[Mac] Unable to start game, black screen

cheesevillain

Question

seriously what the ****...was this game not tested at all on mac? how can so many people have the same problem and yet obsidian still releases this ****?

The problem is isolated to MacBooks, I think.

wrong. i have a iMac and have the same problem. seems like i said initially, they didn’thave a single tester touch the mac version beyond loading up the title screen and saying”It works! Ship it!”

• Like 1

I tried to lunch it in SUDO - not working

I un-pluged external monitors - not working

I tried lowest settings - not working

Full screen and windowed - not working

No internet - not working

Lunch from GOG and directly from APP - not working

Most of you are running High Sierra right ?

Mostly, but I think that's just because it's the newest version. There are several people with older versions of High Sierra, and I also see a few with El Capitan or Sierra.

I imagine this problem would be a lot easier to fix if it were limited to 10.13.....

Most of you are running High Sierra right ?

El Capitan (10.11.6) here, and I've noticed a half-dozen or so other folks with the same Macbook - early 2015, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8G ram and Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB. 

Like some others, I tried lowering the graphics settings, restarting, and disabling some audio options without any change. 

This laptop ran PoE1, albeit with some performance issues, and the introductory videos and first scene on the adra path ran choppily. The audio cut in and out, for example.  

• Like 2

literally dozens of the same people with the same problem. and apparently this problem was present in the backer beta. what the ever loving **** are they doing at obsidian? didn’t they delay the game an extra month or so to fix bugs? what is this ****? did they only fix bugs in the title screen??

and to make it clear, this is NOT just a macbook issue. i have a late 2013 iMac running high sierra.

can’t believe we’re still in the “what OS are you using?”, information gathering phase of this **** when this problem clearly isn’t new and has been affecting people for months.

Edited by deveroth
  • Like 4

literally dozens of the same people with the same problem. and apparently this problem was present in the backer beta. what the ever loving **** are they doing at obsidian? didn’t they delay the game an extra month or so to fix bugs? what is this ****? did they only fix bugs in the title screen??

and to make it clear, this is NOT just a macbook issue. i have a late 2013 iMac running high sierra.

can’t believe we’re still in the “what OS are you using?”, information gathering phase of this **** when this problem clearly isn’t new and has been affecting people for months.

I only have 2 posts left till 10 May (sic!!!) but this one deserve an amen.. 

Is there a way to switch between OpenGL and Metal on OSX? I can't seem to find any command line options.

Edit: Ran with -force-glcore on same result.

Honestly though I don't know which version of Unity it is running, what graphics mode it is running, or if that flag actually works. I was initially thinking this was an issue with OSX Metal.

Edit:

doh Unity version and graphics mode was at the top of the log

Initialize engine version: 5.6.3p3 (88d4ddf6344a)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Renderer: Intel Iris Pro OpenGL Engine
Vendor:   Intel Inc.
Version:  4.1 INTEL-10.32.48
Edited by redwindmill

That’s part of what makes this so frustrating. They BEEN knew! I feel like Mac users are being used as beta testers rn so they can see how wide the problem is and what commonalities it has.

I’m really mad bc the pre-order of this game took a big chunk out of my budget, but I wanted to play ASAP. Now it looks like I could’ve saved my damn money for a while.

• Like 2

I wonder what percentage of mac players are experiencing this problem? Those of us who've responded to this thread are using a wide range of models. Does anyone see a common thread?  

Edit: this is new. I just decided to try and run the game again, and instead of hanging at the same place, it crashed to desktop. However, this time, the audio didn't cut in and out, and the game seemed to run more smoothly. The only thing I did differently was to leave the game on "relaxed" difficulty instead of a higher setting. 

Edited by RojayNola

I wonder what percentage of mac players are experiencing this problem? Those of us who've responded to this thread are using a wide range of models. Does anyone see a common thread?  

Edit: this is new. I just decided to try and run the game again, and instead of hanging at the same place, it crashed to desktop. However, this time, the audio didn't cut in and out, and the game seemed to run more smoothly. The only thing I did differently was to leave the game on "relaxed" difficulty instead of a higher setting. 

Out of curiousity, I tried it out again as well; Unfortunately, even with the "relaxed" difficulty, it is still the same freeze-at-the-wheel pattern for me. Had to forced quit the game manually after staring for a good 2-3 mins at a black screen.

...I am getting really sick of walking down this dang purple path for the nth time. Someone, please end this misery already. xP

• Like 1

Definitely the most frustrating part is outside of one game developer asking for everyone’s OS, Obsidian hasn’t even acknowledged the issue.

It’s been an entire day Obsidian, give us an update, or at least acknowledge the fact that you’re aware of the issue and are working on a fix!!!

I’m very close to asking for a refund.

• Like 2

Oh, it's acknowledged.   I sent an email in last night and they told me as well it was a known issue.  But the lack of an update is frustrating.

Definitely the most frustrating part is outside of one game developer asking for everyone’s OS, Obsidian hasn’t even acknowledged the issue.

It’s been an entire day Obsidian, give us an update, or at least acknowledge the fact that you’re aware of the issue and are working on a fix!!!

• Like 2

Right. But they haven’t acknowledged it on any sort of public platform. This leads me to believe that they don’t know what’s causing it, which means it’s going to be a while. Very frustrating.

Oh, it's acknowledged.   I sent an email in last night and they told me as well it was a known issue.  But the lack of an update is frustrating.

So I was lucky enough to have a friend with a pc. Playing through the intro scene and then making the character, I transferred the save file over(Have had to do this before.) and still it won't load. So it's more than just the intro transition. This is on both an IMac and a Macbook pro 2015

Has this been resolved yet? Pre-ordered the game but not had chance to start, all set up ready to go - black screen. Follwed all the forum advice, still black screen and doesnt start!! Grr. Frustrated.COM

Edited by Jaseace
  • Like 1

Soooo....should I refund the game and buy later when/if a fix is developed? Like, if this is going to be a longer than 2 week fix for whatever reason, I'd like to use my money for something else in the meantime instead of having a useless file sitting on my hard drive.