The voiced narrator is really distracting.

Please, in the future, do not have the narrator in conversations voiced.

It's annoying. I like it when the dialogue is voiced, but it breaks immersion for me to have someone tell me these things. If I read "you look over and see a tall stand of oak", I see it in my mind. If a voice tells me "you look over and see a tall stand of oak" I don't, I just have a person telling me that I do and therefore I don't. It is the difference between playing the calls of seagulls and saying "you hear sea gulls". When you put it into voiced words there is another step of translation that goes into turning it into an idea. Plus, I can read an entire text box pretty much instantaneously, but its more difficult to do this if someone is chirping in your ear while you are trying to read. This is still a game for people who like to read, right? We're not afraid of that, right? I understand to make things accessible we have to make the game appeal to people who thought Pillars 1 had too much text to read, but ... both titles were crowdfunded by appealing to fans who liked text heavy games. I really wish I had an option to turn off the narrator (in conversation) without killing all VO. I don't mind narration in chapter crawls or as part of the UI, but ... not in conversation.

Also, why did you get rid of the option to hide ineligible decisions. I loved not seeing those. It made me feel like the game was designed for my character instead of seeing all the options I could have chosen if I was someone else. (edit: no its still there. I just missed it like five times when looking for it. Despite it being... in the exact... same... place... whoops.)

I realise that most people probably won't agree with my position and that's fine.

Edited by Verenti
  • Like 31

a) She only does it for the intro and cut scenes of significance, which if you don't like it you could simply turn down the volume, and b) if you can request please do not have narrator voiced, i'll ask, please in the future, have ALL narration voiced. I love her voice over and think that she is doing an amazing job! 

• Like 9

I prefer to play without a narrator as well. Love the voice acting, but i am not fond of the narrator idea (or her voice to be honest)

It's cool that other people are enjoying the narrator, however i think an option to mute her would make everybody happy. Then folks who like it can have it, and those who don't can mute it.

• Like 6

Better yet, bring back the first guy

• Like 13

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Voiced narration really doesn't work very well for me; I like to play and read at a decent speed, so after the first couple of minutes of gameplay, I've always tried to skip through narration as fast as possible. However, it's not too distracting, and I understand that some people might appreciate it quite a bit.

• Like 1

I loved her. So sad that she departed after the opening scenes. I would love to have her back. Also, she's the one that now says: "You must gather your party before venturing forth." I am so used to that same guy saying that!

I'm gonna have to turn every voices down to zero, personnaly.

It's terribly distracting, especially when you play in any other language, that is not "English".

Gonna restart a playthrough while I can, I can't follow the story with voices. But that's just me.

• Like 1

It's only for the prologue and important parts of the main quest...

I was disappointed she dipped out so fast.

8600K @ 5GHz, GTX 1080 OC, 16GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, SSD, Windows 10 Pro

And it seems to me that the people are divided into groups who take it personally and those who don't. People who say "it" and people who say "she/her". People who like the idea that it's a woman's voice and, people who don't like getting their own thoughts narrated to them.

Please understand that it's not a person but a narrator, and  because someone doesn't like it most likely means that it's the voiceed in-game  narrator that it's very out of place. Let's put aside, who, narrated it for now.

• Like 1

It's alright so far, not amazing. It's good, decent. As far as narrative voices, I think we've all heard much better but I'm happy to see that people here who were complaining about the full voices are actually giviny it a chance and whatmorex actually beginning to understand why Obsidian made the choice.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Too much to ask that she pronounce Thaos’ name correctly?

• Like 6

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Apparently... it is.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I like it so far, could tell right away it was Ellie (spelling?) from The Last of Us. Not perfect but more good compared to bad :)

Edited by kozzy

I don't think the VA itself is that bad, but it's the awkwardness of voiced narration interjecting. I'd much rather mute it - but at the end of the day it's not a huge deal.

• Like 1