Amazing game so far, well done Obsidian

About 5 hours in so far and wow, what a great game! Nearly everything is improved from the first game for me and I love the new stuff like the ship stuff and what not. Taking lots of screenshots, finding so many things improved, from the combat, to the writing (even early on in the first 4 or 5 hours), to the better performance and how I can really get in there and customize the ai of my party if I want to. Not to mention it looks gorgeous and the soundtrack is good so far, other than wanting more portraits (I downloaded a bunch extras so it isn't a huge deal) for my character during creation I am enjoying everything else the game brings to the table.

About to eat some dinner and hop back on, thanks for the wonderful game, it really has been a joy to play and explore so far, keep up the good work Josh and Company! :bow:

How is everyone's adventures going? What classes is everyone rocking? What has impressed you the most so far? Things you didn't like or want improved?

• Like 12

I'm sadly resigned to waiting for the patch next week because of import woes... that or I might play through the first part of the game with a secondary character and try to earn enough achievement points by next week to get the +attribute Berath's Blessing for my real playthrough. I worry that'll ruin the experience of playing the game fresh, though.

• Like 2

I'm three hours in and loving it so far. Taking a break for eating sadly but I'll be back in soon enough. Agreed it's well done. Character models, quality of life features, animations, just the feel and smoothness of the overall game. Fantastic!

I can't say I've seen anything yet that I want improved as I'm still very early but I'm very impressed overall. Also I already adore Xoti, her voice over is great.

After a bit of thought I would say they should make it clearer how skill points work on level ups. I think I know but I still don't. At the bottom it says pick one/one as in active and passive but sometimes I can only choose actives... it's just very strange to me. 

Edited by Vyrulisse
  • Like 3

I think you mean:

Gellarde. A magnificent game in the old style. They don't make them like this anymore. Not close to the sea anyhow. Too vulnerable to cannon fire.

• Like 5

I really like it a lot more then I did the first Pillars of Eternity.

I would still be playing Deadfire, but I had to head to bed.

I been playing it since 2 pm and it's close to 11:30 pm now.

Edited by wolfrider100
  • Like 3

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

Pulled an allnighter, and now I need to jump in the shower and go to work. That should tell you something :p

That said, not sure I like the spell selection, like priests needing to choose individual spells, which means they have way fewer than normal. I'm bound to make choices that are not great. The game itself has played very well though, some minor hickups here and there for sure, but nothing major (so far).

My by far biggest gripe with POE1 were the loading screens. I noticed it still takes a few seconds between areas, but hopefully this won't increase something wicked by the mid and end game. Here's hoping...

• Like 1

Pulled an allnighter, and now I need to jump in the shower and go to work. That should tell you something :p

You dirty dog you!!!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The game is absolutely fantastic.

The visuals, the narrative, the characters, the relationships system, the classes, etc. Deadfire improves on PoE1 on basically all accounts, while still retaining everything that was good in it. For me, it's really the BG2 over BG1 experience I was hoping for. Never been so happy to have backed a game before. 

• Like 3

I had 40 mins to play this morning before work dammit, just enough time to make my character. 8 hours to suffer at work now...! I wasn't even planning on buying it on launch but I caved.. I CAVED!

• Like 2

nowt

I've played for 6 hours, well into the night here, and so far everything has been absolutely amazing: the graphics, the music, the ambient sounds, the atmosphere (just the right balance between pirate-y adventure and sombre stuff), the scripted interactions, the voice-acting (unlike a few others, I really like the narrator), the challenge (Heh, I started on PotD - it's gimped I know, but my goal is to clear the game only using my pre-programmed AI settings, so it will be pretty tough, but fun. I experimented a lot with it during the beta.)

Now, it's morning, and I plan to get back to it soon again.

It was hilarious with the naked Eothas stature, flashing his 30m ass in the light of the lighting storms flashing in the night - now that's a tongue twister!

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

100% agree only a hour or so in but

- Beautiful character models

- Gorgeous and dynamic areas

- Voice acting is top notch

- A very organic, un-obtrustive UI

- Veritable cornucopia of dialogue options

- Visually simplified skill selection on level up

Absolutely no negatives so far and I can't wait to finish work and get back on it.

• Like 2

I have to say i liked PoE 1 and wanted to love it  but never actually managed to finish it because it got kind of boring about 2/3 through.

I don't know if it will be the same with Deadfire but until now im absolutely blown away. The voice acting, the atmospheric graphics, the story (much better pacing and motivating until now) and above all the new class systems and combat. Everything is so much smoother. It's much more motivating to fidle with your class build and not oh i just got all spells for that level and don't know what 3/4 of them do nor will i ever use them. Also the combat is really improved. It feels much more impactful and direct without loosing the tacical side of it.

• Like 2

^^ Could never understand why people were so opposed to full voice acting. I'm loving it so far, and the "narrator" is doing a fantastic job. Sure, there are many times I'm reading faster than the voice acting and the whole thing gets a little muddled and I need to re-read it. But then there are other times where I just sit back and delve into the atmosphere and let the voices guide me. It was a really good move.

Most other things have been very good so far as well. The one thing that is a little frustrating is the lag when moving items around in the Inventory screen. There is a slight lag, and the item is further to the side than one might expect. I'm on a 770 GTX, so it's probably good enough. Everything else is smooth.

Naturally I'm not terribly far into the game yet with "just" an allnighter, heh, but everything I've seen so far looks really well-done. Impressive light effects, smoother movements, better hair and suchlike, less messing about and getting yourself blown up when disarming traps. And a big one is a better combat system (early days, but I like it so far). Also looks like there is less trash mobs encounters, though it's too early to tell much for certain here.

About combat, it does feel pretty odd and kind of cheesy (if you get my meaning) with health fully restoring after combat. As long as you don't get injuries, seems like you can just keep going and going and going.

Great game so far so really well done Obsidian! Now when I'm back from work and have wolfed down an ice-cream, time to fire up the game! :) Why stick with an allnighter when you can go 36-ish hours instead, haha! :wub: