Hello guys,

trying to decide (again) on how to develop a paladin... I only like paladins and fighters, the other classes I don't like 'em for the watcher.

I want something such as dual hatchet paladin with lots of attack rate and high damage rate.

I have hearth of harvest and dawn in spring dagger right now, I was thinking on hatchets because have fast attack rate and also, have +5 deflection bonus. what other axe could I use? I was also thinking on what abilities should I use? armor, everything.

what stats should I use? I have a human because of the strength and resolve bonus, have an explorer just for the +1 survival and Lore bonus, bleak walker for the "remember Rakhan field, what abilities could I get including quest abilities. I like to heal myself and companions a lot and also, want to have good defense, not great but good.

some help on this?

Hatchets are not too great, Heath Harvest best you can get for a long time. Spears are also WF Peasant weapons so you could have something like Cladhaliath as well.

WF Noble probably a better choice for daggers and rapiers, you can get some nice speed weapons such as March Steel Dagger or Sword of Daenysis. The +10 deflection from two hatchets is not a big deal from Act 2 onwards though it is strong in Act 1 where you won’t have many great weapons anyway.

I was thinking on the captain viccilo's hatchet + heart of harvest, I am level 13 on the second act, currently completing the quests of white march one, I haven't completed any of the main quests of act 2 so I think that I can still get a lot from the game... with the dawn in spring dagger I get a stupidly high accuracy bonus even being on savage attack mode.

what are the best abilities/talents for a build with the paladin?

Light weapons + Flames of Devotion is a suboptimal pick.

For FoD you want hard hitting weapons since the use is limited to 2/encounter.

So either go for dual heavy one handed weapons (battle axes, mace, war hammer, spear, sword, sabre) or two handed or arquebus.

With two handers I would also add Runner's Wounding Shot as well. It's as good as FoD then and can add a good third per-encounter attack to your portfolio.

One of the best picks for FoD- and Runner's WS damage is Firebrand (Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer, Forgemaster Gloves). And the belt is awesome per se.

You can still use light weapons like hatchets for your auto-attacks once you used FoD. Simply equip dual spears for FoD and dual hatchets for auto-attacks and switch accordingly.

Also Novice's Suffering is not bad with a paladin who has very high MIG. The high flat damage bonus works well with FoD and also for auto-attacks. You can use Two Weapon Style and skip all dmg mods like Savage Attack and use you talents for Intense Flames and Scion of Flame instead.

Of course: an unarmed paladin might not be everyone's taste. :)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Light weapons + Flames of Devotion is a suboptimal pick.

For FoD you want hard hitting weapons since the use is limited to 2/encounter.

So either go for dual heavy one handed weapons (battle axes, mace, war hammer, spear, sword, sabre) or two handed or arquebus.

With two handers I would also add Runner's Wounding Shot as well. It's as good as FoD then and can add a good third per-encounter attack to your portfolio.

One of the best picks for FoD- and Runner's WS damage is Firebrand (Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer, Forgemaster Gloves). And the belt is awesome per se.

You can still use light weapons like hatchets for your auto-attacks once you used FoD. Simply equip dual spears for FoD and dual hatchets for auto-attacks and switch accordingly.

Also Novice's Suffering is not bad with a paladin who has very high MIG. The high flat damage bonus works well with FoD and also for auto-attacks. You can use Two Weapon Style and skip all dmg mods like Savage Attack and use you talents for Intense Flames and Scion of Flame instead.

Of course: an unarmed paladin might not be everyone's taste. :)

Would that unarmed paladin be as high damage as a monk? I mean, Zahua deals high max 35 with a super high attack rate. So, would you recommend to use firebrand for the flames of devotion and then my hatchet and dagger for killing other monsters and kith? I got heart of harvest for +5 deflection, I improved it to superb +12 accuracy and it has 3DR penetration. I have cautious attack + savage attack + dual weapon style, I wanted to get weapon focus: peasant for more accuracy and eliminate the dawn on spring dagger to get the accuracy bonus on other hatchet or better a spear such as Ritezzi's Thorn... I don't know because swords are not really good, I used to have silver crow battle axe which wasn't that slow but not that good, I was thinking about a war hammer but never been my style.

I was thinking on a one handed spear Ritezzi's Thorn but I don't know, I mistakenly soulbounded the The Grey Sleeper to my watcher so I must use it... It has a great DR penetration... I gave the blade of the endless path to pallegina so she uses it when I need her to be aggressive along with firebrand, she uses shame of glory and exceptional large shield for defending and supporting others... Eder has a sabre with fireball which helps a lot when a high amount of enemies, I also watcher has belt of deadfire cannoneer for the fire attach and also sacred immolation which deals 23 damage per second... I don't know if that's good?

A paladin can never reach the damage output of a monk. But a monk can't support the party.

Sacred Immolation is very good.

Don't ditch Drawn in Spring. It's the weapon with the highest dps in the game.

It's just not optimal for FoD.

What you always want to do is to put a lash on your weapon. If you took Scion of Flame it should be burning lashes.

Cautious Attack is a bad pick in my opinion. It hurts your offense quite a lot but doesn't improve your defense that much. It's ok if you are a full tank, but as a dual wielder I wouldn't use it.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

A paladin can never reach the damage output of a monk. But a monk can't support the party.

Sacred Immolation is very good.

Don't ditch Drawn in Spring. It's the weapon with the highest dps in the game.

It's just not optimal for FoD.

What you always want to do is to put a lash on your weapon. If you took Scion of Flame it should be burning lashes.

Cautious Attack is a bad pick in my opinion. It hurts your offense quite a lot but doesn't improve your defense that much. It's ok if you are a full tank, but as a dual wielder I wouldn't use it.

Are you sure about the cautious attack? I thought that it would be a good idea because of the increase of critical rate, 2 weapon style should just suppress the 20% slowness.. but I don't know. perhaps having a higher reflex level would help with the attack and recovery rate?

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same talent...?

you're right, I got confused and I added it thinking that it would be great for my offense, but now that I realize. it was a bad idea, I will remove it from the paladin and from Zahua which already have it. thank you! Instead I'll put scion of flame

Edited by AramJese

I think that I got confused with vulnerable attack but I don't remember well, I'm currently at work so I will check when I arrive my place. the next time I start a PoE adventure I'll use a fighter

Bleak walker paladin with dual bittercuts both with corrosive lash and spirit of decay is pretty cool. I don't find paladin's very fun to play but there is one build which Boeroer made which is pretty cool where you use a wood elf paladin and Munacra Arret then use sworn enemy and then charm them for a ridiculously long time. 

Thanks. :)

I think paladins with Firebrand are a lot of fun. Great spike damage with FoD +Runner's Wounding Shot and good party support.

Runners wounding shot is actually really good, I never bothered with it until you started suggesting it on the forums and it is definately worth it for hard hitting weapons. What is using tidefall with goldpact knight to apply the dot with FoD then use runners wounding shot and envenomed strike. All the stacking dots are awesome numbers flying up like crazy.

Yes. Tidefall + Runner's and Envenomed Strike is fun. Also used that on a Priest of Berath and combined it with Cleansing Flame for the doubling of ticks. :)

a question guys, I have heard that if I go alone I would have more experience from the quests, is that correct? if so, will that change if I use tavern companions?

Two weapons go great with Kind Wayfarer subclass. 2 white flame effects as long as they both hit. However, I would multiclass into another offensive class, as there arent enough paladin abilities that require accuracy to make it a viable pure subclass.

I was thinking on the Unlabored blade + Hearth of harvest or perhaps Captain Viccilio's Anger for main damage per second + firebrand for flames of devotion since I have intense flames, remember rakhan field and scion of flame.