Entering Engwithan Digsite Arena Sub-level causes freeze

Alot

Question

Whenever I try to enter the Engwithan Digsite Arena Sub-level the game will try to load the area for a short while, but eventually get stuck on a black screen showing only the cursor. When this happens I am unable to quit the game or force the application to close via task manager and need to restart my PC.

This dropbox link contains my savefile and below are the output and DxDiag logs.

output_log.txt

DxDiag.txt

Edit: Nevermind, it just loaded; I have NO idea why.

Edited by Alot
  • Like 3

The Sharmat on Sensuki:

"It is not Baldur's Gate 3 he yearns to play. It is the experience of playing Baldur's Gate for the first time."

I have the same issue since patch 1.0.2 was introduced (I also synced the game with GOG Galaxy at the time). I tried going to Kraken's Eye and changing my party around, then saved/reloaded. And now that same freeze happens when I try to enter world map, so some progress, I guess. Will try making new char later on.

output_log.txt

FIXED. Turned graphics to lowest, VSync off and set MSAA samples to four. Worked fine.

Doesn't work for me((

Ok, I had all the ticks off in the graphic settings. So not just Vsync, but unticked every box. Set the MSAA to four and it'll change the graphics box to a line rather than low etc. Took a little bit of load time but then went through, changed the settings back to normal to explore, then off again once I exited. I'm a little ways in now and haven't had the problem occur again.

This worked for me. Thank you. Had to turn everything off to enter, but I got the quest done.

I really hope the issue is even able to be fixed. None of the solutions in this thread that worked for other people have worked for me at all.

Same here. Still cannot play the game because of this loading issue.

Would be nice to hear that it is being fixed at some point.

So I can get into the digsite but I freeze constantly in there. I also tried loading an earlier save on the world map and I freeze there also. It starts freezing from 30 seconds to 1 minute into play. Have tried lowering graphical settings. 

Copy of my crash log here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-fRinlyDWVuuBxXGZ4gtDAGHGqFyx2mI

I have the same problem as all above and I tried to build a new character, however it happened again. Some people says that this problem is related to the RAM size, and my computer only has 4 GB RAM,which just satisfied the lowest requirement of the game. Is this the reason? And hope this problem can be fixed quickly. 

I have the same problem as all above and I tried to build a new character, however it happened again. Some people says that this problem is related to the RAM size, and my computer only has 4 GB RAM,which just satisfied the lowest requirement of the game. Is this the reason? And hope this problem can be fixed quickly. 

I have 16GB of ram FYI

Hey all,

Sorry to hear its stopping you guys from getting into the digsite, and thanks a ton for providing those files it really helps! Any more info you guys can provide will help greatly. I'll be sure to get this entered to be looked at.

Thanks,

-Caleb

I have tried all methods mentioned above, however they don't work for me. I buy this game from GOG and install it by GOG galaxy. I run it on Windows 10 and my laptop has 4GB RAM.

And here is my output log: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XWeJCH0TH3-1WjHTpbRcX1YFdwZxI7GI

Hope it is useful for you to fix the bug. What's more, I hope you can fix it more quickly. This problem happened at the beginning of the game and I can not continue enjoying the game without the bug fixed.

Also, I hope that you developers can post the progress of fixing. 

Thanks a lot.

Given up on this game for the time being. Got it working on the BETA before the last update. Worked fine for 30hrs and got to the digsite. The update corresponded with me trying to get into the sub-level place, and hasnt worked since! Even trying to start one of my previous saves now just goes to the hand icon and blank screen! Read every single forum and fix and know I havent the "recommended" system requirements, but having played 30hrs, I know it will work (eventually). Thought log and hard about getting a refund (Steam), but know that when this finally works I will enjoy, but bloody frustrating currently.

• Like 1

Any extra word from the developers? Seems like you blatantly released the game in beta mode, Obsidian. For the graphics displayed, the amount of resources and loading times are ridiculous and evidently not very well optimized. Well, the problem remains: this is a hard crash and should be the utmost priority on next patch! Ps: Discard at once this is hardware related: as many others have stated, it looks/seems more like a memory leak / bad programming code.

Edited by dunholy

Tried turning the graphics down, tried area transition from town, everything ends up the same. I have 6GB ram (soon to be 8), so I am in a little better shape than people with 4GB, but the same problem.

GOG Obsidian Edition btw

Hi Obsidian's friends, right now i'm just disgusted. I paid the game 2 times guys, and for the same problem !!  I paid the GoG Mac version first and I couldn't enter  to the digsite sub-level arena, I wait for the first patch and the problem was not resolved ! I said ok, maybe they have problem's with apple computer with intel and I paid the steam Version of the game for windows and Again the same problem !!!  I try all the solution find to the web and none of them works for me. So, please i don't know what is the problem exactly with this specific place but solve it or better just remove the dungeon and place it somewhere else !!! That's just unfair to publish dlc when some people can not play the game at all.  

• Like 2

Hi, Well, after multiple search I ended up finding a way to bypass the problem and pass this part without using cheat code or others ...

If just like me, you have tried all the solutions above and you have not found a solution this could work for you as it has been for me.
First, you have to go to the game directory, it's different depending on whether you use the Steam or GOG version

Secondly, once in the game directory go to this folder "\ Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire \ PillarsOfEternityII_Data \ assetbundles \ streamtile"

Once in the "streamtile" folder locate our problem location "st_ar_0912_engwithan_digsite_sublevel" and rename this file to "st_ar_0912_engwithandigsitesublevel"
Once it's done, open the game and normally enter the engwithan sublevel you will notice that the space inside is all white without any graphics and texture and it is because by renaming the file the correspondence between the files texture and location does not stick anymore. So, you can access it without problem.

Once inside, it's all white, but you can still perceive mummified statuses and enemies too. To reach the goal of the quest you do not need to open a door or anything I found myself without a map but for those who would like to know where they go, you can use this map (https : //game-maps.com/Deadfire/Arena-Sub-Level-Map.asp). The objective of the quest is the pillar adra bright at point 10. You get the notes, make the cutscene, you find the exit and the quest is validated and finally says ADIOS to port Maje. :dancing: 

I know that manipulated the game files this way can be dangerous but there is no solution to it.

• Like 3