It's so obviously "OP" that there must be significant game mechanisms to counteract it---aside from just requiring a lot of wounds. The devs can overlook things but they're not completely incompetent.

Lol, you really belive that? I guess you don't remember pillars of eternity barbarian retaliation build at all :D. Devs always miss a lot of most broken builds/combos in game simply because they have no time to test every possible combo/mechanic. Especiall Obsidian which is quite small team compare to huge developers, who also oversight a lot of stuff like that. I could tell you a lot of examples from various RPGs that have broken stuff like that till today and every new RPG have things like that.

As I said, they can overlook some combos. But this is just extremely obvious +a gazillion damage on crit with the +100 accuracy on empower right next to it. They'd have to be completely incompetent to play single class Monk and not see it. 

And it's possible. They would not build in-game mechanics just to make sure they counter as you said yourself "obvious" broken combo- that would not make sense at all. It's probably a simple mistake in numbers, for example +500% instead of 100% or lower that was supposed to be there but they got numbers wrong. Actually numbers tweaking is most common in RPG-like games after release, as some numbers were simply too low or too high.

Remember that when you make and test game you use **** ton of different game builds, some for close beta, some for inner testing, some for alpha, beta etc etc. I know, I worked in industry. It's very easy that a lot of things from different builds are overlooked in the end when release build (final) hits.

Besides in single-player RPG game- who cares if there are some broken stuff there? If people will want they will use console and give themself godmode anyway. It's not PvP.

Well the mechanisms to counter it have already been confirmed by the ability trees for Paladin, Fighter, Priest, Chanter, and  Druid. Any class ability a player can access can also be accessed by enemies of that class. So they're in the game.

And Eothas literally self-resurrects at the start of the game, so I'll bet he has it too.

Immunities to specific damage types are also supposed to be a major part of the game, so immunity to crush damage will reduce damage from this ability to 0. (Lashes are applied after immunities, right? And since lash is a multiplier, it would also be 0.)

Defensive % crit-to-hit and hit-to-graze are also already confirmed in the game, though 100% crit-to-hit would be a boring solution....

It's so obviously "OP" that there must be significant game mechanisms to counteract it---aside from just requiring a lot of wounds. The devs can overlook things but they're not completely incompetent.

Lol, you really belive that? I guess you don't remember pillars of eternity barbarian retaliation build at all :D. Devs always miss a lot of most broken builds/combos in game simply because they have no time to test every possible combo/mechanic. Especiall Obsidian which is quite small team compare to huge developers, who also oversight a lot of stuff like that. I could tell you a lot of examples from various RPGs that have broken stuff like that till today and every new RPG have things like that.

As I said, they can overlook some combos. But this is just extremely obvious +a gazillion damage on crit with the +100 accuracy on empower right next to it. They'd have to be completely incompetent to play single class Monk and not see it. 

And it's possible. They would not build in-game mechanics just to make sure they counter as you said yourself "obvious" broken combo- that would not make sense at all. It's probably a simple mistake in numbers, for example +500% instead of 100% or lower that was supposed to be there but they got numbers wrong. Actually numbers tweaking is most common in RPG-like games after release, as some numbers were simply too low or too high.

Remember that when you make and test game you use **** ton of different game builds, some for close beta, some for inner testing, some for alpha, beta etc etc. I know, I worked in industry. It's very easy that a lot of things from different builds are overlooked in the end when release build (final) hits.

Besides in single-player RPG game- who cares if there are some broken stuff there? If people will want they will use console and give themself godmode anyway. It's not PvP.

Well the mechanisms to counter it have already been confirmed by the ability trees for Paladin, Fighter, Priest, Chanter, and  Druid. Any class ability a player can access can also be accessed by enemies of that class. So they're in the game.

And Eothas literally self-resurrects at the start of the game, so I'll bet he has it too.

Immunities to specific damage types are also supposed to be a major part of the game, so immunity to crush damage will reduce damage from this ability to 0. (Lashes are applied after immunities, right? And since lash is a multiplier, it would also be 0.)

Defensive % crit-to-hit and hit-to-graze are also already confirmed in the game, though 100% crit-to-hit would be a boring solution....

No it doesn't work like that. Never in any RPG enemies were equal to players in terms of access to abilities/spells etc. It would be nightmare to balance. How do you see a fight vs several paldins that can self ressurect all the time? It would be stupid and frustraiting to play against. Enemy ressurect mechanic for common enemies would basicelly make combat a chore.

Besides we all started to paly game already and soon we will see if there are any self-ressurects on enemies.... which sound like fantasy.... in fantasy game :D

• Like 1

Oh come on, there are many fantasy games where endgame bosses auto-resurrect. 

And yes, as in PoE 1, enemies of the same class get access to the same abilities. How could you play PoE 1 (especially the attack on Concelhaut) and not notice that ffs?

One nice thing about the resurrection mechanic is that it waits a few seconds before resurrecting. So you can't just use Swift Flurry or Cleave to keep killing them. 

Almost feel sorry for dunehunter, he spent so much time during the beta trying to find "OP" max damage/kill one-shots/loops and the resurrection mechanic makes them not so OP (at high level) after all.

Edited by SaruNi

And yes, as in PoE 1, enemies of the same class get access to the same abilities. How could you play PoE 1 (especially the attack on Concelhaut) and not notice that ffs?

One nice thing about the resurrection mechanic is that it waits a few seconds before resurrecting. So you can't just use Swift Flurry or Cleave to keep killing them.

Almost feel sorry for dunehunter, he spent so much time during the beta trying to find "OP" max damage/kill one-shots/loops and the resurrection mechanic makes them not so OP (at high level) after all.

Nah don't feel sorry for me, I don't think resurrection is that OP to make others not OP ;)

Also I’m starting this thread to discuss how powerful this ability is combine with empower. Not about resurrect, feel free to open another thread discuss about it.

Edited by dunehunter

Nah don't feel sorry for me, I don't think resurrection is that OP to make others not OP ;)

Also I’m starting this thread to discuss how powerful this ability is combine with empower. Not about resurrect, feel free to open another thread discuss about it.

Whether it's OP or not all depends on what endgame enemies are like. Wait until you get to endgame to decide how powerful it really is in context. Not against poor little kitties. 

Fair point about gibbing from crit, but Alpine Dragon for example in PoE 1 could not be gibbed, so it probably won't apply to bosses / major enemies with resurrect. Or if it does the devs will disable it.