• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is no release date.

When he had less busy times at Obsidian he would write for the TTRPG during work hours as well, but at the moment Josh is writing it in his free time.
Which I appreciate.

The last "update" on it was on a Twitch stream some days ago where Josh showed what he was working on and took questions etc.
Imo it's looking great so far (especially the lore parts but also the meta-rules which allow you to build your own abilities/spells etc.).
But lots of work left I guess.   

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2020 at 11:49 AM, Aranduin said:

I reaally want see the final edition. I would like (but I doubt it will happen) a Kickstarter for see a good edition and some supplements.

I don't think there's a release date for it, it's just "whenever."

If they did crowdfunding, they'd probably have to use Fig because the CEO is on the board (it's why they used it for Pillars 2, despite problems). Lords of the Eastern Reach (6.5/10, I noticed) was Kickstarted, though, although I didn't even realize it was out and likely wouldn't get it except for the Pillars tie-ins, otherwise seems pretty forgettable.

Lords of the Eastern Reach wasn't done by Obsidian but Zero Radius Games and before Deadfire/fig.co times. LotER was announced in May 2015 and fig.co only opened doors in October of that year. 

As I said before: Josh Sawyer writes the TTRPG in his free time (currently) so I wouldn't think we'll see any crowdfunding for this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 11:04 AM, Tencatta said:

I don't think there's a release date for it, it's just "whenever."

If they did crowdfunding, they'd probably have to use Fig because the CEO is on the board (it's why they used it for Pillars 2, despite problems). Lords of the Eastern Reach (6.5/10, I noticed) was Kickstarted, though, although I didn't even realize it was out and likely wouldn't get it except for the Pillars tie-ins, otherwise seems pretty forgettable.

When I said Kickstarter I meant to any system to raise money

• 1 month later...

My impression so far...

Good stuff

I feel that the concept of the mechanics is rather nice. Many skills to have and ways to uttilize others to aid the. It a roll vs. DC which to me is standard and intuitive.  I love the acestries and cultures that make the charcters unique and modular. Some of those abillities are very canonical to the game. Top amongst them is the "Dyrwooden Hello" that is super reminecent of the first game and I loved it. I rather liked the dissabilties; broken arm cuncussion ect. Im gonna use them in other games too. 

The bad stuff (im my opinion)

1. The combat is wonkey to me at best and all over the place if im being honest. The fact that there is soak/deflection/abillity affliction(each with its own level) /wounds/exhaustion/hit points/bloodied/winded and on top of that the charmed frightened poisened conditions and so on is wayyyyy to mutch math and book keeping for a fun game to be had considering that even the GM has to do his own book keeping since many powers target the same things. This mught be easy in a computer game but im very unconvinced hiw fun it is for real players.

2. The powers: in contrast to some of the beautiful recial and cultural traits written. The powers are lackluster in evocativness and natural language that makes the plyer have the "thats so dope I have to get this!!!" Feel. 

3. More on powers: if I understud correctly, guile and arcana stem from the same source as much as focus and disipline. Even so, why must they all rely on inteligance for their pool to use. Here in contrast to the floating conditions abd moddifires, i would have incorpareted different mechanics that rely on different attributes and maybe diiferen conditions for the to be earned... like it the computer game.

3. More on powers (fluff): the powers, if you ask me should not all be dependant on the wheel. Guile is how quick and cunning a rouge is and dicipline is how powerfull and bad ass a fighter/ soldier is. I dont see how it is actualy supernatural instead of just plain being amazing. And that, to me, feels more thematic and evocative. 

4. Wounds: any thing you have to devide by foure and make players treck is going to gett overlooked cause its just to tedious to do in real time play.

I played many years of ttrpgs of many kinds. Path finder is I would say the clossest in book keeping I played and its much easier then this. Im a huge huge fan if poe and tyranny for that matter. Im very excited to see what this game becomes. Allso would like to hear more news here and on the media like twitter and facbook. Thanks 😋🤘

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 2:14 PM, Boeroer said:

Lords of the Eastern Reach wasn't done by Obsidian but Zero Radius Games and before Deadfire/fig.co times. LotER was announced in May 2015 and fig.co only opened doors in October of that year. 

As I said before: Josh Sawyer writes the TTRPG in his free time (currently) so I wouldn't think we'll see any crowdfunding for this.

I thought there were Obsidian people on this and it was an Obsidian product, but my apologies, I got it wrong.

I would not rule out crowdfunding, a number of developers do crowdfunding when there game or product is at 75% (or whatever point the TTRPG is at, it seems to be in limbo).

• 2 weeks later...

Josh was playing another Pillars TTRPG session of his Dyrwood campaign yesterday. It seems to be in a state where you can already play.

Edited by Boeroer

• 5 months later...