Entering Engwithan Digsite Arena Sub-level causes freeze

Alot

Question

Whenever I try to enter the Engwithan Digsite Arena Sub-level the game will try to load the area for a short while, but eventually get stuck on a black screen showing only the cursor. When this happens I am unable to quit the game or force the application to close via task manager and need to restart my PC.

This dropbox link contains my savefile and below are the output and DxDiag logs.

output_log.txt

DxDiag.txt

Edit: Nevermind, it just loaded; I have NO idea why.

Edited by Alot
  • Like 3

The Sharmat on Sensuki:

"It is not Baldur's Gate 3 he yearns to play. It is the experience of playing Baldur's Gate for the first time."

I tried messing with Vsync and MSAA - still crashes :(

From what I’ve heard on Twitter, there’s set to be a major patch released next Tuesday - is a fix for this problem going to be included in that patch?

Thank you all for your help :)

• Like 3

I've got the same problem. I've tried it on 2 PCs, a desktop and a laptop. Same result - won't load the arena sub-level.

I've also tried different graphics settings and creating new character - no help.

• Like 1

Just chiming in to repeat what the others in the topic have said. Every attempt to enter the Arena sub level ends with a black screen. I can move the mouse, but that's it, I have to Ctrl+Alt+Del and sign out in order to get out. Really frustrating, any way to get past this would help.

I am seeing the same issue.  If I let it run for a minute, I can Alt-Tab.  If I let it run for several minutes, I have to hard reboot my system.

From the log file, it has this:

------- BEGIN LEVEL LOAD INITIATED --------        Pending level = AR_0912_Engwithan_Digsite_Sublevel.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Cannot destroy GameObject while it's parent is being activated or deactivated.

(Filename:  Line: 1560)

Unloading 3 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 17)

Unloading 1854 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 108401.
Total: 760.120422 ms (FindLiveObjects: 12.878096 ms CreateObjectMapping: 6.110727 ms MarkObjects: 729.702454 ms  DeleteObjects: 11.428281 ms)

Unloading 40 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 17)

Unloading 3182 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 124646.
Total: 1366.945313 ms (FindLiveObjects: 13.786044 ms CreateObjectMapping: 5.873074 ms MarkObjects: 1344.710815 ms  DeleteObjects: 2.573656 ms)

ArgumentException: The Object you want to instantiate is null.
  at UnityEngine.Object.CheckNullArgument (System.Object arg, System.String message) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Object.Instantiate[GameObject] (UnityEngine.GameObject original) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Game.ResourceManager.InstantiateObject[GameObject] (UnityEngine.Object asset, Vector3 position, Quaternion rotation, ContainerType ContainerTypeToParentUnder) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Game.ResourceManager.InstantiateObject[GameObject] (UnityEngine.Object asset, ContainerType ContainerTypeToParentUnder) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AudioBank.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.GameObject:SetActive(Boolean)
Game.RootObjectContainer:ActivateRootObject()
Game.LoadedScene:ActivateScene()
Game.SceneLoadManager:ActivateScene(LoadedScene, LoadedScene)
Game.<LoadAndSwitchToSceneWhenReadyRoutine>c__Iterator3:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

(Filename:  Line: -1)
  • Like 1

Have a very similar problem. Game freezes in black screen after first entering the dig site. Mouse pointer is working normally, the music abruptly stops and stays that way. The only way out is Alt+shift+del or reboot. Left the game for 3 hours, nope, nothing. Restarted the game about 6-7 times and disabled most and then all of the graphics ticks with no result. hope someone do something about this soon

• Like 3

Did anyone try to re-create a char and run the game from the very beginning to that point?

Yeah. I created a different character, sped-run to that point and the same thing happened. I've played around with graphical settings, I've even changed my graphics card (not specifically for this, just happened to coincide) and it has not resolved the issue.

Which is a shame, since I greatly enjoyed the hour of gameplay I'd been able to see up to that point.

I'd love to know a timeframe for when this will be fixed. Or if it will be fixed. Because if it's longer than a week, I'm gonna need a refund.

Well... I managed to somewhat circumvent the issue/bug by using the console to AreaTransition to "The Hole" (Tavern), which let me into the next city. Most everything seems to be working as well as can be expected for essentially skipping part of the main storyline. I recruited some new companions, bought a (few) new ship(s), and even basically hired a new crew. I even managed to get the new storyline quest. Cleared all the combat areas I could find on the island so far as well. Downside is, I still can't actually "use" the ship(s). Leaving by sea is still grayed out. Well, and Aloth, despite stating that he wants to talk now that we're off the island, still wont let me talk to him since he still just says "We'll speak more when we're away from Port Maje" whenever I try to talk to him.. but that's a non-issue since he got voted out of my active crew for two other Godlike's.

I was able to get it so I could actually select an active ship by using the console to activate the Defiant, and then change it to what I wanted manually after that - but I still can't actually "use" said ship (unless I'm missing something as for how to actually board said ship). So my question for now is, since I really want to actually experience the game and am already knee deep in console commands just because I needed to skip a single map, is there a way to either enable sea travel via console, or.. how do I actually get the AdvanceQuest command to work properly so I can just AreaTransition back to Port Maje and enable sea travel properly via the "Stranded" quest? Either will be fine. Its just that, what with sea travel being such an integral part of the game... I can't really "do" much without it.

This is just for workaround purposes until the arena sub-level issue gets fixed/patched, since I plan on doing multiple playthroughs with different Legacy choices anyway?

So, how do I enable sea travel via console, or advance the "Stranded" quest to just past the arena sub-level, so I can access the meat of the game? Thanks.

Aloth: "Vela, that's not a very nice word... Where did you learn that?"

Vela: "Uncle Serafen."

Aloth: "I see.. We'll just have to have a little chat then, wont we?"

Well... I managed to somewhat circumvent the issue/bug by using the console to AreaTransition to "The Hole" (Tavern), which let me into the next city.

Is there an option to transition into the Sub-Arena using the console? Or has someone tried that and the loading got stuck all the same? 

Is there an option to give the PC the notes (quest item?) required to finish the quest via the console?

Well... I managed to somewhat circumvent the issue/bug by using the console to AreaTransition to "The Hole" (Tavern), which let me into the next city.

Is there an option to transition into the Sub-Arena using the console? Or has someone tried that and the loading got stuck all the same? 

Is there an option to give the PC the notes (quest item?) required to finish the quest via the console?

It says something about being able to hand the governor the animancers notes in the quest log, but if it works... I don't know which "notes" they are as far as items go. I've tried adding various "quest item" flagged notes via the console already (FindGameData command is a godsend - THANKS!), but none have updated my quest journal when added so far, nor have I found any that change the conversation options with the governor. Believe me, I've already spent the better part of two hours just standing next to the governor, adding various items via the console (GiveItem <thing>), scouring item and quest names, and trying in vain to get the AdvanceQuest command to work so I could just skip that one map - for now - but to no avail.

Hence why I just used AreaTrasition to go to the next town.

If you'd like to do the same - for now - to at least experience a bit more of the game, just open the console and type "AreaTransition A" and then keep hitting Tab until you see the one with The Hole" in the name.

The full command will be;

"AreaTransition <long area name The Hole> South1 0"

That'll put you inside a tavern in the next big city. You'll have to walk to the docks, and it'll whip you across the map for some rather... entertaining interactions. But there's SEVERAL more hours of content just in that city and the surrounding island, so it should tide you over for awhile.

Just to extinguish even the more improbable options, in addition to rolling a new character, I also tried going to the Sub-Arena without entering any of the other rooms in the Dig Site, as well as entering it before I talk to the people in the cage, but nothing worked.

I did notice though, that in both of my "playthroughs" the Sub-Arena was missing the appropriate yellow diamond-shaped map icon. Can't say if that's related or not, but worth mentioning, I suppose.

It says something about being able to hand the governor the animancers notes in the quest log, but if it works... I don't know which "notes" they are as far as items go. I've tried adding various "quest item" flagged notes via the console already (FindGameData command is a godsend - THANKS!), but none have updated my quest journal when added so far, nor have I found any that change the conversation options with the governor. Believe me, I've already spent the better part of two hours just standing next to the governor, adding various items via the console (GiveItem <thing>), scouring item and quest names, and trying in vain to get the AdvanceQuest command to work so I could just skip that one map - for now - but to no avail.

Hence why I just used AreaTrasition to go to the next town.

If you'd like to do the same - for now - to at least experience a bit more of the game, just open the console and type "AreaTransition A" and then keep hitting Tab until you see the one with The Hole" in the name.

The full command will be;

"AreaTransition <long area name The Hole> South1 0"

That'll put you inside a tavern in the next big city. You'll have to walk to the docks, and it'll whip you across the map for some rather... entertaining interactions. But there's SEVERAL more hours of content just in that city and the surrounding island, so it should tide you over for awhile.

Thank you, what you wrote is a godsend. I will do just that and enjoy some of the side content and when the issue is fixed, hopefully, reroll a new character to enjoy the main plot. 

At last, I made it there. Just like in PoE1, areatransition saved the day. At least, when you try & fail & try & try again & again 'til it works. 

Press § (Ö on my nordic keyboard) / iroll20s

I traveled to Port Maje's Gorecci Street. Well actually using this 'cause I'm lazy --> areatransition AR_0916_Port_Maje_Street North1 ZN_09_Port_Maje
Then to Engwithan Digsite Sub-Level ---> areatransition AR_0912_Engwithan_Digsite_Sublevel West1 ZN_09_Port_Maje

And don't ask me, why the level starts from the east side... Finished it & even got out of there without no freeze / black screen and now - we are sailing, we are sailing.....

• Like 5

At last, I made it there. Just like in PoE1, areatransition saved the day. At least, when you try & fail & try & try again & again 'til it works. 

I traveled to Port Maje's Gorecci Street. Well actually using this 'cause I'm lazy --> areatransition AR_0916_Port_Maje_Street North1 ZN_09_Port_Maje

Then to Engwithan Digsite Sub-Level ---> areatransition AR_0912_Engwithan_Digsite_Sublevel West1 ZN_09_Port_Maje

And don't ask me, why the level starts from the east side... Finished it & even got out of there without no freeze / black screen and now - we are sailing, we are sailing.....

DEAR LORDE

Oh my god this works. It took me two tries though but it worked. Hopefully I don’t crash this time. And if I do, hopefully I can get back in. Thanks dude!

It should also be noted that graphic settings don’t matter either. At least, when MSAA is at 1

Edited by shonix

I can confirm that the console command works for me too. Specifically, it works when I use it while I'm somewhere other than the Digsite itself. Using it while on Digsite is the same as just trying to walk downstairs normally.

Regardless, thanks a bunch! I can finally start the game proper.

IT WORKS! THX DUDE! It took me 1 try!

Man, when it says:"the command "areatransition" is not available at this time" - it's okay? I should try more, or maybe i do something wrong?

(Sorry for probably stupid questions)

You need to enter iroll20s to enable cheatsfirst

It worked for me too. You are a miracle worker! :) Thank you so much! Hopefully I can still get achievements if I re-type iroll20s and disable cheats

No, your achievements will be fully disabled for that playthrough.

But what's more important, being able to actually enjoy the game, or getting a few achievements?

• Like 1