[Powerbuilding] Strongest builds that are still viable from beta?

which weapons do most people choose for devoted? kinda interesting that people aren't afraid to be locked into one weapon class...but i guess most people will take sabres or greatswords

I'm a bit biased because of the original penetration system in beta, which is why I stick to weapons with at least two damage types.  But even with a less harsh penetration system there are still immunities to contend with so a weapon with two damage types still doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.  

Without knowing what kind of weapons I'll find in game my first choice is dual wielding longswords.

Pretty sure that fanatic, specifically barbarian berserker / paladin either bleakwalker or goldpact knight is still a strong combo. Just have to ride it out till you can pick up mental fortress at power level IV (character level 10) and the paladin ability completely removes the confused status from your frenzy.

Edited by Koth

which weapons do most people choose for devoted? kinda interesting that people aren't afraid to be locked into one weapon class...but i guess most people will take sabres or greatswords

I'm a bit biased because of the original penetration system in beta, which is why I stick to weapons with at least two damage types.  But even with a less harsh penetration system there are still immunities to contend with so a weapon with two damage types still doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.  

Without knowing what kind of weapons I'll find in game my first choice is dual wielding longswords.

to me these modal that give you -15 deflection for +2 penetration seem like a really harsh trade off but maybe thats just me

to me these modal that give you -15 deflection for +2 penetration seem like a really harsh trade off but maybe thats just me

Unless something has changed lately all the modals have harsh penalties, you don't use them very much.

as soon as u get level 5 (by the time u repair the ship) with monk u can spam super fast melee attacks that do 40+ non crit with lightning fists. u can also spam torment if u play shattered pillar for good aoe.

just abuse nature godlike +2 powerlevel since u can basically get it all the time at level one witth swift strikes.

unless there are suberb weapons available at level 5 i dont think any class can match how broken the monk is at melee.  u are getting +35% and 10 accuracy at level 5 for ur fists.

Edited by dudex
  • Like 1

im running a sharpshhoter + assasin and a assasin + bleak im like level 4 with a my bleak and i sneak attack combo for like 80 dmg :p

arnt monks suppsoed to be the most broken combos?

I think they overtuned the BW/Assassin combo. Even at max lvl I can only do around 150 damage with backstabbing.

What's the best choice for Devoted right now?  Soul Blade?  I'm going to avoid the nature godlike monk until future playthroughs I think and go devoted (longsword) for my first playthrough.  I'm assuming fists never made it to the weapon focus picks.

Soul Blade and Cleave is disgusting not much else to say. Monk Cipher seems good but balanced compared to soul blade and Cleave.

What's the best choice for Devoted right now?  Soul Blade?  I'm going to avoid the nature godlike monk until future playthroughs I think and go devoted (longsword) for my first playthrough.  I'm assuming fists never made it to the weapon focus picks.

Soul Blade and Cleave is disgusting not much else to say. Monk Cipher seems good but balanced compared to soul blade and Cleave.

Is this a Soul Blade + Devoted build? If so, what are the specifics of it?

You take Soul Blade and Devoted, you play them, Cleave is one of the modal stances of fighter. It's a very straightforward and easy build you just remember not to take any Cipher talents except Soul Blade and Biting Whip.

You take Soul Blade and Devoted, you play them, Cleave is one of the modal stances of fighter. It's a very straightforward and easy build you just remember not to take any Cipher talents except Soul Blade and Biting Whip.

What devoted weapon and stat-array did you go for? Pretty new and just looking for general building blocks to start off with.

A Nalpazca is pretty strong too because with high alchemy drug last very long. U can generate wound per 3 sec with drugs on.

For what it's worth, this has been nerfed to 1 Wound per 6 seconds. 

Also, Alchemy in general appears to be weaker.  I think it still boosts drug duration, but doesn't seem to make the effects stronger, too, like it did in the Beta. 

How is Shattered Pillar Monk as a single-class character? Obviously we're all excited to be able to multiclass, so I think a lot of us are thinking about multiclass combinations before we think about how single-class works, at least for melee characters.

I'm having a really tough time deciding between going single-class Shattered Pillar Monk, or multiclassing it with Ascendant Cipher. The delayed ability progression for multiclassing worries me--it'll be a lot longer before I get AoE CC skills like Torment's Reach and Amplified Wave--but it's possible that it's worth that trade-off for the versatility.

Fantastic.  Single class monk is fantastic no matter the variant.  

Ascendant Cipher is a bit useless because ascendant ciphers don't scale their melee damage at all, they only cast the actual cipher spells better, which is pretty dodgy.  

Also the thing people don't appreciate about multi classes is how few abilities you can take.  It's not that you get there more slowly, it's the fact you have the same number of abilities split across two classes, meaning that having an actual viable pool of Cipher abilities is unbelievably tricky if you multi class and cast.  If you are multi classing into Cipher you are either going soulblade or nothing without a doubt.  

Edited by Urthor

Fantastic.  Single class monk is fantastic.

Well that's promising, then! Multiclassing is cool but Shattered Pillar addressed everything that prevented me from making my Watcher a Monk in PoE1 (specifically, I didn't want to need to tank to have resources to do my skills). So I guess I'll dive right in with pure Monk!

Ascendant Cipher is a bit useless because ascendant ciphers don't scale their melee damage at all, they only cast the actual cipher spells better, which is pretty dodgy.  

Also the thing people don't appreciate about multi classes is how few abilities you can take.  It's not that you get there more slowly, it's the fact you have the same number of abilities split across two classes, meaning that having an actual viable pool of Cipher abilities is unbelievably tricky if you multi class and cast.  If you are multi classing into Cipher you are either going soulblade or nothing without a doubt.

Do you have to take an equal number of abilities from each class? One drawback I could see to Soul Blade is if I end up with a bunch of Cipher spells I never cast because I'm dumping all of my Focus into Soul Annihilation, in which case I'd probably rather be a pure Monk.

Edited by AgentNoun

Anyone so far tried Monk/Barbarian? I know Frenzy and Swift Strikes don't stuck but that is also an opportunity to give up one of them and take other talents you'd normally skip to upgrade of those. Shattered Pillar/Berserker looks like nice combo (if you solo or have rest of the party ranged) when you give up either Swift Strikes or Frenzy. Wounds all day with Torments Reach + Carnage proc + 30% Hits to Crit.

Anyone tested/played? Thoughts?

Edited by Voltron

Could you share your buil

While not a solo build, I stumbled into Thaumaturge - Wizard/Evoker Priest/Eothas.

I was playing on veteran but I am going to up it to potd when I load up next because on veteran it is too faceroll.

Could you share your build bro?  I wouldn't mind seeing the details :D

Anyone so far tried Monk/Barbarian? I know Frenzy and Swift Strikes don't stuck but that is also an opportunity to give up one of them and take other talents you'd normally skip to upgrade of those. Shattered Pillar/Berserker looks like nice combo (if you solo or have rest of the party ranged) when you give up either Swift Strikes or Frenzy. Wounds all day with Torments Reach + Carnage proc + 30% Hits to Crit.

Quick from Swift Strikes grants a speed bonus that stacks with Frenzy. More importantly, you need to take Swift Strikes in order to get Swift Flurry (or Lightning Strikes). So you could replace Swift Strikes with Wild Sprint later in the game, but you wouldn't want to because Swift Flurry/Lightning strikes are so good.

OTOH single-class Monk gets Thunderous Blows which grants Tenacious, same Might and Pen bonuses as Beserker Frenzy. But Berserker Frenzy hit-to-crit goes well with Swift Flurry. 

Quick from Swift Strikes grants a speed bonus that stacks with Frenzy. More importantly, you need to take Swift Strikes in order to get Swift Flurry (or Lightning Strikes). So you could replace Swift Strikes with Wild Sprint later in the game, but you wouldn't want to because Swift Flurry/Lightning strikes are so good.

OTOH single-class Monk gets Thunderous Blows which grants Tenacious, same Might and Pen bonuses as Beserker Frenzy. But Berserker Frenzy hit-to-crit goes well with Swift Flurry. 

Wait so Swift Strikes stack with Frenzy or not... I am confused now :D

Wait so Swift Strikes stack with Frenzy or not... I am confused now :D

Two activated abilities that directly boost attribute x don't stack. However, if one of them boosts attribute y that indirectly increases attribute x, that increase will stack with another ability that directly increases attribute x. So the direct speed bonus from Swift Strikes doesn't stack with Frenzy, but Swift Strikes grants Quick for +5 dexterity which boosts action speed indirectly, and that stacks with Frenzy. 

Barbarian also has a passive (non-activated ability), Bloodlust, which grants a speed bonus that stacks with activated abilities.  

I'm trying a barbmonk now and yeah, it seems like early levels your go-to is just open combat with Swift then Frenzy, and then go ham.

So are there any comparable builds for rogues or ranged? I have tried sharpshooter assassin and bleakwater assassin and they seem kind of meh

If I go devoted typically speaking should I go 1h or 2h?

Final question how offestive is 2h vs dual weird for backstab?