[Mac] Unable to start game, black screen

cheesevillain

Question

Is it possible to get a timeframe for the fix?  I can be patient for a few days, but anything longer than that and I am better off getting a return on steam and picking it up on discount at the summer sale in a month or so.

Some transparency would be appreciated.

Is it possible to get a timeframe for the fix?  I can be patient for a few days, but anything longer than that and I am better off getting a return on steam and picking it up on discount at the summer sale in a month or so.

Maybe tuesday, though we can't be sure.

Josh Sawyer has a twitter thread going on.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/994276131573383168

As some have already mentioned, there is a hotfix coming on Tuesday; But it is anyone's guess if this mac issue will be resolved by then as well.

I say, wait till after Tues, and then if there isn't any good news, it is a fine time for a refund.

Same issue here...

System Version:    macOS 10.13.4 (17E202)
  Kernel Version:    Darwin 17.5.0

Intel Iris Pro:
  Chipset Model:    Intel Iris Pro
  Type:    GPU
  Bus:    Built-In
  VRAM (Dynamic, Max):    1536 MB
  Vendor:    Intel
  Metal:    Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v3

so should i check next week, on Tuesday for a fix, or maybe a month? or few?

It's a high priority issue and they're already working on it, so it's seems safe to assume it'll be fixed... at some point. But probably not by Tuesday.

If they don't have it fixed within a month, something gone terribly wrong. ;P

We appear to be the only 'hot' topic in the tech support forum...

Public beta patch is now available to try, but as of this post, we have not yet made the list of fixes.

Here's hoping for Tuesday!

let’s keep it that way! we can’t let ip in voicing our displeasure with this; it’s how we wound up with a known broken game in the first place. there were no refunds for backers in the beta, so they didn’t give a ****. now that we’re taking our money back out of their pockets, all of a sudden they’re working on it.

keep this topic hot as ****, guys.

• Like 3

Obsidian really needs to be more transparent on this issue.  I shouldn't have to find a twitter feed to get a vague "we are working on it" claim. 

If they sold a product that they knew was not functional (i.e. this was a known issue from the beta) then how is that ethical?  Paired with the issue not being addressed or mentioned in the Tuesday patch you can see why so many Mac users are frustrated.   

• Like 4

To save anyone else testing.

Beta patch does not patch the issue we have been talking about here. Expected given the notes, but hoping I can save anyone else getting their hopes up.

Additionally, it's not this one scene transition that crashes the game, you can't load a save made past that point and have the game run. It's just straight up broken.

• Like 2

Lots of frustration with this and people paid money for a none working product. Like a few comments already would be great to get an update from them, but havent really been given any real date lines. Havent as yet asked for a refund, but have thought about it alot. I like most, here will wait for next Tuesday, and see where the land lies, if to get a refund and go away for a few months until we get it at a bargain and FIXED or wait a while longer? Need to keep this topic at the top so they see the priority.

Edited by Jaseace

Lots of frustration with this and people paid money for a none working product. Like a few comments already would be great to get an update from them, but havent really been given any real date lines.

Just to add context here, not to apologize. My guess the reason we haven't got a real answer from Obsidian is that they just don't know.

Given what we do know, it's very plausible that this issue might need to be handled by Unity, not Obsidian. Unity would have no backers to appease and no deadline to work to, especially if this is a backport of a fix to say a 2017 or 2016 build of the engine. Dealing with backports can be a pain and time consuming.

The silence is definitely deafening, but I suspect that Obsidian want to come back to us with something concrete, rather than admit their ignorance.

Lastly, it's a ****ty thing to be reminded of at this point but OSX represents about 2-3% of users according to the last steam survey, and only a portion of OSX machines are impacted. This is absolutely a mission critical thing for those of us on OSX, but we are a drop in the bucket in terms of install base.

If you really want to see a reaction, get the media involved. Press for the game has been uniformly laudatory but a change to that may light a fire under things. And that's a big may.

• Like 5

Lesson learned. Next time don't preorder from obsidian and when it's released jus go to tpb.. . Looks like Avalon was right about the company

how does this fix the problem? buy a broken game, or steal a broken game, the game is still broken.

if you wanna talk pirate bay, lets all get our refunds and when/if ever this is fixed, redownload it at that point from tpb. 

It's fixed! The beta patch for next week has been updated to include a fix for the mac black screen: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98361-fixes-to-the-patch-beta-build-71/

Here is the reddit thread for instructions on how to access the beta patch: https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/8iqfja/patch_beta_is_on/

I can confirm, it took me 10 seconds to download and apply the patch and I now get past the intro! have a late 2015 Macbook pro with iris 1536mb graphics, a little laggy but playable. See you all in Eora.

• Like 2

It's fixed! The beta patch for next week has been updated to include a fix for the mac black screen: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98361-fixes-to-the-patch-beta-build-71/

Here is the reddit thread for instructions on how to access the beta patch: https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/8iqfja/patch_beta_is_on/

I can confirm, it took me 10 seconds to download and apply the patch and I now get past the intro! have a late 2015 Macbook pro with iris 1536mb graphics, a little laggy but playable. See you all in Eora.

I can back this. I’m also in! Happy gaming all!

• Like 2