73hr review: Deadfire good, not nearly as great as PoE1

Where the original title was a triumphant return to Infinity Engine-style cRPGs, there are many moments when Pillars Of Eternity II: Deadfire feels like it’s just going through the motions. It’s a better looking beast, with more voice acting done by a band of actors who’re able to infuse life into the different characters. Small but helpful additions to combat, alongside factions led by charming pirates and dutiful military men do call for pushing their quest lines further. But the moments when the game truly shines are few. A lot of the explorable islands feature almost identical encounters and naval battles fail to impress due to repetition and messy boarding engagements. The main quest starts promisingly, only to end in disappointment because of its brevity, while the difficulty of level-appropriate fights leans too much towards the easier end, sucking any semblance of challenge out of most of them. For all the times I stopped to look at beautiful architecture, outwitted a foe with a clever remark, or pondered upon an NPCs life views, I was ultimately left with the feeling of having played an adventure which, while sprawling and donning the intricate cloth that’s expected of it, burns like a lukewarm flame, dwarfed by the one that came before it.

Read more here, super in-depth:

http://www.noobfeed.com/reviews/1446/pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-pc-review

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Why not put this in the reviews thread?

Crap lol Just now seen it :/

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

The first 5-6 hours have been more enjoyable for me when compared to the first 5-6 hours of POE1. Nearly every aspect has been improved, which I wasn't expecting.

Edited by kozzy
  • Like 6

Where the original title was a triumphant return to Infinity Engine-style cRPGs, there are many moments when Pillars Of Eternity II: Deadfire feels like it’s just going through the motions. It’s a better looking beast, with more voice acting done by a band of actors who’re able to infuse life into the different characters. Small but helpful additions to combat, alongside factions led by charming pirates and dutiful military men do call for pushing their quest lines further. But the moments when the game truly shines are few. A lot of the explorable islands feature almost identical encounters and naval battles fail to impress due to repetition and messy boarding engagements. The main quest starts promisingly, only to end in disappointment because of its brevity, while the difficulty of level-appropriate fights leans too much towards the easier end, sucking any semblance of challenge out of most of them. For all the times I stopped to look at beautiful architecture, outwitted a foe with a clever remark, or pondered upon an NPCs life views, I was ultimately left with the feeling of having played an adventure which, while sprawling and donning the intricate cloth that’s expected of it, burns like a lukewarm flame, dwarfed by the one that came before it.

Read more here, super in-depth:

http://www.noobfeed.com/reviews/1446/pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-pc-review

What difficulty were you playing on, Normal?  I read that both Normal and Hard (prior to the month delay) seemed a bit too easy, yet that extra month was supposed to be for both bug fixes and giving priority to balancing the difficulties below PoTD.

What difficulty were you playing on, Normal? I read that both Normal and Hard (prior to the month delay) seemed a bit too easy, yet that extra month was supposed to be for both bug fixes and giving priority to balancing the difficulties below PoTD.

It's not my review, sorry for any confusion. I'm pretty sure the author is just playing on the normal difficulty.

From what I gather, Obsidian tried their best to iron out the bugs but it now has more bugs than before. Sad but hopefully this gets resolved soon.

Here's my 0-hour review:

I don't trust most reviewers.

Typically I don't either but since this is a game I've invested in and the guy actually knows what he's talking about, I found it pretty insightful.

Edit: It also helps that he doesn't seem too biased, well not enough to leave out the cons anyway :)

Edit 2: This is a positive Steam review by the way... (so nobody thinks this is negative review.)

Edited by SonicMage117

Here's my 0-hour review:

Typically I don't either but since this is a game I've invested in and the guy actually knows what he's talking about, I found it pretty insightful.

Edit: It also helps that he doesn't seem too biased, well not enough to leave out the cons anyway :)

Edit 2: This is a positive Steam review by the way... (so nobody thinks this is negative review.)

That's my point, I don't think he does know what he's talking about

• Like 1

Here's my 0-hour review:

That's my point, I don't think he does know what he's talking about

I'm guessing you didn't read the review then?

If you did, what part gave you the impression that he doesn't know what he's talking about? I'm just genuinely curious.

Here's my 0-hour review:

If you did, what part gave you the impression that he doesn't know what he's talking about? I'm just genuinely curious.

Flowery, poetic words do not a good review make.

• Like 2

I see, but to be fair, there isn't really a difference between his fanboying and the fanboying we usually see here. His logged hours and achievements are a testement though, at least, if that means anything :)

Here's my 0-hour review:

It's a much more considered, thoughtful piece than your posts in this thread. Just because you don't like what the reviewer's saying, that doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Here's my 0-hour review:

It's a much more considered, thoughtful piece than your posts in this thread. Just because you don't like what the reviewer's saying, that doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Strange, I wasn't aware I'd made a review in this thread, oh well.

There's nothing considered or thoughtful about what the reviewer wrote.

Here's my 0-hour review:

Where did I say that you wrote a review? Merely pointed out that your posts are devoid of any reasoning or content. You can prove me wrong by elaborating on why you think it’s a bad review.

A review is one person's subjective opinion about a game. It can't be wrong or right in an objective sense.

The things a reviewer dislikes can be the very things I enjoy in a game.

If you are on the fence about this game, read several reviews (both professional and non-professional) and weigh them together to get a feel for the game.

• Like 2

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Here's my 0-hour review:

Where did I say that you wrote a review? Merely pointed out that your posts are devoid of any reasoning or content. You can prove me wrong by elaborating on why you think it’s a bad review.

Already did.

SPOILER ALERT!

Sonic (while not a horrible bad person) has been guilty of posting more pre release negative stuff than every other forum user combined, and loves clickbaity titles.  It has been clear for a long time for some reason he is predisposed to not liking Deadfire.  So him scouring the internet to find the one guy who didn't like the game is not exactly shocking, nor is his making it a single post instead of adding it to the reviews thread where it would be surrounded by tons of positive.

My point?  Take this review, and the thread, with a huge grain of salt.

Also just having read this review partially, I can already tell it is average at best.  Too long, wayyyyyy too many words, heavy focus on what they did not like, basically skips or ignores any positives.  The name of the site doesn't help much.  Long story short, if a review only takes one tone, it probably isn't well written, and is likely highly biased. 

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 3

Actually I haven't, I mean... I've been critical yes, but always with good reason. Naturally optimists never agree with me but that's okay. I was right about the buggy launch and the voice acting though. My past threads have questioned things such as development but seems I was right to question now that final release is through.

Onwards and upwards,

This review is actually a positive review if you read it, the person loves the game - pointing out the flaws doesn't always mean the person doesn't like it, but it's always going to be hard for a community such as the Obsidian community to accept as being honest with flaws can possibly prevent someone else from buying the game I suppose.

Anyway, one person found the review hopeful so this posting wasn't in vain :)

Edited by SonicMage117

A review is one person's subjective opinion about a game. It can't be wrong or right in an objective sense.

Don't be ridiculous, of course it can. If a 'subjective opinion' is based on inaccurate information or flawed conclusions it is entirely wrong.

• Like 1