[Mac] Unable to start game, black screen

cheesevillain

Question

Woah, ya'll chill a bit. Bugs happen. It's frustrating. I'm very frustrated I can't play, I've been pining for this game! But remember when we were all ok with the game being delayed a month to smooth out a lot of bugs? Bugs happen. The FOMO is awful, but it'll pass and we'll get to enjoy the game soon.

yes it was delayed a month to eliminate bugs. yes we were all okay with that. what you’re not understanding is this: then why the **** are there still bugs??? why did obsidian take our money for a product that is broken in the same way it was broken for backers months ago? what exactly did they do in that month?

Woah, ya'll chill a bit. Bugs happen. It's frustrating. I'm very frustrated I can't play, I've been pining for this game! But remember when we were all ok with the game being delayed a month to smooth out a lot of bugs? Bugs happen. The FOMO is awful, but it'll pass and we'll get to enjoy the game soon.

yes it was delayed a month to eliminate bugs. yes we were all okay with that. what you’re not understanding is this: then why the **** are there still bugs??? why did obsidian take our money for a product that is broken in the same way it was broken for backers months ago? what exactly did they do in that month?

I think whats worse is the lack of sincere and official response. At least something to indicate this was a priority, they were do everything they would. Perhaps the offer a partial price reduction, or just an in game bonus (no cost to them).

Its just really poor customer services. Im finding that more frustrating that the delay.

Can we get some confirmation from dev's that this is something you can reproduce and fix?

I'd settle for knowing they can reproduce it, but I'd certainly like to know what's causing it. Did daveh86 nail it? If so, is that fixable in the short term? 

I'm assuming that there are a lot of folks with the same configurations we have that are successfully playing, but is there a way to even estimate that? Is there data from Steam or anywhere else that breaks down players by OS from which we could at least guesstimate how many others are encountering this problem? 

Joined just for this as well.  I'm having the same issue, sadly, on my 2015 Macbook Air running Sierra.  Just wanted to add my voice to the dozens here.  Tried all of the suggestions here to no avail--and received a response (which only gives me a shred of hope) from Obsidian saying this when I asked for a timeline:

Our programmers are working on a solution as we speak and we hope to get the issue resolved as soon as we can.

We deeply appreciate your support and patience. 

• Like 2

this is and should be a major blow to everyone’s faith in Obsidian. i thought we were past these days with this company, but no. they willingly and knowingly put out and accepted money for a broken game. they could have delayed the mac version until it was fixed; nobody would have been mad. but no. it was more important for them to release simultaneously across 3 OSs, broken or not, and see all those profits roll in at once.

**** this bull****. we should all get our refunds now and wait until it’s fixed, then check these forums, before buying it again. and we should never buy an Obsidian product for Mac on day 1 again, because they’ve shown that giving us a functional product is less important than having our money ASAP.

very, very, very disappointed in what was until this week my second favorite video game company. at least CDPR’s **** runs.

Edited by deveroth
  • Like 2

All right folks, a few things.

First, Josh Sawyer has acknowledged that the Mac bugs exist, and that they are working on a hot fix that should be out by next Tuesday. Check the comments/replies on this tweet to see them. We have acknowledgement from the project lead, what more do you want them to do? Put out a full press release? They know its a problem and are working to fix it, just like the bugs with save imports and other issues. It's only been two days, and their focus is on fixing the problems.

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/994276131573383168

Second, why is everyone claiming that Obsidian knew about this? Yes I know there was a bug in the beta, but are you really saying that because they didn't solve that, that means they never bothered to solve it for release during the month-long delay to deal with bugs? There's no evidence, just looking for reasons to claim that they didn't care. They also have been having problems with the save imports, which is something Josh said they tested so it seems more reasonable than not that they tested for Mac stuff and somehow missed this one as well. Obsidian games are known for being buggy, and while we should encourage them to be better instead of just accepting that, this assumption that they just don't care about Mac users seems more like people looking for a reason to be upset than anything else. There's no proof that they didn't care about us - just proof that they missed a major bug. Frustrating, but not evil.

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/173652711001/orlan-babies-arent-appearing-in-streamers-games

• Like 3

First, Josh Sawyer has acknowledged that the Mac bugs exist, and that they are working on a hot fix that should be out by next Tuesday. Check the comments/replies on this tweet to see them. We have acknowledgement from the project lead, what more do you want them to do? Put out a full press release? They know its a problem and are working to fix it, just like the bugs with save imports and other issues. It's only been two days, and their focus is on fixing the problems.

Second, why is everyone claiming that Obsidian knew about this? Yes I know there was a bug in the beta, but are you really saying that because they didn't solve that, that means they never bothered to solve it for release during the month-long delay to deal with bugs? There's no evidence, just looking for reasons to claim that they didn't care. They also have been having problems with the save imports, which is something Josh said they tested so it seems more reasonable than not that they tested for Mac stuff and somehow missed this one as well. Obsidian games are known for being buggy, and while we should encourage them to be better instead of just accepting that, this assumption that they just don't care about Mac users seems more like people looking for a reason to be upset than anything else. There's no proof that they didn't care about us - just proof that they missed a major bug. Frustrating, but not evil.

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/173652711001/orlan-babies-arent-appearing-in-streamers-games

First, the hotfix is for the Save Import bug not the MacOS bug. The replies say they are aware of the Mac bug but not a hotfix date for it specifically. The fact that the information is buried in the comments about another bug-fix is kind of annoying, especially when the bug affects so many customers. "Obsidian games are known for being buggy" is not an excuse to have a game that is unplayable. You say we should encourage them to be better, but people spent a lot of money and feel like they're being left out in the cold with no explanation for when they can play their game. Of course we want them to "be better", but blind faith seems like a silly route to go. There are a lot of people who have never played a Obsidian game but wanted to hop in here. Why should those people be expected to be generous and patient with what amounts to $50+ for an unworking product.  

The reason everyone is saying that Obsidian must have known about this is because MacOS is a very common programming laptop and it's almost certain there were playtesters that ran into this bug. The game is sold as a MacOS game but that game is not playable for some large percentage of the Mac install-base. I don't think it's evil on their part but it is bad business practice to release a full price game and then to not get a daily update or even just an acknowledgement that they've found (or not found) the root-cause of the error so people can wait it out for the hotfix or refund it and re-buy it later when the game is fully functional. The lack of updates in the forums, twitter, their website... It's just "We're working on it." and that isn't enough to feel confident that we're nearing a playable game.

• Like 3

I'm not pointing fingers, but typically you would delay the release of a platform for this type of issue. Maybe they were unable to repro the bug in backer's release candidate. The build that actually released probably slipped through the cracks.

Either way kinda crappy, but these things happen when you can't provide adequate build coverage. Personally, while disappointed I am giving them a pass. 

• Like 2

It's possible there will be no resolution to this problem until at least Tuesday:

https://twitter.com/Mrluga/status/994622262669168640

To chime in on what is being said - I give them a pass on everything except the communication thing.  We shouldn't have to look through responses on Twitter to get an estimated timeline for the solution to a problem. This info wasn't available from support nor was it available from the posted note.  Just a response to a tweet.

• Like 2

Same here. Walking along the winded path, being reminded the Gods are as real as a giant adra man stomping my face, then my soul is absorbed and the game stops responding.  

El Capitan 10.11.2 (15C50) 

2,2 GHz Intel Core i7

16 Go 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel Iris Pro 1536 Mo

so it shouldn't be a performance issue

This bug was reported in beta. So they knew. I feel like releasing it to us is basically another level of beta so they could see how wide-ranging this bug would be.

And no fix until Tuesday? Fantastic.

And no guarantee that even means the Mac bug.

That support link takes me to Page not Found. :(

Edited by copperleaves

This bug was reported in beta. So they knew. I feel like releasing it to us is basically another level of beta so they could see how wide-ranging this bug would be.

I think this was the article intended by the link:

https://support.obsidian.net/article/30-mac-game-crashes-before-character-generation

The article says that they believe the problem is associated with the Intel Iris Pro/HD 5000 chipsets and that they are working very hard on a fix, but no specific timeline. Better/clearer communication on this issue would be appreciated.

• Like 2

https://support.obsidian.net/article/30-mac-game-crashes-before-character-generation

The article says that they believe the problem is associated with the Intel Iris Pro/HD 5000 chipsets and that they are working very hard on a fix, but no specific timeline. Better/clearer communication on this issue would be appreciated.

Most of the people on this thread do have either Iris or HD 5000, but there are several 15” MBP and 27” iMacs, neither of which use the Iris chipset.

Soooooooo...? Maybe? I dunno.

Thanks for that link. And I'm with you; a quick comment to this thread to that effect would have been nice. 

Yeah, I remember reporting this bug myself in beta... among hundreds of other bugs that needed to be fixed urgently. And it was reported along with other game crashing Mac bugs which where pretty hard to differentiate from it. And this is a bug which affects only a subset of a small subset of players.

I don't think they knew, and I think it's reasonable for them not to know.

Edited by cheesevillain
  • Like 3

Nice to know that the source of problem has been isolated - hopefully.

I do know that the Intel Iris chip series specifically, have issues running some games like The Sims 3, while older mac models without this chip encountered no problem. Definitely will be needing a patch from the devs to get this integrated graphics properly supported.