[Framerate] General Framerate Problems.

hamskii

Question

Ya I have been trying all day and cannot fix this.  I have tried all of the above suggestions.  It is not that its unplayable but it is annoying.

Have gun will travel.

I have the same problem I end the game today but I expend at least 10 hours trying to enter to Queen's Berath in Neketaka, the game always crash in that zone for me (I don't have the best PC), the rest of the maps and zones I can enter without problems (that included all the rest Neketaka sites). I hope this get fix, the FPS after the last patch are worst.

Queen's Berath in Neketaka ... the game always crash in that zone for me (I don't have the best PC)

The game requires at least 8 gigs of RAM for a crash-free experience. However, there's no way to avoid frame rate issues and performance degradation over time. I usually restart the game every hour or so.

• Like 2

Ya what gets me the most is the stutter.   I have GREAT performance but get hitches.  That drives me nuts.  Every once in a while I just get a hiccup for no apparent reason.  I have tried everything suggested on the forums and nothing works, some rooms like the Water Dragon room are much worse.  POE 1 Did this as well but not in combat, just when you ran around.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Getting similar very poor FPS issues.

Current set up is:

• Geforce GTX 1080 TI AORUS Xtreme,

• 16 GB G.Skill DDR4 Ram at 3.198 MHZ,

• Intel Core i7 6700K Processor

• MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON motherboard

• Installed on a 512 GB INTEL SSD

• I'm running it at 2560*1440 on a ASUS PG278Q 27 inch Monitor

I've decided to edit my entire previous comment to add more information and try to provide some useful info:

It seems impossible for me to keep the game running "lag-free" because it will always be running with around 40fps and you can clearly see the stuttering. 

What I've tried so far:

• updating mobo and gpu drivers
  • rolling back gpu drivers to a couple older ones
  • lowring settings ingame and fullscreen/windowed
  • changing settings in nvidia control panel, specially making sure "Prefer Maximum Performance" is checked
  • turning off steam overlay and telemetry
  • forcing window mode and dx11 on steam launch options
  • raising priority of the pillars.exe in the task manager
  • running game as administrator
  • disabling fullscreen optimization

Out of curiosity I redownloaded PoE1, loaded an old save and to my surprise I was getting pretty low fps as well (around 60). I have over 200hrs in PoE1 and it always ran with 100+ fps. This clearly makes me think there is something fishy with the game engine.

Some observations during the tests:

• GPU was barely being used, clocking only 1600mhz (other games usually clocks 2100mhz) and temperature sitting at 40 degrees
  • CPU was barely being used as well, only about 30% load and temperatures between 35-40 degrees
  • Performance was better before 1.0.2 patch (is there a way to rollback?)

My specs:

• I7 4790 @ 3.6mhz
  • Asrock z97 extreme4
  • 16GB Ram
  • Gtx 1070 (397.64)
  • PSU 1000w
  • Windows 10 64bit (last updates)
  • Game running on an Evo850 SSD
  • Resolution: 1920x1080

Something needs to be done fast by the devs  :( I believe I am not the only one considering putting the game aside while it is still in "beta" and come back much later when the game is finished to avoid spoiling the experience.

Edited by dambros

I'm getting 15FPS with a 1080 running at 1080p, and I'm wondering where all that performance is going because the game is not exactly cutting edge. I'm playing all my other games at 144fps. I can't believe Obsidian released the game in this state. From the start of the Beta to the end of the Beta the performance got worse, and even that wasn't as bad as this.

• Like 1

I am pretty frustrated as well, Nekataka (qQueen’s Berth) is nearly unplayable with less than 20 fps. Indoors it gets a bit better, but nobody with a 1060 or superior should sit below 100 fps in a game like this...

Unfortunately there wasn’t a single official word about this anywhere I could find. Guess it is time to look for something else that resembles PoE, maybe it’s BG time.

This needs to be addressed by a hotix. "Early June" is not a good target for a critical issue introduced by a patch, especially given that Obsidian hasn't even acknowledged the problem yet.

I was talking to a QA person through private message and they did confirm the issue.

Have gun will travel.

Guys, a user contacted me via private messages and ask me to use GPU-Z to check your "Bus Interface"

https://imgur.com/kJqBKnm

Mine shows PCIe x16 3.0 @x1 3.0 in one slot, when i swapped to my other to showed as x8

putting it in my other slot with the x8 changed my FPS from 30 to 130 in the tavern. For everyone else here could you please post a picture of GPU-Z?

Guys, a user contacted me via private messages and ask me to use GPU-Z to check your "Bus Interface"

Mine shows PCIe x16 3.0 @x1 3.0 in one slot, when i swapped to my other to showed as x8

putting it in my other slot with the x8 changed my FPS from 30 to 130 in the tavern. For everyone else here could you please post a picture of GPU-Z?

Restarting the game fixes the frame rate problems (temporarily) on its own. For example, if I go to the Sacred Stair after playing the game for an hour or two, the area runs at 30 FPS or lower - but if I save and restart the game, the same area (with the same weather conditions) runs at 60. This smooth performance persists until I start exploring and getting into combat.

This doesn't make much sense. If you check the ? symbol next to the Bus Interface it will say that for most modern gpus the clock will not reach it's maximum unless over load. Also click it, will display an option to put  some load on the gpu and then the value will probably show "x16" instead of "x1".

My mobo for instance has 3 slots with the same speed (x16) and I believe most mobos nowadays have this as well, x8 or x4 usually as only used for dual sli/triple sli, so the single slot should reach 16x.

This doesn't make much sense. If you check the ? symbol next to the Bus Interface it will say that for most modern gpus the clock will not reach it's maximum unless over load. Also click it, will display an option to put  some load on the gpu and then the value will probably show "x16" instead of "x1".

My mobo for instance has 3 slots with the same speed (x16) and I believe most mobos nowadays have this as well, x8 or x4 usually as only used for dual sli/triple sli, so the single slot should reach 16x.

Correct.  With GPU-Z and the game running I am in the correct slot of x16 3.0.  If you do not play and there is less stress on the GPU mine stays at x16 1.1.   So I am in the right PCI slot.   My performance is VERY good, I do not get low FPS in Queens Birth etc (well I do not get 60 but it stays in the 40-50 range until the memory leak) I just get random micro stutter.  The worst.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

The problem with the wildly fluctuating framerate is, of course, with Unity as already pointed out.  As we've all seen, it's worst when you're near certain objects that emit a light source -- specifically ones that can generate multiple shadows.

In PoE 1, the worst offenders were these same types of areas.  One in particular that I used as a framerate benchmark was the central firepit in The Gref's Rest in Stalwart Village.  It was a consistently accurate location to point out the worst of what that version of Unity's main performance problem was.

Critically, the only thing I ever found that significantly improved the problem was to force the game to render in OpenGL with the -force-opengl argument in PoE 1's launch options in Steam.  I also experimented with -force-vulkan which also helped.

Unfortunately, these two options simply don't work in PoE 2.  Unity 5.2/5.3 certainly supports them, but Obsidian seems to have removed Vulkan and OpenGL support in their modified version.  I think if that option were (re)integrated, it could help a lot.

• Like 1

• go to Tikawara - sunny weather - 60 FPS
  • leave Tikawara to board an enemy ship (bounty)
  • engage in a huge battle with nearly 20 characters
  • return to Tikawara - sunny weather - less than 30 FPS 
  • save the game - exit - start the game again - reload the save (same location, same weather) - 60 FPS

Unity.  :banghead:

• Like 1

Greetings, fellow Watchers! I just picked up Deadfire on Steam summer sale, was really looking forward to playing it (big fan of original POE), but didn't get too far. I don't have the best PC, but the game worked pretty ok on medium settings. Until I reached Neketaka. In Neketaka it went from slightly slow to pretty much unplayable even on minimum settings. I tried pretty much everything listed here and in Steam discussions, all it did was make it a liiiiitle bit better. But I still get freezing and stutters ever few seconds, and the starting cut-scene in Neketaka was almost a slide show. Also, while in Neketaka, I get severe freezing when trying to bring up a map of the location, takes about a minute and once crashed my PC entirely.

Have there been any news? I really didn't expects problems like this from POE2, since POE1 used to run very smoothly on my very same PC.