[bug] Unable to attack neutral merchants

Veevoir

Question

Howdy,

Just got out of tutorial island, did a first resupply at Port Maje and wanted to do some ship combat.

While clisking on merchant vessel that are unaffiliated two things happen:

(1) When dialogue window shows up the game does not pause - therefore often they swim out of range and close the window before selecting any option.
(2) Selecting "Attack" does nothing. The merchants sails away and the only thing that happens is combat music starting. After 2-3 tries with the same boat I was unable to get the dialogue screen anymore, also unable to do other encounters at sea. Reloading save helped.

Unable to attach save (not permitted to upload this kind of file)

Edited by Veevoir

14 answers to this question

Hey Veevoir!

Thanks for the post. Just for clarification, was this something that once you reloaded resolved the issue? Or are you never able to attack the merchant ships? I know the saves aren't uploaded well on the site, but if you can zip them up or use a external cloud save feature it would help us assess this issue.

Thanks!

-Caleb

I like big bugs and I cannot lie...

Hey Veevoir!

Thanks for the post. Just for clarification, was this something that once you reloaded resolved the issue? Or are you never able to attack the merchant ships? I know the saves aren't uploaded well on the site, but if you can zip them up or use a external cloud save feature it would help us assess this issue.

Thanks!

-Caleb

Hey Caleb,

I've just encountered this same bug too -- also around Port Maje, these were the steps immediately before encountering the bug:

- Explored and named the island north of Port Maje, unlocked the achievement "Making a Mark" (or something like that) for the first Island I named

- Sailed to Port Maje to resupply

- Left Port Maje, attacked the nearest neutral trader, but except for the combat music starting, nothing happened.

- Opened dialogue with same neutral trader again, option 1, show me your wares, works fine, but option 2, Attack, still only closes the dialogue window, starts combat music, nothing else.

Going back to main menu and reloading the save did not resolve this.

I will now try if restarting the game entire will help.

Edit: Restarting the game completely also did not resolve this bug!

Second Edit: Attacking another, different neutral trader ship resolved the bug completely apparently, that attack worked and the next one on yet another neutral trader as well!

Third Edit: The initial bugged ship remains bugged even after several other naval battles and foot missions/visits to Neketaka -- having found that one last remaining Deadfire Merchant Sloop again, the bug still persists in the exaxt same way: battle music starts, nothing else happens.

Edited by Homer Morisson

Hello there!

The bug still persists for me, which is infurating as it seems to be the last deadfire merchant left on the map. I'm not sure if it is intentional that you can "run out of" them. I tried everything, reloading, restarting (I even started a new game, bug is still there). 

• Like 1

Hello there!

The bug still persists for me, which is infurating as it seems to be the last deadfire merchant left on the map. I'm not sure if it is intentional that you can "run out of" them. I tried everything, reloading, restarting (I even started a new game, bug is still there). 

Can confirm!

Currently, I see only one neutral Deadfire Merchant Ship left on the map, and that's the one I cannot attack with the persistent bug as described in my post above.

Hello there!

Hello there!

Can confirm!

Currently, I see only one neutral Deadfire Merchant Ship left on the map, and that's the one I cannot attack with the persistent bug as described in my post above.

Well, it won't be solved by us reporting, until there is a patch. For now Caleb let us know they can reproduce the bug which is the most important step to actually fixing it ;)

Edited by Veevoir

The more detail they get, the better for figuring out what might have caused it -- being able to reproduce it and understanding exactly the cause are two entirely different things; so it's not our feedback and reports that are non-productive, it's your commenting on them that serves no purpose.

Edited by Homer Morisson

I've run into this multiple times. One addition to what's mentioned here is that you can win the battle even if there is no battle taking place. I attacked a merchant ship and it didn't work. Combat music started like mentioned here and all that.

After that I landed on Port Maje and got into a fight with a Wisp (about 45 minutes later) at the ruins and guess what? The naval combat resolved itself! (Screenshots attached)

I guess the game assumed I boarded? It was the first fight after failed attack at sea and I did not reload in between the fights...

post-47735-0-29421300-1526151399_thumb.jpg

post-47735-0-55490400-1526151404_thumb.jpg