I'm new to this style of game but I've watched and it looks so good and well worth the money. Any advice on gameplay or type of builds I should expect/use? Thanks ahead!

Go check out the builds forum.  My advice though would be to just play the game, pay attention to tutorials, and learn it for yourself.

Deadfire (just like Eternity 1) has been designed so all classes are viable and the game can be completed with all sort of parties.  Worrying about "optimum" builds in a single player RPG is just silly.

• Like 2

Unless you play on the hardest difficulty, any party composition and builds will work :)

Pretty sure any party build works regardless of difficulty.

The only time optimum builds really matter is if you are trying to solo path of the damned or something.

• Like 1

I'm just worried of creating a character and struggling because I don't know what the characters do. Also the game controls I'm clueless about  like game pause, what the keys do etc...

Play around on easy difficulty levels, enjoy the story and have fun ;)

Don't bother reading up on builds, unless you want to play Veteran/Path of the Damned. Pick a class that interests you and just muck about with the skills.

Pretty sure any party build works regardless of difficulty.

The only time optimum builds really matter is if you are trying to solo path of the damned or something.

This is definitely true of PoE. Well okay it's not if you actually go out of your way to make bad builds like dumping all stats to 3, but any reasonable build should be able to beat PotD with a full party.

space-bar.jpg

Use this alot and you'll be fine.

Indeed. If a second of in game time goes by unsplit by a pause you're doing it wrong :lol:

EDIT: I only half joke: in hard fights I probably reach this sort of level of pausing (at least at the start of the fight).

Edited by JerekKruger
  • Like 1

Don't bother reading up on builds, unless you want to play Veteran/Path of the Damned. Pick a class that interests you and just muck about with the skills.

So it will be playable even if I play with the class that interest me though it may not be the "best"? I want to enjoy the game mostly.

So it will be playable even if I play with the class that interest me though it may not be the "best"? I want to enjoy the game mostly.

Yes. It may take some time to get used to combat, regardless of class, but go for something you’ll enjoy

space-bar.jpg

What does Space do? 

The game is a RTwP (Real Time with Pause) game. That means that the game is built on the idea that you pause, then tell every party member what to do. When they have done what you want them to, give them new orders. Repeat until win ;)

Edited by Andronidas
  • Like 1

Seriously, there are in game tutorials.  You can at any time hover anything for tooltips from stats, to specific terms in conversations like names of cities, to getting a detailed breakdown of DPS right off your character sheet, not to mention every single ability in the game.  There is a fully detailed combat log you can review if you have questions about something that happened.  

There is metric tons of in game info to explain the systems to you and how they work.  If that somehow is not enough, you can view dozens of hours of gameplay breakdowns on youtube.

Lastly, don't listen to the grognards.  All classes are viable and useful in this game, period. Play what you want to play, there are no "trap" builds designed to make characters that suck.  Everything is viable right down to a party of all rogues, ranger wizard multiclassing, and monks using weapons.  Just play on normal difficulty, or even lower if all you care about is story, and enjoy the game.

• Like 1

The most important thing you have to get your head around is that you *have* to understand the math and the damage formula.  Okay well not really depending on your difficulty but still.  

It is quite a lot more enjoyable to play these RPGs when you know exactly how your damage calculation is being made, and that requires some basic math and understanding the (IMO) needlessly complicated accuracy and resistance saves mechanics.  Invest a bit of time in that and you'll enjoy yourself a lot more.  

Also if you are stuck on playing a class, pick a single class that isn't Barbarian or Rogue and you will be fine.  Ask first before you play a multi class.

space-bar.jpg

What does Space do? 

The game is a RTwP (Real Time with Pause) game. That means that the game is built on the idea that you pause, then tell every party member what to do. When they have done what you want them to, give them new orders. Repeat until win ;)

thank you

• Like 2