PE2 can't find PE1 files

brimacgregor

Question

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble importing my PoE save game into Deadfire... When I go to choose the import option in-game, it says no save files found, even though I checked and I haven't moved my gamecomplete.savegame file from the folder it was originally in. Just for reference, I'm on a Mac and trying to import a save from a game bought on the App Store into Steam. Not sure if any of that could be causing problems. 

This worked for me: Show Hidden files = On / Copy "...gamecomplete.savegame" from PoE's save folder to --->

C:\Users\MyName\AppData\LocalLow\Obsidian Entertainment\Pillars of Eternity\CurrentGame

Thank you SO much!! It worked! You're my hero <3

Hey all,

Noticed that the mods merged two different threads together about this issue, but not sure why since the original thread I was posting in was dealing with not being able to see PoE1 save files on MAC, and most people on this other thread seem to be dealing with PC, which obviously uses different file systems and file paths. Regardless, I'm STILL having an issue with this. 

I'm running on MacOS 10.13.4 and my PoE1 game was bought through the Mac App Store and PoE2 was bought through steam. My PoE2, when trying to import my previous game, continues to say "no save files found". I have tried everything suggested here so far, including putting either all my PoE1 saves or just the "...gamecomplete.savegame" file in both the folder for PoE1 saved games AND in the folder for PoE2 saved games. My previous post in this thread lists the specific file paths I've found for those folders.

Please help me out here Cdiaz, I just need to know what specific folder PoE2 on steam for Mac is querying for previous saved games so I can put my save file in there. I really would like this issue resolved before the hotfix patch comes out on Tuesday, so that I can dive right into playing. Thank you again for your time.

For the record, based on Jeris Boltsin's suggestion, I tried putting my gamecomplete.savegame file in "~Library/Application Support/unity.Obsidian Entertainment.Pillars Of Eternity II/CurrentGame" since that seemed to be a similar folder to the one he used successfully, but it still didn't work for me.

Hi all. After emailing Obsidian support I finally have my answer, which was tested and worked great!

You have to put your "...gamecomplete.savegame" file in the following file path: ~/Library/Application Support/Pillars of Eternity/Saved Games

That file path may not exist for you already (it didn't for me) but if you create folders to make that file path it will work great. You may have to restart after moving the file over for the game to recognize it.

Hi all,

To import your Pillars of Eternity 1 save files to use for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire on Mac, try placing your completed save files in the following file location:

~Library/Application Support/Pillars of Eternity/Saved Games

Please also be sure that in order for your PoE1 saves to be recognized as valid importable saves that the main story must have been completed and the end game slides have been viewed.

Thanks,

-Jon

• Like 1

Hi all,

To import your Pillars of Eternity 1 save files to use for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire on Mac, try placing your completed save files in the following file location:

Please also be sure that in order for your PoE1 saves to be recognized as valid importable saves that the main story must have been completed and the end game slides have been viewed.

Thanks,

-Jon

May you please explain what does it mean by "~Library" in the path provided above? Thanks.

Edited by cheungie

Hi all,

Thanks,

-Jon

May you please explain what does it mean by "~Library" in the path provided above? Thanks.

"~/Library" is a Mac specific file path referring to the Library folder inside your user's Home folder. It is hidden by default, but you can access it by opening a Finder window, clicking Go in the menu bar, then "Go to Folder", then manually typing in "~/Library". Hope that helps!

The first time I imported a game, everything looked fine (although I did get the Edér and Vela bugs and decided to wait for a fix before beginning "for real").

A day later, the save that shows up is suddenly named "Lighthouse" in the save import menu. The date, playtime and screenshot matches my gamecomplete save and the party does too, except Aloth's portrait is missing from the lineup for some reason.

And now, no saves show up at all. Everything is still in the right folder and in PoE1 all games appear and work correctly.

I came across this issue as I started the game right after the game was installed. I had the gamecomplete.savegame file properly placed in the PoE1 folder, yet the game could not find the file as my character talked to Berath.

Then, I restarted my computer and Steam, and problem solved.

Hope this helps.

So I have the same problem as original poster.

Mac running 10.13.4.  PoE 1 bought on Apple Store.  PoE 2 bought on GOG.  Found the original, complete save game.  Imported to PoE2 Save games folder at ~Library/Application Support/Pillars of Eternity/Saved Games.  Restarted computer.  Went through the increasingly boring intro.  Sat down in the chair, and still a "no saved games found" dialog shows up.  It would be nice if there were  a manual option to find the save.

Hey Mereinid,

Did you make sure to copy the savegame complete file? That's what the Importer is looking for. If you could send me the save you're trying to use I can help try to assess what is going on, as well as the path youre trying to save it all to.

Thanks!

-Caleb

Hi Cdiaz,

I'm also having the same issue. My copy of PoE1 was purchased from the Mac App Store but my copy of PoE2 was a steam purchase. When I go to import my save file from the first game, it says "no save files found". I found my savgegame complete file and copied it into my PoE2 saves folder and then restarted my computer as was suggested by someone here, but to no avail. The file paths in question are below. Thanks for your help!

PoE1 Save Original File Path: ~/Library/Containers/com.mpdigital.poecomplete/Data/Library/Application Support/Pillars of Eternity/Saved Games

PoE2 Save File Path where I copied my savegame complete file: ~/Library/Application Support/Pillars of Eternity II/Saved Games

File Name of the savegame complete file I copied over: 3e187011-9ccd-4ad4-b51a-a4f6773d7bcc gamecomplete.savegame

Hopefully this is enough information for you to tell me what I'm missing, but let me know if you need any other info. Thanks again!

Hi, thanks for the pointer to the Mac App Store based PoE 1 save games!

I took the one that ends on gamecomplete.savegame, created the following folder structure (which did not exist yet for me):

~/Library/Application Support/Pillars of Eternity/Saved Games

and that's where I have put the savegame.

Then started PoE2, went through the whole New Game sequence, and now the game lets me import my PoE1 endgame history into PoE2!

iMac running High Sierra

PoE1 from Mac App Store

PoE2 from GOG

Hey Mereinid,

Did you make sure to copy the savegame complete file? That's what the Importer is looking for. If you could send me the save you're trying to use I can help try to assess what is going on, as well as the path youre trying to save it all to.

Thanks!

-Caleb

Hi Cdiaz,

I'm also having the same issue. My copy of PoE1 was purchased from the Mac App Store but my copy of PoE2 was a steam purchase. When I go to import my save file from the first game, it says "no save files found". I found my savgegame complete file and copied it into my PoE2 saves folder and then restarted my computer as was suggested by someone here, but to no avail. The file paths in question are below. Thanks for your help!

PoE1 Save Original File Path: ~/Library/Containers/com.mpdigital.poecomplete/Data/Library/Application Support/Pillars of Eternity/Saved Games

PoE2 Save File Path where I copied my savegame complete file: ~/Library/Application Support/Pillars of Eternity II/Saved Games

File Name of the savegame complete file I copied over: 3e187011-9ccd-4ad4-b51a-a4f6773d7bcc gamecomplete.savegame

Hopefully this is enough information for you to tell me what I'm missing, but let me know if you need any other info. Thanks again!

Hi, thanks for the pointer to the Mac App Store based PoE 1 save games!

I took the one that ends on gamecomplete.savegame, created the following folder structure (which did not exist yet for me):

~/Library/Application Support/Pillars of Eternity/Saved Games

and that's where I have put the savegame.

Then started PoE2, went through the whole New Game sequence, and now the game lets me import my PoE1 endgame history into PoE2!

iMac running High Sierra

PoE1 from Mac App Store

PoE2 from GOG

I'm having the exact same problem, but your fix didn't work for me. Is there any official fix to this?