but eventually get stuck on a black screen showing only the cursor. When this happens I am unable to quit the game or force the application to close via task manager and need to restart my PC.

This dropbox link contains my savefile and below are the output and DxDiag logs.

output_log.txt

DxDiag.txt

Edit: Nevermind, it just loaded; I have NO idea why.

Edited by Alot
  • Like 3

The Sharmat on Sensuki:

"It is not Baldur's Gate 3 he yearns to play. It is the experience of playing Baldur's Gate for the first time."

This seems to have corrected itself for me. I tried to upgrade my Ram, but the stick I got was not compatible, so I put the old Ram back in. Booted up the game and it ran faster. Tried the ruins for the hell of it. They loaded up easily and I was able to play through just fine.

What the hell?

• Like 1

Hi, Well, after multiple search I ended up finding a way to bypass the problem and pass this part without using cheat code or others ...

If just like me, you have tried all the solutions above and you have not found a solution this could work for you as it has been for me.

First, you have to go to the game directory, it's different depending on whether you use the Steam or GOG version

Secondly, once in the game directory go to this folder "\ Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire \ PillarsOfEternityII_Data \ assetbundles \ streamtile"

Once in the "streamtile" folder locate our problem location "st_ar_0912_engwithan_digsite_sublevel" and rename this file to "st_ar_0912_engwithandigsitesublevel"

Once it's done, open the game and normally enter the engwithan sublevel you will notice that the space inside is all white without any graphics and texture and it is because by renaming the file the correspondence between the files texture and location does not stick anymore. So, you can access it without problem.

Once inside, it's all white, but you can still perceive mummified statuses and enemies too. To reach the goal of the quest you do not need to open a door or anything I found myself without a map but for those who would like to know where they go, you can use this map (https : //game-maps.com/Deadfire/Arena-Sub-Level-Map.asp). The objective of the quest is the pillar adra bright at point 10. You get the notes, make the cutscene, you find the exit and the quest is validated and finally says ADIOS to port Maje. :dancing: 

I know that manipulated the game files this way can be dangerous but there is no solution to it.

That finally worked for me. Thanks a lot!

Hi, Well, after multiple search I ended up finding a way to bypass the problem and pass this part without using cheat code or others ...

If just like me, you have tried all the solutions above and you have not found a solution this could work for you as it has been for me.

First, you have to go to the game directory, it's different depending on whether you use the Steam or GOG version

Secondly, once in the game directory go to this folder "\ Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire \ PillarsOfEternityII_Data \ assetbundles \ streamtile"

Once in the "streamtile" folder locate our problem location "st_ar_0912_engwithan_digsite_sublevel" and rename this file to "st_ar_0912_engwithandigsitesublevel"

Once it's done, open the game and normally enter the engwithan sublevel you will notice that the space inside is all white without any graphics and texture and it is because by renaming the file the correspondence between the files texture and location does not stick anymore. So, you can access it without problem.

Once inside, it's all white, but you can still perceive mummified statuses and enemies too. To reach the goal of the quest you do not need to open a door or anything I found myself without a map but for those who would like to know where they go, you can use this map (https : //game-maps.com/Deadfire/Arena-Sub-Level-Map.asp). The objective of the quest is the pillar adra bright at point 10. You get the notes, make the cutscene, you find the exit and the quest is validated and finally says ADIOS to port Maje. :dancing: 

I know that manipulated the game files this way can be dangerous but there is no solution to it.

Thank you for that.

I hope the devs working on solving the problem will see your workaround as it might point them to whatever's wrong there...

I am also facing this same problem. Whenever I'm loading into the Arena sub-level, there is the black screen with only the mouse cursor visible. When I check the Task Manager in this situation, the CPU usage and Disk usage levels of the game's .exe file are nearly 0. It doesn't seem to resolve no matter how long I wait. However, all the other maps (that are accessible at the moment) are loading normally without any issues.

The strange thing is that the very first time I played the game and entered the Arena sub-level, it loaded without any problems. That time, I made a save game after speaking with Eothas, thinking I'll continue later from there. And the next time onwards, I could neither load that save file (that is, black screen occurs), nor enter that area again by loading into any previous area and entering from there. Also, for your information, I'm playing with the GOG version.

I've provided my save game file, output file, and dxdiag file within a .rar file via the following Google Drive link. Hope it helps to fix the issue.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hjxzLmY7cREGD37R_IxkhSmwzVoKJyF5

(It seems I'm not permitted to directly upload the .rar file using the uploader feature here. Is it because I'm a new member?)

I was really enjoying the game until this bug happened and now I'm locked out from progressing further. I hope this gets fixed soon, for I'm very eager to continue my adventure in this brilliant game. Best wishes and good luck to the development team!

Even with pack 1.2, there is still the problem of locking when I enter the arena sublevel: the screen goes black and continues to load indefinitely. I hope they get it resolved in the next updates, because it's no use launching new updates and DLC's if the base game does not work from that point!

I just updated to the latest patch today, hoping that this issue might have been fixed by now. But alas! The problem still persists.

I am soooo eager to continue playing this game, but cannot do so due to this bug and this bug alone. It is so very disappointing.  :(

I hope the developers are looking into this matter. This issue would have not been so bothering if this area were not part of the main story line. I hope it is given due concern and priority for the very fact that it is a game-breaking one. Those who are facing it simply cannot progress any further and cannot keep on playing the game. It is my sincere request to the developers, please, do something to fix this issue. Please help us! I want to play this game.   ;(

I just updated to the latest patch today, hoping that this issue might have been fixed by now. But alas! The problem still persists.

I am soooo eager to continue playing this game, but cannot do so due to this bug and this bug alone. It is so very disappointing. :(

I hope the developers are looking into this matter. This issue would have not been so bothering if this area were not part of the main story line. I hope it is given due concern and priority for the very fact that it is a game-breaking one. Those who are facing it simply cannot progress any further and cannot keep on playing the game. It is my sincere request to the developers, please, do something to fix this issue. Please help us! I want to play this game. ;(

It’s been three months now and they still haven’t done anything. At this point I don’t think they care. :/

Hi all,

I've updated the Known Issues post with the following message, but I will relay that message here as well:

We are committed to fixing this issue and after much analysis, we've come to the conclusion that 
we need one of your rigs that is experiencing the issue to runs tests on for ourselves. Specifically, we are requesting that anyone who is nearby to our Irvine office to please physically bring in their computer so that we may have our programmers discern the direct cause of this crash. If you are nearby, experiencing this issue, and are willing to let us borrow your machine for analysis, please message me directly so that I may set up an appointment for you.

Hi all,

I've updated the Known Issues post with the following message, but I will relay that message here as well:

We are committed to fixing this issue and after much analysis, we've come to the conclusion that we need one of your rigs that is experiencing the issue to runs tests on for ourselves. Specifically, we are requesting that anyone who is nearby to our Irvine office to please physically bring in their computer so that we may have our programmers discern the direct cause of this crash. If you are nearby, experiencing this issue, and are willing to let us borrow your machine for analysis, please message me directly so that I may set up an appointment for you.

Thanks a lot for taking this matter into your consideration!  :)

I've answered the questions related to this issue in the "Known Major Issues" thread, and have also attached the Dump File as mentioned there (via a Google Drive link) in a subsequent post in the same thread. Hope that helps! :) I think others facing this issue should take a look at that thread, and hopefully all of our answers can lead to this problem being solved ultimately. Good luck to the developers!

Disappointed again ... even in this last major patch 2.0 have not yet solved the problem of locking the game when it enters the sub level of the Engwithian arena, having no way to continue in the adventure. On the contrary, they still launch a DLC without still fixing the problem in the base game! They also ask to take the notebook or PC in virginia to see what the real problem is when we have reports and submissions of multiplayer files to the developers and still do not solve it! What a disappointment!

Disappointed again ... even in this last major patch 2.0 have not yet solved the problem of locking the game when it enters the sub level of the Engwithian arena, having no way to continue in the adventure. On the contrary, they still launch a DLC without still fixing the problem in the base game! They also ask to take the notebook or PC in Irvine Ofiice to see what the real problem is when we have reports and uploads of multiplayer files to the developers and still do not solve it! What a disappointment!

This is more so that the last post in this thread isn't awful more than an actual argument I want to have but like.

It's pretty clear that they've tried a LOT in order to get this bug fixed. If they're asking for people's PC's then it's likely they simply can not reproduce the issue on the PC's they're using over at Obsidian. Yes, people uploaded their log files but anyone reasonable can probably assume that that wasn't enough.

Really wish I lived anywhere near the Obsidian office so that I could loan my laptop out to get this fixed but just gonna hold out hope that SOMEONE is nearby.

• Like 1

Thank you! Now you have solved the problem of freezing at the entrance to the sub-level of the engwithan arena !!! Thank you !!

Had to try it out myself and sure enough, I seem to be able to enter the sub-level without any troubles now.

Have to give it another try later in the weekend to make sure it isn't a fluke, but if it isn't: thank you for fixing this annoying issue!