With mine, Eder wasn't even in the chair when you wake up. I don't recall any particular weird ending from the POE1 game I imported, so it's a very strange bug.

if he's not there to greet you then he died in your poe save

I think he's saying Eder was alive at the end of PoE1 ... more likely this is yet another bug regarding Eder's save game state. The patch notes don't address this specific instance but we know Eder is not importing with the correct endgame state so I wouldn't be surprised

Unfortunately this means that even if it's patched out soon, the fix would not be retroactive. Might have to keep restarting until it works correctly or else wait for a patch which addresses this (probably the next one)

With mine, Eder wasn't even in the chair when you wake up. I don't recall any particular weird ending from the POE1 game I imported, so it's a very strange bug.

if he's not there to greet you then he died in your poe save

Yeah that's what I assumed, but wasn't sure of.  Eder is definitely alive, just not in the party because it was a solo run. They might have to expand their testing for that situation.

Anyway, I tested with a different, solo import from POE1 and I can confirm there's no Eder. The game knows this, and transfers his dialogue to the Steward. He is definitely not on the boat and not in the fight or killed in it. I don't know where he is, but I've played half the game with the other save and I still haven't seen him anywhere yet.

Anyway, I tested with a different, solo import from POE1 and I can confirm there's no Eder. The game knows this, and transfers his dialogue to the Steward. He is definitely not on the boat and not in the fight or killed in it. I don't know where he is, but I've played half the game with the other save and I still haven't seen him anywhere yet.

For some reason or other he's registering as dead in the saves you're importing. If he's not dead in your saves then that's a bug.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
  • Like 1

My theory is that it's not actually a bug. The game can't tell whether you never met a character or they died if you import a POE1 save so it assumes you never met them and starts the game that way. The only problem with this is that it also assumes you had past history with Pallegina in the dialogues, and disappears Aloth unnecessarily.

I'd think that its reasonable to assume, if you never picked them up there's no info to transfer over, same as a death.  When I was doing a solo run in 2 I still picked people up, and just dumped them at an inn right away (Some of them had gear I wanted to steal, and there's no actual achievements so...).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Holy ****, Eder died?! I thought I'd see him shipwrecked on some island eventually... now I'm level 11 and having my doubts, and then I read this! RIP good man. If I realized, I'd have reloaded the first fight tbh.

Edited by the streaker

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah. I had this happen in my game, and agree that it is nonsense.

I would have been fine with such dire consequences if his Saint's War Armor had trigged and they had a funeral scene or even a line of dialog acknowledging his tragic death at the hands of pirates. But there is nothing for your dear old friend.

• Like 1

Yeah. I had this happen in my game, and agree that it is nonsense.

I would have been fine with such dire consequences if his Saint's War Armor had trigged and they had a funeral scene or even a line of dialog acknowledging his tragic death at the hands of pirates. But there is nothing for your dear old friend.

Nope, it's literally like he never existed in the game if he doesn't make it through that first fight...

My theory is that it's not actually a bug. The game can't tell whether you never met a character or they died if you import a POE1 save so it assumes you never met them and starts the game that way. The only problem with this is that it also assumes you had past history with Pallegina in the dialogues, and disappears Aloth unnecessarily.

I have the same thing with Pallegina in one playthrough: I never recruited her with my ranger in POE1, and she never made an appearance in deadfire thus far, even if there's no reason for her to be absent.

Also, Eder appeared in a different imported playthrough in which he left my party when I refused to find his brother, acting like he was there for the whole Thaos business, became mayor and left for Aedyr. I'd expected him not to appear, and eventually reloaded so I could leave him behind and play properly. It's doubly jarring since he acts like you're old friends either way, and there's no way to oppose that in dialogue either.

Edited by Taevyr