No name, race or background choice retained after POE1 save import

Hi ! It would be nice if the import retains your name, race and background, after importing one POE 1 save (Rogue, Hearth Orlan, Aedyr - Dissident), i was disappointed (I guess it's not a bug) to see displayed a generic male human and that I had to select (and remember) the name and background of my POE 1 character. I had to re-install POE 1 to check what I chose.

• Like 2

I find this quite strange as well - in previous cRPGs with import options, you'd always get to keep your basic character class and background. I'd like for this to atleast be an option (though being allowed to keep the background and chose a new character can be interesting).

It's been known for a while now, that the savegame import would only be importing decisions you've made in the game.

As a bonus, this means you can use the same savegame for multiple playthroughs with different classes ;)

My guess is that this is due to changes to the classes, Racial bonuses, attribute bonuses, and skill system. If you made your choices from a power gaming instead of role playing perspective, it would be awfully annoying to have to choose between a potentially sub-optimal character or forgoing an import.

Edited by HoopleDoople

If I remember they explained it that the game changed so much (visually and gameplaywise) that it made little sense to try to match previous character. They will look and play differently no matter what. You might want to redistribute stats differently.

In the end they went with full character creation. I dislike it a bit as well (do we continue the same character or not?), but it's alright. I will remake my character tomorrow once game downloads.

I can see the logic in that @HoopleDoople - there are quite a few differences between the two games. Still, it feels very strange to important the savegame of a wild orlan Shieldbearer of St. Elcga, but play as an elven Ranger instead, for example. For people looking for true continuity, this means loading up their PoE I save and checking their exact stats and appearance in as much detail as possible. The option of a "true import" to skip all that would've been nice.

This is ideal actually, as story-wise, whatever registers from PoE1 can still be transferred, while allowing you to multi-class, change class, add extra features that werent in the original.

In fact it would be quite frustrating having to choose between having all these new toys to play with, or continuing your save game story.

This way its the best of both worlds.

"If you would, you could become all flame" - Abba Joseph of the Desert Fathers.

Shame decision transference is broken.

Such as? Not denying it, just havent played enough to see any, only trying it this morning before heading to work.

Such as? Not denying it, just havent played enough to see any, only trying it this morning before heading to work.

Vella and Eder a broken in saves from PoE1. And gods only know what else is  broken letter in the game.

Two known ones - there's an issue with the stolen baby not transferring if you stole it but didn't finish the quest in PoE1 & Eder seems to always end up Eothasian even if he became mayor instead.

Edited by falchen

Two known ones - you only get the O

Two known ones - there's an issue with the stolen baby not transferring if you stole it but didn't finish the quest in PoE1 & Eder seems to always end up Eothasian even if he became mayor instead.

https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/8hjtcm/anyone_else_accidentally_bring_the_baby_in_im/dylxow5/
  • Like 1

So i suppose pre order is basically a scum then, Cause i still can't play in broken save game. Well i can and be force 2 restart anyway. Good 2 know. This company getting worse and worse

Don't remember the last time a game released bug free, it's not a "this company" thing, but just how things nowadays are in general.

So i suppose pre order is basically a scum then, Cause i still can't play in broken save game. Well i can and be force 2 restart anyway. Good 2 know. This company getting worse and worse

Don't remember the last time a game released bug free, it's not a "this company" thing, but just how things nowadays are in general.

Bug free is  a bit different from  not  releasing a game which will be unplayable for some players and knowing it. Good one them for taking my money and ruining 2 days at least. Ye and don't expect me 2 actually bother 2 argue with funboys. Also nice 2 know major bugs a now apparently normal. Awful

I've been in touch with Mikey and the crew and theyre definitely on the ball with patch related stuff at the moment.  Tue next week is confirmed for some big bug fixes. 

Credit to them

Bug free is  a bit different from  not  releasing a game which will be unplayable for some players and knowing it. Good one them for taking my money and ruining 2 days at least. Ye and don't expect me 2 actually bother 2 argue with funboys. Also nice 2 know major bugs a now apparently normal. Awful

Walking stereotype right here. I'm know this is a trying event in your life Dopsim, just ignore the funboys and keep posting, we understand how truly difficult this bug is making your life.

Credit to them?

I've been in touch with Mikey and the crew and theyre definitely on the ball with patch related stuff at the moment.  Tue next week is confirmed for some big bug fixes. 

Credit to them

Credit for knowingly releasing broken game and only fixing it week letter, ye. What a goddamn joke. It will be some credit if they moved the  release or officially posted a news on steam before this one. But i suppose for them taking money is more important when people time and good will. But ye i know i samoning Obsidian Defence brigade who will defend literally every developed action
Well i suppose its not you who got ****ed by this so you don't care. Nice 

For what it's worth, some Pillars I characters literally would not work properly in Pillars II, and would have to be rerolled anyways. As an example, my character from Pillars 1 was a Paladin from the Sheildbearers of St Elcga that favored Greatswords, and they would get no value from the order passive in Pillars II. This would also prevent any imported characters from Multiclassing.

I don'y know you personally, you're probably a nice person, just coming off as a sook.

The game is definitely far from being broken and unplayable.  Every game comes out with initially bugs and issues and this is no different.  It's a given on day 1 for the vast majority of games.

You assume it hasn't affected me, like my custom watercolour portrait not being right or my name not appearing in the gold backer tier credits yet.

They got back to me and said all bugs they know of will be fixed soon, including these small items now.  Just be patient.  I know its hard for all of us but its not that bad

I understand Obsidian could not import one's character as is, but they could (and still can) use the name, gender, class and background from a save file as a default, that can be changed at character creation.

Bug free is a bit different from not releasing a game which will be unplayable for some players and knowing it. Good one them for taking my money and ruining 2 days at least. Ye and don't expect me 2 actually bother 2 argue with funboys. Also nice 2 know major bugs a now apparently normal. Awful

Your argument would hold more water if your grammar was better. It's ironic that you are complaining about a game company's quality control and you can't be bothered to make a legible post.