[Mac] Unable to start game, black screen

cheesevillain

Question

i...i wasn’t expecting this so quickly. i thought we’d be waiting weeks. it seems to work so far, we’ll see if my machine can handle it, but i’ve so far gotten past the adra, where i’ve never been before.

i don’t know what to say. i’m still disappointed this happened this way at all but in a years time if this thing still works none of us will remember these few days.

man, i wish it was fixed before release, as i’m sure obsidian does. it certainly affects my desire to buy any of their products again on day one, but i’m happy it’s been fixed. thank you for your hard work.

Can confirm, new beta update made it work for me as well!

Played for about 2 hours tonight, no other problems so far! Really happy with how the game turned out, hope the rest of you fellow mac users can play as well!

Edited by gabrielts

Found:

Steam

To access the Beta branch on Steam, please follow these steps:

1) In your Steam Library Right click on Pillars of Eternity II, and select "Properties"

2) Select the "Beta" Tab, and click the Drop Down for labeled "NONE - Opt out of all beta programs", and instead select "Beta - Public Beta branch for upcoming patches"

3) Close the Window, and you should have a download ready. Attempting to play the game should automatically trigger the download.

How to switch back on Steam:

To switch back and opt out of all betas, simply repeat the Steps above, but select "None - Opt out of all Betas" from the drop down list in Step 3.

GOG Galaxy

To access the Beta Branch on GOG Galaxy, please follow these steps:

1) Proceed to the game card for your game in the GOG Galaxy client.

2) Proceed to the game's settings via the "More" option, and select "Settings"

3) Select "ON" from the drop down menu in the "Beta Channels" option on the right hand side.

4) A "Channel" option should now be visible. And in the Dropdown should be the option for "Beta"

5) After selecting this option, GOG Galaxy should automatically start your download of the beta branch.

How to Switch back on GOG Galaxy:

To switch back, simply repeat the steps above, but choose "default" in the Channel Drop down options.
  • Like 3

That's great there's a way to get into the beta branch for those who purchased on Steam or GOG, but what about if you got it from the Apple App store? Is there a way to access the Beta branch from there? 

I'd love any direction to be able to start playing this game that I've been looking forward to for so long. Even just to play around with character creation while they actually fully fix the problem'd be great! 

That's great there's a way to get into the beta branch for those who purchased on Steam or GOG, but what about if you got it from the Apple App store? Is there a way to access the Beta branch from there?

I'd love any direction to be able to start playing this game that I've been looking forward to for so long. Even just to play around with character creation while they actually fully fix the problem'd be great!

not yet there isn’t...just hang tight bro, they’ll put this patch out officially soon, i bet by tuesday. i’d suggest maybe getting a refund in the meantime if you’re unhappy but i don’t be know what the app store’s policy is

If you send me a message with what specs you'd like for your main character, I can create it for you and then email you the saved game file.

I just tried to play the game again, but the same error occurred after entering the adra pillar where the screen loads in a black screen, then stops responding. Has the patch gone life yet? That or the patch hasn't solved the problem. I tried to play the game at 9pm.

Macbook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

I just tried to play the game again, but the same error occurred after entering the adra pillar where the screen loads in a black screen, then stops responding. Has the patch gone life yet? That or the patch hasn't solved the problem. I tried to play the game at 9pm.

Macbook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

They said patch were going live on Tuesday, but now its Wednesday and still no patch...

Just got back from vacation, and was really excited to load this game.  I pre-ordered it back in 2016 and have been really looking forward to it ever since!  I looked through 3 windows of comments, and I'm having the exact same issue, over a week after launch.  My mac stats are below--please fix this soon, I really want to see what you have done!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

Processor 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel Iris Graphics 61001536 MB

Thanks!

I had some luck with the initial patch. It's unplayable at this point, though. Input is completely unreliable and there's 7-8 seconds of lag for 2-3 seconds where the game responds to commands. I've enjoyed the hell out of what I got to play, despite the low resolution and intermittent lag issues. But I'm giving up until I can run the game the way the designers intended it to run. My guess is that's a couple of years off. I guess the good news is that I'll get to pick the game up on sale with all of the expansions. 

I hope everyone else had better luck, because it's a well-made and well-written game.