The voiced narrator is really distracting.

there are females voices that could fit the same quota as the old one . Like..hum..say Kreia! She had the voice.....for it! 

or the one who voiced Flemeth! 

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

there are females voices that could fit the same quota as the old one . Like..hum..say Kreia! She had the voice.....for it! 

True... at least they would sound like a wise granny, not a car navigation system.

Edited by warbaby2

True... at least they would sound like a wise granny, not like a car navigation system.

pfff they are no granny!  :getlost:

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

True... at least they would sound like a wise granny, not like a car navigation system.

pfff they are no granny!  :getlost:

I didn't say they are... ;)

Heh, Just FYI: It's Blindspot not Blindsight :)

The hot babe covered in tattoos, yup.

Well, I never played Last of Us, but she's pretty bad here. It's like she was bored out of her skull or something.

Yes, she obviously was bored to hell.

What happened to the BG1 narrator? Have SJWs eaten him for being too perfect?

On the contrary, if we go back and take a look at the closed documents, we'd find the anti-sjw's are to blame.

I disagree. I think she did a stellar job and was an excellent addition.

Some Ashley is better than no Ashley ;)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

What happened to the BG1 narrator? Have SJWs eaten him for being too perfect?

Better than gamergate throwing a temper tantrum and starting a review bombing campaign to destroy a developer over 2 lines of dialogue, I suppose.

The BG1 narrator now plays regular characters on Family Guy and The Simpsons (the voice of Principle Lewis on American Dad! is basically just a sexually aggressive Sarevok with a gambling problem), so he's probably a little too pricey at this point for the likes of PoE. 

Too slow. She's also very dramatic but has no character and that's a pretty uncomfortable combination. Someone earlier linked IWD2 intro: 

Listen to that by comparison. That is a young female narrator and it sounds amazing. She makes you want to hear what she has to say. People think that narrators need to be generic and featureless but that is completely incorrect. They need to be consistent, yes, and with a broadly appealing manner but if you don't care about the person telling the story you don't care about the story they have to tell. 

There's plenty of examples of excellent female narration out there (remember LOTR?). It doesn't have to be the baldur's gate guy or bust. For people saying they like this narrator, I have a question.

Would you want to listen to an audio book narrated like that? 

• Like 6

Please for the love of god let me turn her off. I've had enough of her overdramatic reading of descriptive text about golden cords and "THE PALLID KNIGHT SAYS" every five seconds. She is literally ruining every main plot scene for me.

I will say that the "he says" bits added at the end of those interactions are very awkward, as they do not appear written down and have no reason being there since we can already tell who says what by mere tone of voice and visual aid from the vignettes, on top of the sheer context itself. But this would be bed regardless of who was narrating, I feel, and in all frankness I don't see why people are taking it so hard against the narrator here, I think she's very good and fits the overall tone of these few sequences.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

To me, the narrator voice actor would be awesome voicing a companion (maybe she does?), but isn't ideal for the narrator part.  I'm ok with a female narrator, but feel she should have an "old / wizened" kind of vibe to it, which isn't the timbre of the narrator lady.  It needs a bit of age and gravel.

The POE1 narrator was great; he'd also do.

Why? DM can be anyone. Personally I really like that it’s not a standard narrator. I don’t mind the “male booming old voice” stereotype but this one is fresh, and the actress does a really great job with the material. I expected to be annoyed by it but I just lean back and enjoy the performance. No need to rush the playthrough.

Another point to take into account is that it really does make Eothas' voice stand out even more as a direct contrast to her own. Or so I find. I've not yet seen many of these sequences yet but the one at Port Maje was very evocative because of it.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Agreed, I wish there was an option to mute the narrator. It really distracted me from reading all those walls of text at my own pace. POE1 narrator was way better, btw, female narrator overacts with drama.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 4

Agreed, I wish there was an option to mute the narrator. It really distracted me from reading all those walls of text at my own pace. POE1 narrator was way better, btw, female narrator overacts with drama.

When ever the narration parts came up, I'd just mute my headset and read it myself. Literally only time I do it.

Too slow. She's also very dramatic but has no character and that's a pretty uncomfortable combination. Someone earlier linked IWD2 intro: 

Listen to that by comparison. That is a young female narrator and it sounds amazing. She makes you want to hear what she has to say. People think that narrators need to be generic and featureless but that is completely incorrect. They need to be consistent, yes, and with a broadly appealing manner but if you don't care about the person telling the story you don't care about the story they have to tell. 

There's plenty of examples of excellent female narration out there (remember LOTR?). It doesn't have to be the baldur's gate guy or bust. For people saying they like this narrator, I have a question.

That intro still gives me goosebumps. The narration and the music...

Agreed though, it's not about her being a female narrator, her voice just doesn't fit the style of narration.

• Like 1

It's honestly taking me out of the story rather than pulling me further in. "He says, She says, The Pallid Knight says" I know who's saying things... stop telling me every two seconds. x.x

Edited by Vyrulisse

There is reason to hate. It's obvious that it wasn't her best performance. This is NOT subjective or an opinion if you check out her other stuff. Period.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I like the narrator and narration, but what I do not like are all those instances of "Ondra says", "The Pale Knight said", etc. It takes me right out of the drama.

Since they are not in the text that comes with the voice I end up accidentally skipping those half the time and feeling bad about it later... :(

Good example. Other good examples would be Flemeth (as mentioned) or Morrigan from DA, and there are plenty of others. I do wonder if it was the actress herself or the person telling her what to do, as it's a clear case of rather extreme overacting, with an overemphasis on trying to sound empathetic.

• Like 2

nvAeseu.png

Yeah I agree the narrator is great in the cut scenes but her doing the dialogue box is a little odd. Then again I think the entire intro could just have been a cut scene that is also skippable. Like don't get me wrong it looks great but it's a chore to get through after the first time.

Good example. Other good examples would be Flemeth (as mentioned) or Morrigan from DA, and there are plenty of others. I do wonder if it was the actress herself or the person telling her what to do, as it's a clear case of rather extreme overacting, with an overemphasis on trying to sound empathetic.

Yep. I've listened to this intro SO many times as I've played Icewind Dale 2 SO many times. If I'm not mistaken this is the same voice actress that voiced my female character voice I would choose in the game. "Into the fray!" I love her voice. Never did find out who she was.

• Like 1